Struggling to accept

Options
I've not quite reached my goal, but I am really struggling to accept my new body.

I didn't have a lot to lose, maybe just 20 lbs or so, but now I am at a point were I am quite slim, and all my old clothes are baggy, and I stand at my wardrobe every morning quite lost and afraid. I put on my old clothes and feel saggy, I put on new clothes and feel tarty and obvious, but I wear them anyway. But when I do wear new clothes out of the house I will catch myself in a mirror with my slightly stuck out tummy and wish I had worn my old clothes, so no one can see my tummy.

I was self-conscious before the weight loss, but now perhaps even moreso. I don't dare to wear the nice tight clothes that fit and it is really getting me down.

Has anyone else experienced this and how do you get over it?

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the process of losing weight and I've got quite a way to go, but I did notice a difference after losing 12 kg. I know what you mean about the anxiety though.

I've gotten over it now because it's been a while since I lost the weight. Also, I didn't get myself a new wardrobe, I just buy clothes in a smaller size when I buy them but I still wear the old stuff that fits (but then, I'm not bothered about fashion). I was worried that more people would look at me (I'm quite averse to being checked out, it usually gives me the creeps to a rather disproportionate extent) but it's not been that bad - when it happens, I'm relatively calm (I've worked on my anxiety over the past year). Otherwise, I've kept things similar, and it's been quite interesting when I do try on new clothes. I wore a dress to a wedding recently, and when I felt myself get a bit self-conscious and droopy I just thought about what a proud drag queen would do, pushed my shoulders back and enjoyed myself.

It's good to try and find what exactly is making you anxious. It's not the weight loss itself - the physical part - but your perspective. What are you worried about?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It is hard to recognize a body that looks different. And I so understand what you mean by wearing new clothes and feeling 'tarty'. I especially feel that way as I'm older and want to both look good and also look age appropriate. (I'm a professor and so am surrounded by young people all the time, so I can't look like a fuddy duddy and don't want to look like them.)

I had the same experience. I lost 38 pounds - but I'm pretty tall and that was 20% of my original body. Suddenly I looked in the mirror and was confused because I saw someone I hadn't seen there for 30 years. I liked it, but it muddled me. It still does sometime, much as I enjoy it.

First - NO ONE NOTICED THAT TUMMY EXCEPT YOU.

Second, it will probably go away - especially as you exercise. Your muscles and skin will tight up around that empty space that used to be fat. In addition to weight lifting, which people will recommend, I have three simpler exercises. First, situps really work. Second, an exercise my mom taught me was just lying on my back and pushing my stomach muscles out as far as I could and holding and then in and holding. You can put books on your stomach when you do it. I find it works wonders. Third, I sit on an exercise ball chair at work and it has taken several inches off my waist and my hips since I've been using it last year. I look much better than I did last year, even though I haven't lost any weight or done rigorous exercise.

Third, I altered my favorite tops so they would look good but be familiar and just bought some pants that fit. You can alter pants by taking in an inch or two AT THE SEAT. Sew the seam and then finish and clip it. You can alter loose tank tops by slimming the side seams or adding darts at the back that give some shape.

Another strategy I use is to take my favorite blouses - now too big - and wear them over tank tops or camisoles (there are ones with shelf bras and also ones with shoulders wide enough to hold a bra. It both shows off your new slim body and is modest and familiar.

You sound depressed. Enjoy your success. And think if there are other issues that are bothering you as well. Is this deeper than just the weight loss?
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You reached your goal you should be proud!

I do understand that you may attract new attention but its not negative. I feel energised, fit and healthy since I've lost weight.

How about skinny jeans and a loose fitting shirt? There are many ways to dress your shape. I still don't have a flat tummy but consider myself slim. A good fitting tshirt, jeans and blazer can look stylish without being figure hugging. You have lots of options!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal yet, but I've went from 202 to 135. So I know exactly what you mean with this post. I actually do the same thing. I am so happy to be able to squeeze into a size 4 now, but then I get self conscious to actually wear the small jeans outside. my family and I went to a spa with pools, hot tub, sauna in September. When I went into the changing room and put on my suit, I thought I should have just worn my old bathing suit and I was very self conscious. When I walked out to the pool, my family all made remarks, they said they had no idea how small I was cuz I was always covered up with baggy sweat pants and hooded shirts. They just didn't understand what I was feeling. So yes, its very hard to adjust to our new bodies and hopefully the confidence will soon follow along :-)
  • storyborey
    storyborey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just want to thank everyone for your replies. I thought it might be just me who felt this way, when I did a google search all I could find were posts on body dysmorphia and posts on feeling fatter after losing weight, and this is none of those things. I do feel thin, but I also feel foreign and unusual. Perhaps it will get easier as some of you have said, really I have no reason to doubt that it will, but the transition from not to skinny to quite skinny is far more than merely a physical change. I never saw it coming.

I do feel a bit silly, after all i've not lost a huge amount of weight, certainly not enough for everyone I know to comment. I really can't imagine how people who lose stone after stone must feel. I think you're very brave, really.

To nxd10, you're probably right, this feeling is not linked to weight loss alone, but I think very few people who are insecure about how they look and how they feel can claim it to be purely due to one thing in their life.

Summer is coming, and I hope very much that I am confident enough to wear the pretty dresses this time. That is my new goal.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it. I don't like revealing clothes in public and only "tart up" (cute lol) when I'm on a date with my DH. I like the suggestion of wearing your old button down shirts open over tank tops . I do that too. Baggy clothes are more compfy but it's good to wear fitted clothing that look flattering.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    old habits die hard.. or in your case are still alive. you dislike your body no matter. you need to realize that and make an effort to rid yourself of this need to put yourself down. I'm sure you look fit and wonderful. You deserve new clothes..wear them and take photos of yourself with them on and compare them to you wearing your old baggy things. then pack up your old clothes and donate them to someone who needs them.

I often look on the "success" forum and see people who are thinner ..but they are wearing their old blah look like they don't deserve to be the new them.

Strut your stuff! you deserve it.
  • zkjmum
    zkjmum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Recognising that you don't have to wear tight clothes just because you're smaller is a good first step. Nor do your clothes need to be baggy. I would go for styles of shirts that have a flattering neckline and are loose around the middle...if you look at fashion magazines, that's how a lot of celebrities dress when you see them out shopping etc.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think it's quite overwhelming to find the "new" you - styles and clothes and colors that you are comfortable in and look good.

I know, for me, I found and fell in love with dresses - especially skater style.

Aside from these I am still struggling - most my clothes are still too big for me and although I love my jeans (Straight leg, skinny), I now have issues where my skin droops over the edges so wearing the tight tops I want to make me look fat.

Spend some time shopping - take a good friend with you and explore different styles - even if you try on the whole store and don't buy anything. You can look pretty without being tarty and show off your new body shape.

Confidence also comes into it. As time goes on and your confidence increases you'll feel more comfortable in those new clothes ;)

Nyk x
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Be happy for what you've achieved. I think it all starts with loving and accepting yourself.
  • dorothy_brigham
    dorothy_brigham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your accomplishment! You have worked hard to earn where you are. It is sad that I have lost 79 pounds and "friends" don't comment because they are jealous. True friends should be happy for you! If you are looking for great clothes prices, check out Zulily. What helped me was going to a rummage sale in one of my old, floppy sweatshirts and the lady having the sale told me "You are a medium and should start dressing like one." Talk about moral support from a complete stranger! She gave me a shirt that fits great! Go girl! You have done well...
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think I can relate to you on some levels.
    When I lost my 88ish lbs, I still saw fat Kim in the mirror, it took a long time for me to believe I really had a new body. But in time I came around and I don't really feel this way anymore. I can promise you no one noticed your tummy, but if you would feel better I honestly believe lifting weights does help.

My story Is a little different. I lost the weight, but since I had twins 8 years ago my stomach was just shot. Although I knew I looked SO much better and I knew I was smaller (since 18 to 6/8) I couldn't live with the fact I worked my *kitten* off and still had to tuck my gut into my pants. I ended up having a tummy tuck in December, it really changed my perspective. But again my story is different. I didn't have a small role, I had 4lbs of skin just hanging around.

Just because I lost all the weight, didn't mean I was going to be a different person, with hugely different styles... I remember thinking, even if I had the perfect body I would still NEVER wear a bikini, and I won't. It's not me. Dresses aren't really me either. Sure my style has changed some, because I am not buying things to hide me, but now buying things that compliment my better body shape... but in a comfort zone for me.

I think you will get there. Embrace your new body, find new clothes that compliment your style and your body.

You deserve it.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've not quite reached my goal, but I am really struggling to accept my new body.

