When are you considered to be a runner?

Options
Is it a certain distance? pace? # of days per week you do it?

I ran just a little over a 5k today with a 10:17 average. Today got me thinking

Replies

• aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    if you run you are a runner
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Your first run.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    if you run you are a runner
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Fast people say there is a difference between "running" and "jogging" but slow people know there isn't. There is a difference between running and walking, certainly -- so if you aren't walking -- and you'd have to be a speedy walker to do a 10:17 walking pace, you are certainly a runner. I've been running since 1976, sometimes 2-3x a week, sometimes more -- but I'm slower than most people no matter how much I train. Go for it!
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are running with crossfit not just straight running.
    This was the only "run" this week.
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When you willingly get up early to go for a run. When you pay money for the opportunity to go run on the road. When running shoes out number regular shoes. When you devote a drawer just to tech shirts. When it's crappy weather and you still get out there and move.

I figure if you are off the couch and moving it counts.

I was a slow runner for a few years (didn't start until I was almost 30, and running on ankles that shouldn't be run on), and blew up my ankle this past fall. But, my speed walk is faster than some runners. Still going to count myself as a runner :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When you either run regularly, or miss doing it regularly.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    after you take your first step.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think that's up to the individual to decide. If you decide and feel you are a runner, then you are. When does one know which gender they identify with the most? Or how they define their ethnicity? I don't believe there is a set standard in measureable values because it's probably a personal feeling of identifying with a group. I considered myself a runner when I ran my first mile. That was my first sign that I could do it. I didn't try to run for health/fun until I was 17.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think that's up to the individual to decide. If you decide and feel you are a runner, then you are. When does one know which gender they identify with the most? Or how they define their ethnicity? I don't believe there is a set standard in measureable values because it's probably a personal feeling of identifying with a group. I considered myself a runner when I ran my first mile. That was my first sign that I could do it. I didn't try to run for health/fun until I was 17.
    Agree
  • FFfitgirl
    Options
    I don't run regularly cause I do crossfit6 days.
    When I do run its around 2-3 1/4 miles. I guess since I don't do several days a week I don't really think of myself as a runner
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't run regularly cause I do crossfit6 days.
    When I do run its around 2-3 1/4 miles. I guess since I don't do several days a week I don't really think of myself as a runner

If you don't think of yourself as one, then you aren't. It is really just up to you. There is no criteria.

I'll be honest, I never counted my CrossFIt running as "running", my other runs were what made me a runner. That doesn't mean you can't, I just didn't.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    the day you lace up your shoes and get out and run. you are a runner.
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great answer!
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fast people say there is a difference between "running" and "jogging" but slow people know there isn't. There is a difference between running and walking, certainly -- so if you aren't walking -- and you'd have to be a speedy walker to do a 10:17 walking pace, you are certainly a runner. I've been running since 1976, sometimes 2-3x a week, sometimes more -- but I'm slower than most people no matter how much I train. Go for it!

Great answer!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    When you put it on facebook. Nothing's official unless you put it on facebook.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I'm going to change my answer to this ^

:laugh:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options

yes forget my answer and I'm changing it to this. lol
  • FFfitgirl
    Options

Does Map my run automatically posting it count? lol
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Does Map my run automatically posting it count? lol

If you have taken the time to set up map my run and link it to your Facebook your probably a runner :laugh: :wink: