I thought I knew what I was doing

Options
So, I lost 66 pounds and easily maintained that for a year. I ran 3 half marathons last year and I ran daily, so I was pretty active. I ate healthy, but mostly ate the exact same foods day in and day out. (I know....).

In August, I got a new job and moved 300 miles away. Suddenly, I didn't have time to run as often and I had an unlimited meal plan at the university where I work. I still made "healthy" food choices, but I realized far too late that nearly everything in the cafeteria was coated in butter and oil. I also got lax about "sometimes" foods, and suddenly, Oreos and sugary cereals became "I'm bored and want to snack" foods.

I've gained back 10 pounds and I absolutely know what changes I need to make. I'm just having trouble doing it. I'm running another half marathon in June, so I've definitely upped my activity level, but now that I am living alone, it's too easy to wander into the kitchen and do regrettable things.

I a super frustrated. Can anyone relate?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I can relate a little. I am up 13 pounds. I am lifting so I am supposed to celebrated my gain. Not easy.
  • blueberry67
    Options
    I'm with you - I got away from my good habits and now i'm back on here to lose the 10 lbs I put back on !!! let's do it !
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you are living alone, then surely you can control what you do and do not have in your kitchen so there will be less temptations?
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We all find ourselves "setback" from our goals on occasion, tlathen. What I see from your post is that you're back on track mentally and that's 90% of the battle. You lost 66 pounds and only gained 10 pounds back? You're totally in the game still!!! You've recognized your challenges and began to readjust after a pretty big, geographical move.

You have a physical goal set - your HM in June. Which means you signed up, paid the fee and began the mental and physical process of reaching your goal. You're taking action!

Spring is coming and the weather's getting better and you're getting fired up to cross that finish line at a better weight goal than you are today. You know the feeling of accomplishing a huge goal and overcoming defeat . . . don't leave anything for the past to devour . . . devour your goal as you burn up the past victoriously.

Keep enjoying the moments ~
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I can relate. When I started grad school I kept eating the same (and a lot of snacks) but stopped being as active. I got a car and stopped biking everywhere. I went up about 20-25lbs and now I'm having to remember to not eat when I'm bored and I stopped buying cookies.

If you need some support, feel free to add me.
  • tlathen
    tlathen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I know 10 pounds isn't anything to freak out about. I just don't want those 10 pounds to multiply ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, and y'all are right. At this point, it's mostly mental. (And not buying the junk. I have no self control past 10pm, haha)
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Be proud that you're getting onto it now and not in anither 20 pounds :) You know what you need to do.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I know 10 pounds isn't anything to freak out about. I just don't want those 10 pounds to multiply ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, and y'all are right. At this point, it's mostly mental. (And not buying the junk. I have no self control past 10pm, haha)

I think it's great that you're getting ahold of the problem early instead of letting it continue.

I've been up ten pounds after falling off the wagon before as well. Just dust yourself off and try to pre-prep your meals. If you're living alone, it's super easy to make big batches of food and either freeze or keep for the week.

Good luck!
  • Candela16
    Candela16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can relate! Definitely hard to keep it up. I have an it's ok to cheat day that sometimes helps me not cheat daily.
  • positivity1967
    Options
    i can relate as well. ive been maintaining for six months and during easter i went mad eating chocolate and i can feel a few pounds have crept on so its back to watching what i put in my mouth again and to be honest its a relief having to do it..its like a lifeline to me, i dont know if anybody else thinks that?!

:)
  • dperret1975
    dperret1975 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We all find ourselves "setback" from our goals on occasion, tlathen. What I see from your post is that you're back on track mentally and that's 90% of the battle. You lost 66 pounds and only gained 10 pounds back? You're totally in the game still!!! You've recognized your challenges and began to readjust after a pretty big, geographical move.

You have a physical goal set - your HM in June. Which means you signed up, paid the fee and began the mental and physical process of reaching your goal. You're taking action!

Spring is coming and the weather's getting better and you're getting fired up to cross that finish line at a better weight goal than you are today. You know the feeling of accomplishing a huge goal and overcoming defeat . . . don't leave anything for the past to devour . . . devour your goal as you burn up the past victoriously.

Keep enjoying the moments ~

This!!!

And try to get a limited amount (or no) "bad snack" food in the house. Since you live alone that should be farely easy. I have 3 kids so I cannot really avoid it but what I do is I try to buy the things I personally do not really like so I don't not get tempted too much every time one of my kids has a snack.....

Good luck. You will get there!!!!!!!! And have fun on your HM:smile:
  • chezza189
    chezza189 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this, I went home for easter and I went mad the scales are up. It is a bit disenheartening but what others said is right its not as bad as it could be.
    Sometimes we need these set backs to keep us focused on our weight loss goals. At the end of the day loosing weight and keeping it off isn't just a quick fix. It is something which is a life long journey that we have to work at day in, day out regardless of what life throws at us.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So, I lost 66 pounds and easily maintained that for a year. I ran 3 half marathons last year and I ran daily, so I was pretty active. I ate healthy, but mostly ate the exact same foods day in and day out. (I know....).

In August, I got a new job and moved 300 miles away. Suddenly, I didn't have time to run as often and I had an unlimited meal plan at the university where I work. I still made "healthy" food choices, but I realized far too late that nearly everything in the cafeteria was coated in butter and oil. I also got lax about "sometimes" foods, and suddenly, Oreos and sugary cereals became "I'm bored and want to snack" foods.

