Progress vs. time

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
For those of you who have lost weight already or managed to shape up...how much progress did you get in a couple of months?

I'm looking to lose about 22 lbs total. I've gone almost a week on my diet and will go on the scale on Monday. I try not to rush it and am eating between 1300 and 1500 a day.
Thing is, I want to look good for the summer holidays. Maybe I'll go on holiday in July, maybe August.

Looking at both exercise and diet, what is the most you've lost in a month?

I'm not planning to starve myself, just wondering what kind of expectations I can have for two months from now. I'm 5"9, 150 lbs and 23 yrs old. From experience, the weight goes off pretty quick when I'm dedicated. I've cut all alcohol too.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Because we are all different, I can tell you month to month what I lost - but that is me and would mean nothing to your situation. Just work on being healthy. Lose at the pace your body can handle. It's really the only way to do this that's sustainable.

Do you best and before vacation - go buy some clothes that look good on you. Then go and have fun. :flowerforyou:
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well I'm new at this but I'm not too far from your height and weight, I'm eating around 1400 a day, and I'm finishing up my first month with 5 lbs lost.

I hadn't really noticed a difference in how I look yet, but I discovered yesterday that all my old pants that had gradually become too snug over the last year fit perfectly again! So that's exciting. I was hoping to have made noticeable progress by a vacation I'm going on in early June and if things continue at this rate I think that will definitely happen.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The weight loss for me has been hit or miss. I've been at it since September and have noticed quite a lot of changes with my body. More recently I've been seeing a huge progress with visible muscle and not so much success with the scale.

When I first started a good 5-10 pounds melted off which wAs likely just water weight and since I've started focussing more on how I feel and how I look in the mirror as opposed to the number on the scale.

Keep at it, the confidence I've gained has far outweighed a number on the scale for me.
  • hmg90
    Options
    Well I'm new at this but I'm not too far from your height and weight, I'm eating around 1400 a day, and I'm finishing up my first month with 5 lbs lost.

I hadn't really noticed a difference in how I look yet, but I discovered yesterday that all my old pants that had gradually become too snug over the last year fit perfectly again! So that's exciting. I was hoping to have made noticeable progress by a vacation I'm going on in early June and if things continue at this rate I think that will definitely happen.

Congrats!

1lbs per week is said to be healthy weight loss, but to be honest I am hoping for a bit more than that. At least with some water weight coming off first.

I get so easily demotivated when the scale doesn't move. I haven't weighed in a while and didn't manage to start my diet right away, so just been at it for a week. If I gained at first my weight won't be lower Monday, but I've been at around 1400 almost a week now, so fingers crossed for a SLIGHT change.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've lost between 8 and 12lb a month since January but have a lot more to lose than you do. I think that is you are really dedicated probably up to about 7lb a month is realistic.
  • hmg90
    Options
    Hi, I've lost between 8 and 12lb a month since January but have a lot more to lose than you do. I think that is you are really dedicated probably up to about 7lb a month is realistic.

That's awesome.
    What sort of calorie deficit do you have per day?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 Lbs in around 8-9 months or so.

FYI, the less you have to lose, the slower it will go...personally, I wouldn't really place much of my energy into this...I'd place my energy into just being a better me and rocking my nutrition and fitness...the rest just takes care of itself in its own time.
  • amylg05
    amylg05 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21lbs since the start of February this year by using Juice Plus for the first month and now healthy eating and exercise - was doing HIIT twice a week and gym once a week but over last few weeks I've been lifting (all compound exercises).
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There is a chart in my profile that shows my weight loss over time. Sorry, I don't know how to post it here.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've lost between 8 and 12lb a month since January but have a lot more to lose than you do. I think that if you are really dedicated probably up to about 7lb a month is realistic.

That's awesome.
    What sort of calorie deficit do you have per day?

My diary is open so you can have a look if you like :-)

I have my loss set to 2lb a week. I usually eat all or nearly all of my allowance and eat or dont eat my exercise calories according to how hungry I am.
  • jh270593
    jh270593 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started at about 188lbs and I am now 148lbs. I started mid jan this year so very happy with my progress. I would ideally like to get down to 140lbs. I'm 5ft8.5 and still have some flabby areas in particular my stomach ! I did stay very committed and avoided foods that would make me binge. It's only recently I have started to incorporate things such as chocolate and sweets back into my diet and I just have to fit them in with my daily allowance and if I buy a big bar of chocolate now I will give half of it away so the temptation isn't there! As that was my problem before.. Having no limits :-)
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me only 7 pounds and I have been on this healthy kick for a month, I still have 20 pounds to go. Being that I am in my older 30's my metabolism is much slower than my twenties. Losing weight in my 20's was much faster than how it is now for me. Key thing is stay focused and consistent and you will achieve your goal.
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I lost about 70 pounds I averaged it out at 1 pound a week. the first half of my journey was averaging about 1.5 pounds a week and as you get closer to your goal weight its slows. With little weight to loose I would average in a month about 4 to 6 pound. Like others have said… everyone is different. Except for the first week and an odd week here and there you should not be loosing more than 2 pounds a week. Fast weight loss in my experience causes short term weight loss. Best of Luck to you.
  • hmg90
    Options
    I just lost 6 lbs and that's just in the past two weeks! Woho!

I'm assuming some of that is water weight?