Wiifit?

Options
So in an attempt to show his support for my weight loss efforts my husband bought a wii with wiifit for me. I did about an hours worth of workouts today, and while doing them I was pooped but now I feel like I just lounged around all day. I mostly did aerobic workouts versus the push-ups and squats I'd been doing the last couple of weeks which could be why I don't feel like I really did any exercise, but does the wiifit actually do any good other than having a scale and distracting my toddler while I "workout"?

Replies

• stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I really like the hula exercise. It's a pretty good core workout!
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I found that most of the exercises are too easy for me. Though I do love the electric scale. I've had mine for 5 years. In that time I've given birth three times. I love to track my slow weight loss over that time. Otherwise there are better workouts for the Wii.
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome tool for anyone just starting out. People going from sedentary or just the generally unfit can really ease themselves into it with the Wii.
    The calorie burn isn't amazing, but it certainly beats sitting on your butt! I loved it when I first started losing weight.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    Okay, well thanks a lot! I guess I'm not quite feeling it anymore because I'm already medium a give during workdays, I think I'll keep using it on my days off to keep me from vouching around.
    Also yeah, I love the hula one too, but my two year old doesn't so he wants to be held while I do it.
  • RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
    Options
    I mainly weigh in and sometimes do the free step on Wii fit, but I have a few other Wii games I prefer for a workout, like the Zumba one and EA sport active 2 :smile:
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I use mine as an extra workout at times too-- I do the stepper while I watch tv. It makes me feel less sedentary when I am watching my favorite shows -- and i still do a workout on top of that
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    Same here !
    I use mine as an extra workout at times too-- I do the stepper while I watch tv. It makes me feel less sedentary when I am watching my favorite shows -- and i still do a workout on top of that
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I am getting a wii fit plus for mother's day I can't wait
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The wiifit stuff really helped us out in the beginning. I think the most intense workouts are the rhythm boxing (at higher levels), a lot of the strength training (if you do it right and at high enough reps), and the hula workout. I wouldn't really do the running in place. Yoga was great, too, because it holds you to really high standards for balance, which, I thought, gave me a better core workout.

But you'll probably outgrow it within a year, if not less. The scale always struck me as extremely accurate.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do the stepping for 30 minutes while I watch TV - I set it on the fastest pace and go even faster than that, and it's a decent workout IMO! It really makes my legs ache and it's a good way to get 2500 steps done. I also like the hula hoop - no one can beat my score on that thing lol. The one where you're a chicken and have to flap your way across the island is hilarious and gives a good arm workout (based on how sore my arms are the next day). But mostly me and hubby mostly use mine for the weigh-ins.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a wii fit and a Kinect on the xbox and don't consider that it is an actual workout but I figure that when from time to time I do play games on either that involve being on my feet and jumping around or moving it has got to be better than just sitting on the sofa.