new to this and basically to exercise in general

Options
hi everyone. im jessika, im 18, about to go to college, and, besides the last week, i haven't exercised since middle school. i played alot of video games during high school, but not so much now. im also a snack lover, but im trying to fix that and loose some weight for myself. im hoping this website will encourage me to exercise more and eat right. :)

Replies

• Remilover23237
    Remilover23237 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    support is always around you in life:) trust me I know what you mean about snaking iv learned to snack on celery doesn't sound the best but its something to chew and well yea it helps me lol
  • suicidegrunty
    Options
    yea i tried celery..uh..i like carrots haha XD and for something to chew i found this green tea gum. one piece has the benefits of one cup of green tea :)
  • Remilover23237
    Remilover23237 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    really? I have never heard of this gum lol where do you get it at the stores?
  • suicidegrunty
    Options
    you can get it at dollar stores! and it tastes like mint. :) only downside is its like juicy fruit and only lasts about 15-20 minutes each peice
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The main thing to remember if you're new to exercising is to take it slow at first. It's easy to overdo it and you won't feel it until the next day or so. Even though you'll feel like you can easily do so much more in a session, ramp up slowly. So many people kill themselves in the first few days of starting exercising and hurt so much the next few days that they just give up. Your muscles aren't used to the routine yet, but they learn fast.

You don't need special food for dieting. You just need to think about what you eat before you eat it. That determines how much you can have and will lead you to make better decisions. Keep a food diary and measure, weigh, and count everything at least for the first month (ideally all the way and into maintenance). It is a pain to do, but it really works. It helps to hold you accountable for food choices you make and helps to look back on what works and doesn't work for you. It's also the only way to learn what actual potions sizes are.