How many calories should I count form Striiv workout?

Options
I got the Striiv and I love it! I know I am taking extra steps because of the challenges and the chance to donate clean water to someone in a 3rd world country. I know some of the steps recorded are just ones that would normally be part of my daily life (BMR) but some are extra because Striiv motivates me to move more. For example so far today I have walked over 10,00 steps and according to the Striiv burned 963 calories. How many, if any, do I count towards exercise? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm first going to get a little pedantic, but it's to make sure we are on the same page.

BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate. It's what you would burn if you were in a coma. It's generally measured upon waking in a darkened room after 8 hours of sleep following a 12 hour fast.

RMR stands for Resting Metabolic Rate. It's what you burn if you laid around in bed all day. It includes the thermogenic effect of food and higher metabolism.

Your lifestyle is a multiplier on top of your RMR to account for calories burned throughout the day, and I think this is what you're talking about. For people who have a sedentary job (office worker, etc) it's an additional 20%. Most others have a much higher multiple.

I don't know your lifestyle multiple, but my suggestion would be that approx half of your daily life calorie burn comes from walking. So if your RMR is 2000 calories, and your lifestyle type is lightly active (.375) your lifestyle addition would be 750. Half of that is 375. Back that out of your striiv figure.
  • mickey2168
    mickey2168 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay - thanks! Appreciate it!
  • breeezy1030
    breeezy1030 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I LIKE STRIIV AND I ACTUALLY HAD BEEN USING IT SINCE BEFORE MFP, BUT WHEN I SYNC IT, IT GETS TO BE A LITTLE CONFUSING. I DONT WANT TO OVER DO MY CALORIC INTAKE THINKING THAT I AM BURNING MORE THAN I ACTUALLY AM. I JUST READ THE PREVIOUS POST, AND IT DIDN'T DO MUCH TO HELP ME UNDERSTAND. ITS IRRITATING BECAUSE I REALLY WANTED TO USE IT TOGETHER WITH MFP! I THINK I WILL JUST CONTINUE USING IT TO COUNT MY STEPS AND MILEAGE, BUT UNLESS I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE SURE I DONT OVERESTIMATE MY CALORIES BURNED, IM GOING TO UNSYNC. ANYONE WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS PLS HELP? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, SYNC OR UNSYNC?
  • finsy
    finsy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I'm also wondering, if I have my MFP account set to sedentary, then if I'm wearing my Striiv smart pedometer should I count all calories it says I burn during the day or half it like someone mentioned here...
    Looking for relatively accurate results so I don't over eat
    :)