If you are set to 1200 and don't exercise

Options
I am getting SICK! I feel like crap and cannot even think about exercising tonight. I am just getting back on track here so I don't want to mess anything up. What I normally do is eat my 1200 and if I have quite a few exercise calories eat those too. If it is under 100 I don't.

Today I have 350 calories left JUST to meet the 1200 calories. I hate going under and seeing the "starvation" warning. I don't do it all the time and it will never happen once I am back working out more but when it does happen the odd time is it ok? I still have my evening snack (not included in that 350) but was going to have a bowl of oatmeal now and then my snack around 11. That will put my calories just below by 50, better the 350!

WWYD?

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    don't panic. it's ok.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    oh and sometimes I eat to make sure I hit the mark but if you're not hungry you're not hungry, you know, unless you have diabetes or something, just listen to your body.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    do what you need to do to keep your body healthy and yourself feeling better. :) eat and sleep and work out when you feel better. Your body needs to heal. :)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Same from me. Once in a while it does not hurt to be under. Just make sure you get enough fluids in you! Feel Better!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    So long as its not a regular thing, no biggie, same with going over, this is a lifestyle change and you have to live day in and day out.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been sick for a week and while I've felt up to doing some light exercise now and then, I haven't been very hungry either. Don't worry about it. If you're not hungry, don't eat. Why force feed yourself when you don't have an appetite?
  • kelfox
    kelfox Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am also sick, gnarly cold has me down. Somehow I did exercise today and yesterday, my worst sicky days. Everyone around me advised me NOT to exercise, but I didn't want to lose my endorphin "fix" and figured I wouldn't feel any WORSE after I exercise. I was right, I don't feel worse, I still feel terrible. I have no appetite, but a couple of hours after the workout I did feel that empty feeling in my stomach which encouraged me to eat something and I think, aside from other obvious things, working out while sick helped me eat a healthy amount of calories today. Maybe just try an easy workout, do you do DVDs or maybe just a simple walk around the block, then come home and have some chicken soup and whole wheat Saltines. I hope you feel better soon! Happy NYEve! -Kel:wink:
  • edmontonukeplayer
    edmontonukeplayer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I try to use the caloric and the nutritional stats together to guide my eating. When I first started MFP focused mainly on calories but now I really like the daily nutritional stats provided on MFP and I think this feature has helped improve my eating as much as watching calories. If I get the little messages about starvation but my stats for protein and other important nutrients when eating less i.e. vitamins, fiber are good then I don't stress. In fact, I try to keep intake just a little under the ~ 1200 (depending on exercise) as I like getting the little message that says ~ "completed day and under caloric goal". Not always successful it staying under caloric goals, as someone else pointed out, sometimes up/sometimes down seems okay as generally in healthy parameters. I agree fluids also NB, especially when sick.

As I said, I always try to make sure daily protein requirement met as I believe this NB for my weight loss and I do not eat a whole lot of meat. So when I am sick (and if I can stomach food) my little trick/treat to start or especially end day if needed is: throw laughing cow low cal cheese wedge in a bowl or mug with 1/4 cup egg white replacer (I use NatureEggs egg whites), salt & pepper and microwave for a couple minutes. Very good, high nutrient stats and still very low calorie. I make this frequently when not sick, but then of course have more energy so to this basic "protein treat", I will also throw in whatever easy to chop up veggies in fridge (most often red pepper for taste and Vitamin A, mushrooms, celery, onions, etc. etc.) and then microwave. Only thing is make sure fill mug with water to soak after or difficult to wash up dish. If you don't hate the taste of eggs, etc. etc. you may wish to give this little protein treat a try sometime!

Feel better soon