I'm dieting and I quit smoking...HELP!

Options
I've lost almost 30 pounds since I've been logging my food on MyFitnessPal. Part of my get fit plan has recently included quitting smoking. I haven't gained any weight, but the weight loss has slowed. I'm also a lot more hungry and have found it difficult to fight off food cravings.

Any suggestions to kick the weight loss in gear and ward off food cravings?

Feel free to add me to your friends list, too.

5' 2"
SW: 170 lbs
CW: 140.4 lbs
GW: 130 lbs

Replies

• BrittDoesIt
    BrittDoesIt Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey! I quit smoking just over 2 months ago so I can help support you in that! However I gained a lot of weight over the last 2 months because I just could not stop eating, thats why I am back here haha, time to stop using quitting smoking as an excuse to eat everything in sight! Congrats on the quitting and in no time you will feel so much better for it
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health. You only have 10.6# to go. Allow the loss to be slow. It's also slowing because you are closer to your goal. Don't go back to smoking, but don't overeat to compensate.

I quit after 19 years and didn't try to lose weight, but didn't gain any either. After @3 months the weather cleared up and I started walking the dog around the neighborhood. I had mastered the hardest part of the quitting (the first few months) and then I focused on my weight loss with proper exercise and nutrition. Chewing on straws helped too. You got this!
  • DeathListFive
    DeathListFive Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Most people confuse hunger and nicotine cravings. I stopped smoking and started vaping. Best decision I've ever made.
  • elcoburno
    Options
    Hey, I quit smoking last week and am back here! put on half a stone! For me I thuoght ok which is better let myself go mad eating for one week or smoke? I'm one week smoke free and heading back to the gym later will lose the half stone in two weeks im sure! Don't restrict yourself too much... my advice would be exercise, go for a walk... you'll notice how much more youre able to do since quitting!
  • Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I joined MFP because of all the weight I gained when I quit smokking. I wouldnt worry about the rate .. its progress not perfection and quitting is definitely a big step down the road to healthy living. Good luck!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I found it most helpful to substitute my addiction or something better. If you don't do anything you will find yourself needing to do what you are used to doing.

I would go outside for my "cigarette break" but have a cup of tea or coffee… keep taking the breaks with a beverage. LOTS of altoids are good too, that deep mint breathy feeling helps you when you feel that physical need to inhale.

Another thing, I wish I was crocheting actively when I quit, It helps with fidgety hands. If you want me to send you some links to free youtube tutorials feel free to message me. There are some that are more helpful than others.

Good luck!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly but I found having a cup of tea (lots of different kinds, fruit, herbal, normal!) when I had a craving helped a bit, it's still doing something with your hands and mouth, but not food/calories.

p.s. well done on the weight loss and quitting smoking too :)
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking 4 months ago , I was vaping for a month and that was it
    once in a while I do miss it but I just take my mind off it and move fwd
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!!Congratulations on quitting smoking!!! :flowerforyou:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I quit at the end of last summer, as it was interfering with my fitness goals. I used an ecig to wean off. I'm not saying that you should, or that it was the best choice. I'm just saying that's how I quit. It was hard, but eventually the craving stopped. But I know you can do this! You'll be so happy you made the the choice to stop :-) congrats!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You are improving your life! And I'm happy for your choice to quit smoking.

I also quit smoking since improving the quality of foods I take in. I have gained a bit of weight back, but I am determined to keep moving toward my goal. If you need a friend to encourage you, I'm here!
  • mrsolsonwaters3
    mrsolsonwaters3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did this exact same thing, it was hard for me to not eat a ton when craving a smoke, I think you may exchange one thing for another when you quit something. You have done a fabulous job! Quitting smoking is such a wonderful thing to do for yourself, and adding in eating right and exercising makes you feel a ton better in my experience. You might not be where you want to be right at this moment, but look how far you have come! You will get there. I keep reminding myself that I lost weight fast in the beginning because of how "bad" my eating and not exercising was, now that I have reformed my ways, I am losing at a much slowwe pace because I am doing the "good" things, so I shouldn't lose rapidly.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I quit in 2011 and decided that I wasn’t going to gain any weight and in fact, I was determined to lose. Every time I wanted a cigarette, if I was able, I walked. If I was at home and felt myself getting bored, I would go walking (or bicycling) down the road. A stationary bike helped on rainy days. Boredom was (is) my trigger for both cigarettes and eating, so I try to stay occupied. Popcorn and sunflower seeds helped quite a bit, too.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cravings tend to well up, and then they do subside a bit after 5,10, 15 minutes.
    I would go for a short walk when I felt an urge to eat or smoke that I did not want to give in to. It's a good distraction while the craving goes away. Plus, the fresh air and the movement kinda cleans things out physically.
    Good luck
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Most people confuse hunger and nicotine cravings. I stopped smoking and started vaping. Best decision I've ever made.

Same here.
    Had tried several times before but with vaping support have been successful since September 2013.

Was very aware that there could be some weight gain so I used the financial gain and joined the gym.
    This helped a lot along with MFP controlling calories in and burn le

Now planning reducing the ecig levels and usage through Maintenance.
  • myhusbandletsme
    myhusbandletsme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    congrats on quitting - been there, done that - after almost 30 years and a good pack a day, you can do it !!! A great website with a ton of information - whyquit.com. Keep up the good work!!!
  • brandi_kae
    brandi_kae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and tips. I know it's the right thing to do!