How often do YOU lift?

Options
I'm new to lifting and looking to gain some muscle now that i'm at my goal weight. Right now i'm doing 5 days with Wednesday and Saturday off. I have read a lot about 4 day splits being better in terms of muscle growth and recovery. Help?

**I am only about 110 lbs. I may not be able to lift extremely heavy but it's always half my weight or at my weight.

Replies

• Culprit9
    Culprit9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I only lift 3 days per week. Sometimes Mon Wed Fri and sometimes Thu Sat Mon. Not including warm up and stretching after my lifting only takes about 45-60 minutes.

I am still new at this myself, but I think that muscle & strength gains are dependent as much on what you don't do. A body needs off days to recover and rebuild the muscle fibers that are damaged during heavy lifting. Heavy being relative to your current level of strength where you are struggling to get that last rep in, with a rep range somewhere in the 5-8 range.

Just my opinion though.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting, then get on a proven beginner lifting program. There are many referenced in these forums like StrongLifts, Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, All Pros, etc... Typically, a beginner program is 3 days a week that works the major compound movements (things like squatting, deadlifts, bench press, etc...). Find one that matches best with your goals and are comfortable with doing and follow the program. Leave the 4 day split for much much later when you need to move into an intermediate program.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Pole is a combination of lift/strength and cardio...I do that about 4-5 days a week. Rest days (due to bruising and for muscle recovery) are my cardio days... running, pilates or walking on the other days.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I lift twice a week, sometimes I add a third workout, but usually it's just monday and friday :)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    3 times a week
    I end up training each muscle group about once a week
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Daily. I work one muscle group per day and alternate abs and legs.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week.
    35-65 minutes per session.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    3 days on, 1 day off. Each session about an hr. Plus 4 nights a week cardio. Again for about an hr

The human body is amazing. You can do much more than you ever thought you could. Just be smart about it and work up to it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends on the program I'm following and what other training I'm doing. Could be anywhere from 2-4x week.
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    i'm with tiberius , you body is amazing
    i lift almost daily
    don't get stuck on wat others say, try out stuff
    change up your workouts, keep it fun !
    being a beginner you can do watherver you do as long as you put in the hours . . .
  • PaperStreetHouse
    PaperStreetHouse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days per week.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Monday • Wednesday • Friday (5x5 Stronglifts + Accessory work)

On off days I either do cardio, mobility or new workouts that I find to be fun (heavy bag training, abs, calves, etc)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It depends on the program I'm following and what other training I'm doing. Could be anywhere from 2-4x week.

this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I follow SL so 3x a week, each day has compound movements so I need a days rest between.

I usually do HIIT or some sort of cardio (walking/biking) on my off days.
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options
    Monday Tuesday lift
    Thursday Friday lift

Run 5/6 days per week (4 if serious race on)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week.
    If I had any other nights off I would maybe do a light 20-30 minute jog or a yoga class.

Muscles have to rest if you want them to grow.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm training.

If lifting is primary, then I lift 4x/week for about 45-60 minutes per session and then I run usually 2x/week.

If running is primary, then I run 3-4x/week and lift 2x/week.
  • ranks39
    ranks39 Posts: 14
    Options
    I lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday from roughly 6:10-7:00/7:10 a.m. On Tuesday/Thursday I run and on Saturday/Sunday, I rest.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I tend to do 3 days a week. I get upset if I don't manage to do that many. :)