Breaking the plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    Well, I don't think I have any particularly unique advice, but what eventually got me over my last plateau (I was having problems getting below 183--I was stuck there for about a month) was taking a short break. I didn't even mean for it to happen!

I had been eating really well for about three months without any breaks and I decided to not log anything when I spent three days at a relative's lake house for a 4th of July barbeque. I didn't gorge or anything--I just didn't worry about it. I was terrified to weigh myself when I got back, but I was totally elated when I stepped on the scale and saw that I'd lost 5 pounds! It stayed off, too, and I was able to consistently lose more weight after that.

Too bad I gained it all back last year after surgery... :brokenheart:

Anyway, that's just my daily anecdote. :laugh: Take from it what you will.

PS Your diet is immaculate! :love: I wish I had that much fortitude. Haha.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Obese person signing in after finally having a loss after 2 weeks of being up on the scale. To me it wasn't a plateau but stall due to TOM and too much salty Easter ham. :) Sodium is such a sneaky *****. Don't keep track of it and, bam, up on the scale.

But I have had a couple of stalls in the past and the only thing that has worked for me is to stay on plan with my eating and exercise and eventually the scale reads lower. Sometimes it just takes some time to catch up. For example, in the last 2 days I am down almost 5 lbs from my weight 2 weeks ago. I know I didn't lose that much fat that quickly but I know some of it must be since I am now at my lowest weight to date.

I didn't get fat overnight so I know that I won't lose overnight. That is my mantra when I see that the scale isn't moving even though I am doing everything "right" in terms of exercise and eating. I also take time to look at my overall weight loss line graph, it is up and down and up and down but always trending downward so I know I am doing OK.
  • kurviekutie
    kurviekutie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thesimsisters

Great post
    Thank You, I had been feeling a bit frustrated after stalling for three weeks.
    Your post was just the boost I needed.:flowerforyou:

Glad it gave you some encouragement! I am finally breaking through to the other side of it. It can be so defeating. I have to keep telling myself I can go another day or even stick to it another hour. :)
  • kurviekutie
    Options
    Well, I don't think I have any particularly unique advice, but what eventually got me over my last plateau (I was having problems getting below 183--I was stuck there for about a month) was taking a short break. I didn't even mean for it to happen!

I had been eating really well for about three months without any breaks and I decided to not log anything when I spent three days at a relative's lake house for a 4th of July barbeque. I didn't gorge or anything--I just didn't worry about it. I was terrified to weigh myself when I got back, but I was totally elated when I stepped on the scale and saw that I'd lost 5 pounds! It stayed off, too, and I was able to consistently lose more weight after that.

Too bad I gained it all back last year after surgery... :brokenheart:

Anyway, that's just my daily anecdote. :laugh: Take from it what you will.

PS Your diet is immaculate! :love: I wish I had that much fortitude. Haha.

Thanks! Surgery is what got me in this mess in the first place. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You can and will get back where you want to be :)
  • kurviekutie
    Options
    Obese person signing in after finally having a loss after 2 weeks of being up on the scale. To me it wasn't a plateau but stall due to TOM and too much salty Easter ham. :) Sodium is such a sneaky *****. Don't keep track of it and, bam, up on the scale.

But I have had a couple of stalls in the past and the only thing that has worked for me is to stay on plan with my eating and exercise and eventually the scale reads lower. Sometimes it just takes some time to catch up. For example, in the last 2 days I am down almost 5 lbs from my weight 2 weeks ago. I know I didn't lose that much fat that quickly but I know some of it must be since I am now at my lowest weight to date.

I didn't get fat overnight so I know that I won't lose overnight. That is my mantra when I see that the scale isn't moving even though I am doing everything "right" in terms of exercise and eating. I also take time to look at my overall weight loss line graph, it is up and down and up and down but always trending downward so I know I am doing OK.

Thanks for that insight. I don't track sodium much because I tend to avoid salty foods... except FRENCH FRIES!!! Actually I have been avoiding them like the plague because I can't just eat a few! LOL! I have to eat three or four potatoes worth! Little buggers ;) I am starting to see some movement finally. My hubby thinks some of the problem may be that I am eating so darn healthy my body is taking it all in and savoring it! LOL! In other words he is implying that I am probably full of *kitten*. LOL! In any case, the scale is moving slowly but surely and I am wearing my smaller sized jeans (fresh out of the dryer!) without having to lay down to zip them! HAHA!