5 months of working out, 0 weight lost

Options

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    you wont gain muscle unless you are eating in a surplus.

Inches down are good...but if you are losing inches and no weight after 5 months sounds like recomp to me...

which means you are not eating in a deficet...you are at maintenance.

But with your diary closed it's hard to say why.

+1
  • Jordanrae1992
    Options
    I eat 1700, and then normally burn 400 calories by working out everyday.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can find out how many calories to eat by using a TDEE calculator.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    So if I may be eating too much, does anybody have any suggestions on how many calories I should be eating if I want to lose fat?

I would suspect that your calorie goals may be reasonable (can't really judges without height /weight / activity information), but that you are eating more than you think you are.
    Obvious ones that people miss: fruits, cooking fats, vegetables, quick snacks. But the biggest source of inaccuracies are estimating portions or measuring (cups) rather than weighing (oz/g) solids and viscous fluids (nut butters, oils).
  • Jordanrae1992
    Options
    Thanks for your help! And I do use a heart rate monitor, I LOVE it!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I overlooked something, but are you using a food scale to weigh these foods your eating???? A scale will help you Know if your really at a deficit or not
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Do you weight your solids on a food scale? if hte answer is no then you are probably eating more than you think.

And how do you get your burns? you could be over estimating those too.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your pictures, the scale may not have moved but you certainly look better. Keep doing what you are doing and watch your diet even more closely. May have to start measuring and weight your food. At 5'6', you are within your normal weight range even with the 5 pound gain.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    and do you eat those calories too?
  • KatyMiriam
    KatyMiriam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Personally my base line is 1200 calories plus calories earnt from exercise (I'm female 5'5).
    Are you measuring everything? And do you log all of your drinks as well? Don't mean to sound patronising but its suprising how many folks don't realise how many calories most drinks contain plus its easier to underestimate quanity if its not measured out.
    Are you feeling fitter and healthier in yourself though?
  • Jordanrae1992
    Options
    No I don't.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    "I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I feel like I should have at least burned off some of the fat before I started gaining this extra muscle weight."

A pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat. The difference is volume.
  • Jordanrae1992
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. I'll start doing that. Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it!
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    So if I may be eating too much, does anybody have any suggestions on how many calories I should be eating if I want to lose fat?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. I'll start doing that. Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it!

Great - do that really carefully for a couple of weeks - then see how you're doing.

Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 6x a week for 5 months strait. I do 3x a week weight lifting with 15 minutes of cardio, and 3x a week pure cardio. I range from burning 300-500 calories a day and eat 1700 calories a day. I'm 22, 5' 6" and started out weighing 142, and I now weigh 148. I've dropped a couple inches, but hardly any from my waist (around where my pants come up to). I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I feel like I should have at least burned off some of the fat before I started gaining this extra muscle weight. I thought I would just be further along than this with as much effort as I've put in. Any suggestions on why I can't lose weight or inches around my waist??
    When you say lifting weights, what's the regimen? How many sets/reps? What's the intensity level?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options
    This will help you immensely on the threads and in real life concerning nutrition and fitness...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

workaholics-no.gif

This made me giggle
  • Sun_Wukong
    Options
    No I don't.
    OP when responding to a reply it is best to use the quote button, you will see below the dialogue box (sometimes under the ticker if the person you want to quote has one visible) it helps with context.