Dont know where im going wrong

Options
On the 20th march i started the gym and planned to eat better not only for my weight but for my health, I currently workout 5 days a week for 1 hour, i also walk alot and run after 4 kids my youngest is 10 months, im also breastfeeding. Although i feel im doing alot and eating well i don't seem to be budging much on the scales considering i have cut out so much junk. I have toned but just wondering is this normal as I thought i would notice the biggest difference in the beginning due to the drastic change in diet. which used to be high in sugar, fast food and soda. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and feel free to ask any questions . TIA

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary to help specifically but a few common things:

1. Not logging - you might be eating healthy but still eating at TDEE
    2. Not logging EVERYTHING - From the tbls of ketchup to the 3 chips and the single bliss candy, everything counts and can add up quick!
    3. Over estimating excercise and eating it all back - MFP usually overestimates, eat back half.
    4. Not accounting for a new workout routine causing water weight gain/beginner muscle gains
    5. Relying solely on the scale. You can lose fat and not lose weight. Do your clothes fit different, do you look different? - take before and after pics, get a measuring tape and check your measurements once a month/every other month, this can be a better indicator of fat loss than weight loss alone.
  • tinatashi
    tinatashi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing fine. You wrote that you have toned up; that's important. You are probably building up muscle and muscle mass also has weight.
  • Blowing_Daisies
    Blowing_Daisies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, i have got better on the logging front and eat really well i log everything as i weigh it all on the scales and only have the odd occasional treat like a slice of cake or a chocolate bar but its maybe once a week. I dont expect it to be an overnight miracle but was wondering am i doing something wrong thats slowing me down
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary to help specifically but a few common things:

1. Not logging - you might be eating healthy but still eating at TDEE
    2. Not logging EVERYTHING - From the tbls of ketchup to the 3 chips and the single bliss candy, everything counts and can add up quick!
    3. Over estimating excercise and eating it all back - MFP usually overestimates, eat back half.
    4. Not accounting for a new workout routine causing water weight gain/beginner muscle gains
    5. Relying solely on the scale. You can lose fat and not lose weight. Do your clothes fit different, do you look different? - take before and after pics, get a measuring tape and check your measurements once a month/every other month, this can be a better indicator of fat loss than weight loss alone.

What she said.. plus if you are breastfeeding be careful to not cut your calories too much. I have heard it affects milk production.
  • 8lackie
    8lackie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i didn't seem much change the first month I was working out and counting calories. I've learned to not use the scale as my temple.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    don't just monitor using hte scale, you can also measure (tape) and gauge how you feel, and look better (take piccies)

if you are eating at a deficit you will not gain muscle - though you may strengthen what you have and as you lose fat the muscles you have may become more visible

weight loss is about calorie deficit to which excercise can contribute

if you are not loosing then you are not at a deficit, you are either eating more than you think or not burning as much as you think or both, all calorie tracking is an estimate it won't be perfect but getting as accurate as possible will help.

you're ticker says you've lost 5lb, which is really good i'm guessing that's since the 20 march when you started logging, if so you've lost 5lb over 39 days
    1lb is lost for every 3500 deficit > so over 39 days you have managed a deficit of ~450 cal/day which is awesome

depending on how much weight you have to loose the 500 cal/day and 3500 cal/week for 1lb/week loss may be exactly the right target for you

good luck with your journey
  • Kezby_2k
    Kezby_2k Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you know you can make your diary visible to friends? Not the weight you are or anything, just what you eat. I found that really helped me, coz i have a few friends on here that are friends irl, and we talk about it quite often to point out where we're each going wrong - an objective view is really helpful to me. What kind of exercise are you doing? Does it make you sweat?