Question: When should I turn the walk into a jog?

I am 5'7, roughly 232 lbs, 43 years old. My exercise is mostly walking, about 3-4 times a week, usually for an hour. I walk at a pretty good pace, but I couldn't tell you exactly what pace. My question is, I really would like to start jogging. It may seem like a silly question, but when should I take my walking to jogging? And do I just start jogging? I don't want to think I'm jogging, when all I am actually doing is like that weird walk/jog. I would like to learn how to be a successful runner. Am I still too overweight to start thinking about that?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• evee7340
    evee7340 Posts: 24 Member
    I used to walk for a couple hours each day, and after some months it got to a point where I felt like I *could* walk faster, but my legs just couldn't go any faster while walking, if that makes sense. So I figured that meant I had to start jogging. And yes, you can just start! Or try some sort of couch-to-5k program. I do one sometimes, it gives a good run/walk schedule to ease you into it.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    I would say...now! Just start jogging, and go for as long as you can, even if thats only 30 seconds and then you need to walk again! As you start you can alternate jogging and walking as you need to, and soon you will be able to go longer and longer as you progress...so just go for it!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Just do it. I just started a few weeks ago. I honestly had thought I was in better shape, I've been lifting and doing some cardio DVDs for over a year. But, I can't keep the pace for long, so I'm definitely doing the run for 30 seconds, walk for a minute thing. But we got to start somewhere. And if we never start, we'll definitely never get better.

I still feel like people look at me funny, and my husbands cousins kind of make fun. But while I'm "wogging", they are riding on ATVs because they won't even attempt it. A c25k, or any type of walking app, can help you keep track of your distance and speed. You can see your improvements over time.
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    You should try the C25K running program.
    http://www.c25k.com/

You can use the app too.
  • jshoho
    jshoho Posts: 1 Member
    When I started exercising for an extended period of time [I was doing Aqua Aerobics, swimming and elliptical], I just started on the track and I would run and walk. The first time, I ran/walked over 2 miles and then, the next week, increased it to 3. I just completed my first 5k. My advice is that if you're comfortable with starting to jog, then just do it!!!!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    zombie 5k app is way less glitchy than all the others i tried. i started at 200 lbs, 47 years old, half way into my weight loss. i only did it cause walking was taking too long lol!
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    When I started at the beginning on January on this quest to lose weight I could barely walk the length of myself and my early initial walks I was crippled with shin splint pains, now 15 weeks and 66lbs lighter I am at the stage were I am busting to jog as I feel I have the energy to do it, I will start of walking and then I will pick a lamp post and jog between it and the next lamp post down the street, then walk for a couple of lamp posts then jog, I have been doing this for a couple of weeks now and just feel myself getting stronger every day.
  • kerwristea89
    kerwristea89 Posts: 17 Member
    sometimes I feel like I can just run and run and run....and the reality is that I can't. SO what I did was started to see how long I could jog at one time. I downloaded an app on my phone called C25K and it really helps me. I have done the first week two times now to get myself ready and to make sure that I am ready. For me it is tough, but I feel so much better and I can already tell where I am improving. I say try it...you have nothing to lose. Just do what you are okay with doing and don't push yourself way too hard. Have fun with it :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    If you feel like you wanna run...then run!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    If you want to jog...then jog :smile: Don't worry about how fast you're running. Do what feels natural. You'll find your pace and can always work up to a faster speed, or longer run :-) Great thing...you do it at YOUR pace!! I used to run @5.4. Now, I can run around 6.0. LOL...I get slower with each mile. I can't run for more than ~30 minutes, and let me tell you, when I hear that I made it 3 miles(the distance I try to reach w/out stopping) I'm SO ready to slow it down :laugh: Sometimes, I have to stop, walk a bit, and then I start jogging again.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    I used this C25K program https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/134 as it sync'd with MFP and I can use my own tunes and RunKeeper along with it. Zen Labs C25k Free

I also used an Interval Timer (there are freebies for your cell) and used that before finding C25K (Jeff Galaway Run/Walk), about the size of a small pager, clips to your clothing (beeps/vibrates) is a clock/stopwatch/timer.

Enjoy, go slow & stay injury free (nothing worse than starting out raring to go and getting sidelined with toe/foot/shin/knee injuries)
    Hopefully you got/will get fit for correct footwear.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    1) Get a C25K training plan
    2) Make sure you get running shoes and get them fitted at the running store.
    3) Listen to your body. You run when your body thinks she is ready and you walk when it thinks otherwise.

Good Luck. My best wishes to you.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Great thread! I started my jogging routine a couple weeks ago and now I'm addicted to it, I seen a schedule that showed me how to build up my pace gradually. In the first week, it says to jog for one minute and walk for four, repeating 4 times until 20 mins is up. I have since moved up to the next level which is jog for two mins straight and walk for three. It depends on the day because if my body doesn't want to jog, I'll walk a brisk 3.5 on a good incline until I get bored and that's when I do a jog of 4.5mph and it keeps me occupied and feeling challenged but safe on the joints. My advice is to start a jog when a brisk walk for an extended period of time gets boring. I'm an elliptical fanatic and now I'm looking forward to jogging over the elliptical now. You can do it!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    just start running. jogging is what my dad used to do in the 70s and 80s. lol. just run a bit, walk for a bit. but take it slow. that way you can go for longer periods of time running, then when your mind tells you to stop tell your mind screw you I'm going for another 60seconds. pretty soon you will be running 3.1miles. =)
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    NOW!!!!!