I've gained back 10 pounds and I absolutely know what changes I need to make. I'm just having trouble doing it. I'm running another half marathon in June, so I've definitely upped my activity level, but now that I am living alone, it's too easy to wander into the kitchen and do regrettable things.

I a super frustrated. Can anyone relate?

Watch the quality of the food you are eating and you will lose all the weight you want. Most quality do not come in a package so try to stay away from anything in a package.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Way too easily. I was down to 147 (it took me a year from 165-170!) and running every other day, doing weights in between that, didnt want rest day but took them because I felt I needed to... then about July-August hit which is, for some reason, the time of year I tend to get super depressed. I haven't run more than 2x a week since.. I'm back at 158 (down from 163 ish) but having so much trouble getting back on it. *sigh* I have been trying to get on a regular schedule but as it stands some days I get 3 hours of sleep and that's been my biggest obstacle - feeling crappy for bad food choices when I'm hungry and unable to convince myself to workout when I ate bad but know I'm only going to get 6-8 hours of sleep IF I go right home, 3-6 if I workout...
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate as well... I reached my initial goal in October and thought it was going to be a piece of cake (pardon the pun!) to stay there.... all the lessons I had learned about eating well and the importance of moving my parts every day... got a little too cocky and complacent figuring no problem! but this winter was especially cold and long and although I normally don't mind winter, this one was bitter cold and I found myself skipping walks after taking a header on the ice, reaching for comfort foods, and letting some old bad habits creep in.... and creep they did... and "suddenly" I had gained 10 lbs over a few months..? I saw a couple of pounds show up first but I was in denial - you know, weight fluctuates daily no worries.. ya... uh huh.... then the scale KEPT creeping up..but I was still confident it was just "a few pounds" and I would drop them no problem.. then a few more and I was into the "what the heck?" mode - so the old habit of turning to food for comfort came back and consoling myself for feeling guilty about gaining weight back with even more crappy choices.... when the scale finally showed a full 10 pounds I finally got angry - I worked too damn hard at getting to goal and getting fitter to let this happen!! I think a part of me was also feeling like I failed as such... that obviously the lessons I thought I had so ingrained were not.... and had to admit I had gotten just a little bit arrogant.... and complacent..... so for me, I went back to the basics; I ran reports on my diary exercise logs and read back some of my early posts to remind myself WHY I wanted to lose the fat and get fit... and how great I felt when i was at goal and moving every day... and that really helped get my head (and the other parts!) back in the game..!! I'm still annoyed I let myself gain the 10 lbs back but lesson learned and I'm putting in the work now to get back to my goal and I know I will do it! I agree with the poster who said a big part of it is the mind game; sometimes I just gotta tell that little voice in my head to sit down and shut up LOL!
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    We did a move and instantly went from healthy choices to "lets eat free for now as we are moving and burning tons of cals" We did not log for the move and ended up gaining like 10lbs each. We eat tons of food, clearing out the pantry and fridge of everything we did not want to take with us (ie unhealthy or spoilable) and once we were done with the move we hopped right back on and I have lost back most that weight.

Just, don't let it get you down, don't BUY anything in your house that you will eat that you will regret, and log everything. No better way to shame yourself into not eating than logging it all.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Omg! xsmilexforxme. What kind of life are you living? Why are you working so hard? It would be impossible for anyone to eat properly under those circumstances. Is there anything that you can do to improve the situation? Can you at least catch up on sleep on the weekends? Don't beat yourself up. You are surviving an extreme situation.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I can relate in gaining weight back that I've lost before! But I can't relate in such a great loss yet! Great job! First off, you do know what you're doing! You caught yourself before you gained 20-30 pounds! You've done it before and you can do it again :-)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I just know I have to stay on top of this at all times, not letting my guard down. Like you I gained about 15 pounds couple of years ago, got complacent and did not weigh as often. I know right now I could easily put on 5 lbs in a weekend and then another 5 and another 5 and keep on. I now weigh every day. I realize I have to eat like I am on a diet all the time or lifestyle. I know it sucks but what choice do we have. I am greedy with my food and have to remind myself of that daily.
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can also relate to your story. I lecture at University and I also do a lot of research. When I moved to new job last year exactly the same thing happen to me. I was given 7 courses to lecture, which is ridiculous, and I managed to publish 6 good papers. I worked 16 hours a day and gained so much weight. I exercised regularly before new job and then went from 10 hours of exercise a week to zero.
    I was lucky to work a lot with lecturers from sport and exercise science group and I became a very good friend with a girl who was a national champion in body building. She got me back into the gym and on crazy low calories diet (I am not sure if she ever eats). I started making a meal at home and logging into myfitnesspal what I am going to eat next day and stick to it. Before I restated exercise with my friend I did lemon detox (I know it is crazy but it worked for me) and now I am maintaining with 2 hours a day exercise (1hour cardio am and 1 hour weights pm). I eat around 1000 calories (I am always hungry) and I am JUST maintaining my weight. I was a vegetarian before but now I went 90% raw (fruit and veg mostly). I grow my fruit and veg organic and I have my own free range chooks for eggs. It is tough to stay fit and even tougher to keep the weight down. It does not come naturally to me but through a lot of sweat and hunger:(