Help please non runner to 5K!

Options
Hi Guys

I have never been able to run but really would love to learn! Exercise has been non existent in my life over the last few months, hence the reason for joining here! I am intending on joining a new gym on Monday. However, I have seen more than a few recommendations for the couch to 5K system and would love your advice.

I seriously struggle to run more than 50m (sorry from the uk we use metric!) before my heart rate goes through the roof, my blood pressure drops into my boots and I have to stop or fall on my face, I do suffer from low blood pressure on a good day its 100/60.

So will this program really help a hopeless case like me????

I would love to be able to run the 5k Race for Life in July in my local town it is for Breast Cancer Research!

Mandy xx

Replies

• ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the same kind of answers. I have the Couch to 5K app but even then I find it pushes me too fast, too quickly. I can get through weeks 1-3 but I kill myself on week 4, can't get past it, and then don't want to keep going.

I'd love to run a 5k, that's my big fitness goal this year!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    heya..

I started the c25k program on Oct 13th and I'm running my first 5K this morning!
    I've also shed about 15 -20lbs since starting C25K. I was over 200 lbs when I started running. I could barely get thru 60 second running intervals. But I can run for 45mins solid now. C25K totally worked for me! I highly recommend it!
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I started it last January and ran (ran the entire thing) a 6K in April. I loved it. The way it is set up is great for a beginner. I had never ran or liked running but soon loved it. I have kept running since. In fact when I go out to walk, I have a deep urge to start running. Weird I know. This year I am going to do the same program but increase speed.
    Be sure to look for the podcast that have someone telling you when to walk and run. It makes it much easier. You can get them for free with a little searching. When I found those it was awesome and way easier to run the program.

Best of luck!
  • curleeqsue
    Options
    I also decided I wanted to do a 1/2 marithon in April, so I started a walk/run 12 week pre marithon plan in October just to get my body used to moving again.
    I am now on my marithon training and so far, I am doing well. I am very glad I did the 12 week pre plan before the marithon plan, otherwise I would have hurt myself and lost interest in the whole thing.
    It is important to do a walk/run program prior to the marithon training just so you can get your joints and tendons strong and used to the stress of running.
    I didn't know that until a friend told me. She has done three Iron man's so she has allot of training under her belt.
    I am on a "stop drinking soda" campaign. I have been "soda free" for three months and never felt better.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure too...even during my pregnancies 100/60 was a normal-high day for me. I am a runner so Low BP does not have to eliminate running as exercise for you. I have always run but since having all my kids I always had a tough time getting back into it. This last time, about 1 year ago now I started on the treadmill walking on big inclines...upping the speed, running for 2 minutes then walking an incline again. etc...I played with speeds and inclines to keep the treadmill interesting but didn't really run...one day I just set the treadmill to a decent jogging pace for me and ran 3 miles. From that time on I was off and running so to speak.
    Take it a little at a time...run a very easy pace...slower than you think you should be running...and run that 50 m...walk 100 m then run 50 m again. see if you can do that for 800 m total then walk another 800 m to finish your workout...do that for a week then see if you can either run 75 m then walk 100 m or do 50 m run 50 m walk....the key is to run slow enough . A lot of people who think they can't run...can but they sprint and run out of steam. When I coached track and cross country I had a lot of kids who would start off with the sprinting mentality...they thought running had to be "go as fast as you can" but it should always start out as a jog...just a bit faster than a walk...as your conditioning improves you will run faster and for longer distances.
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I`m currently on week 8 of c25k and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I`m 44 years old , and was an ex heavy smoker and very unfit, and I`m now running for 30 minutes with no problems at all so I know it works :bigsmile:

Try and find a group of people that are starting around the same time for a bit of support. There`s new threads starting all the time.

Or come join ours , I think we have a few that have just started. You can see our progress at

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/136632-couch-to-5k-c25k-starting-today-anyone-interested

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ctrlaltdelboy
    Options
    I'd start off by mapping a nice 5km circular route from your home (use google maps, mapmyrun, endomondo or various other online resources) and then just walk it - 5km is only 3.1 miles and most people even if very unfit can do this in under an hour.

then just keep on upping your pace each time you do it according to your own comfort and ability.

before long you'll feel comfortable breaking into a little jog or run for a minute or two through various sections of the route.

as your fitness increases you can increase these running sections in length until you are running for most of not all of the route.

then congrats - you are running 5k :)

if you wish to continue challenging yourself you can start increasing the pace, again start with doing a fast spurt here and there and then slowing to your regular pace inbetween, and as your fitness increases further your fast sections can get longer and joined up.

I'd recommend also looking at http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ to see if there's an event near you - parkrun do a regular officially measured and timed 5k every Saturday morning at 9am all over the country and you can rely on their measurements of distance & times rather than sorting it out yourself and every run you do is recorded in the database for you to revisit via the wesite to review your performance, PBs, trends etc. oh, and it's free :)

my own records are here http://www.parkrun.org.uk/eastleigh/Results/AthleteHistory.aspx?AthleteNumber=71655 - I usually come in last out of 100 or so runners, but that's fine and better than not taking part!

good luck!