I didn't have a lot to lose, maybe just 20 lbs or so, but now I am at a point were I am quite slim, and all my old clothes are baggy, and I stand at my wardrobe every morning quite lost and afraid. I put on my old clothes and feel saggy, I put on new clothes and feel tarty and obvious, but I wear them anyway. But when I do wear new clothes out of the house I will catch myself in a mirror with my slightly stuck out tummy and wish I had worn my old clothes, so no one can see my tummy.

I was self-conscious before the weight loss, but now perhaps even moreso. I don't dare to wear the nice tight clothes that fit and it is really getting me down.

Has anyone else experienced this and how do you get over it?

I'm in the same boat. I lost the 20 lbs that I needed to.. and now i'm left more self conscious than before. I don't know what to tell you. I'm just letting you know i'm in the same situation and am looking for help too. It really gets me down sometimes. It's never good enough.
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    I highly HIGHLY recommend a shopping trip to Goodwill or Savers. You can get TONS of great stuff for practically nothing and it will really help you get through the struggle. At least a little. Don't let this phase sabotage your success. These current funky feelings would just be replaced with those other funky feelings.

Next suggestion, stop focusing on the physical part of it and focus on the health part of it. You have given yourself a very very valuable gift here and it's not about appearance.
  • melindareese
    melindareese Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I do not like people checking me out. I am rather large breasted and feel a little degraded by the attention. I do realize why I have these issues and know why I didn't mind be over weight to a certain point. I try to focus on how I feel about myself and just try to ignore the stares I think I feel. I feel heathy, confident, and more self assured.my point is that when we feel like this we just need to work on our inner selves and stop worrying about other peoples thoughts. Which we have no control of or any idea really of what they think :)
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling. I've lost 28lbs, never been fitter/stronger, never felt less sexy or appealing in my life - maybe that's being 46 though lol because I haven't been THAT before either!

I'm 18mths into maintenance and still don't like me! Actually, worse, I'm ambivalent.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's a lot like puberty all over again, getting used to your "new" body.

I have lost 120 lb and gotten back to my weight from when I was 15 years old, at age 37 it is disconcerting. I am still overweight but I suddenly realize that I honestly do have kind of "nice legs" and that is weird for me. I am not used to my shape or the way that tops fit. When I wore a size 22 or 3X my DD chest did not look obscene in any dresses or lower cut tops that I wore, as it matched the rest of my body...now a 14 with DD it can look a bit "tarty" as you say, I have to be more cautious. I am used to wearing stuff that came down to cover my belly and even most of my hips and now some of my shirts are to the waist and I feel oddly exposed at times.

It has gotten MUCH better though...in the past 4-5 months I have come to feel 100% comfortable with skinny jeans for example...the first couple of times I wore them to work, I felt totally embarrassed and strange even with a long sweater over them. You will eventually come to feel comfortable in your body. Oh and BTW I understand that even a 15-20 lb loss on someone much smaller is similar to my loss when it comes to body confidence and changes!! Good luck!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit like this too, and I've still got 30 lbs to go. I've gone from size 16/18 to 10/12 and it's tough to reconcile that I look different but feel exactly the same on the inside. It doesn't help that the only decent mirror I have access to is at the office, and I find myself staring at the person I see reflected. It's me, but it isn't.

For clothes I've started layering more. I still wear quite a lot of the baggy tops, but put a tank or camisole underneath. The layering is helping me comes to terms with the new me, keeps it decent and means I haven't had to buy a whole load of new clothes yet, apart from a couple of pairs of pants.
  • hada1967
    hada1967 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have finally gotten used to my new weight and have found I am a clothes horse. Love the fact I can go in almost any store and buy clothes. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall female and I have lost 225 pounds and am 62 years old. I manage to keep it off so far for about 6 months. I do have a problem that if I am not losing I must be gaining. Even though the scale tells me I'm ok. I gain a pound or two and I begin to diet again, working on getting over this. have been here two times before which is part of my battle I know how easy it is to fall off the wagon. It is a battle that I hate but I have to stick to it. 380 to 155
  • raelia
    raelia Posts: 23
    Options
    I have lost 78 pounds, and all of my clothes started falling off. I had to buy new ones and they fell off too. Normally, I do not see myself as the much smaller person than I was. I feel kind of in awe and a little strange wearing non-plus sized clothing. I went to a store the other day, and all the women there helped me find something that looked appropriate and nice on me. I felt really weird about my stomach area. I took pictures of me in the outfit, and I could barely see it. Now if I want a better idea of my appearance, I take pictures!