Too large of a calorie deficit?

Alright, so I've managed to lose nearly 30 pounds since the new year, which I now realize happened WAAAY too fast and wasn't as healthy as it could've been if i had taken it slower, but, that aside, I'm still not quite at my goal weight of 125.

I have been eating the standard MFP recommended 1200 and burning around 2100-2200 calories per day (based on my fitbit readings) and I feel like that is too large a deficit for me, as I weigh 131 and only have a little further to go.

My body is definitely not where I would ultimately want it-I want to start really getting into strength training here soon after finals are over and I have time to go to the gym again, but I've been thinking that for this last few pounds where im eating at a deficit, I'll do about -20% TDEE? So around 400-500 calorie deficit? Is that still too much of a deficit? I'm just somewhat clueless at what would work best, would it be better to maintain a large deficit and get the last pounds off soon, or a smoother much slower transition to maintenance? Any advice would be great.

(Ps, I'm 5'7, if that helps)

Replies

• Novyr
    Novyr Posts: 1
    400-500 is a good deficit. Try to not lose more than 1 pound a week, that's a rough rule of thumb. I'm glad that you recognize that going to fast is very ineffective. Slow way is the good way.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    500 calorie deficit will give you a pound loss per week, if you eat back any training calories. Up your protein and lower your carbs, so when you start with the weights you have more chance to build some lean tissue.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Not sure why your goal is that low but eh.

As for your TDEE and Deficet and strength training...

If you want to start lifting then forget about scale weight, eat at TDEE-10% (esp with so little to lose) and up your protien.

As for 1200 being standard of MFP no it's not...it's all based on the data you enter...

ETA: I am 5 ft 7 too...and my goal weight is 155...and I have been lifting for almost 7 months...I wear a size 5/6.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    2100 cal burned every day - wow.
    this would be 4 h hiking every day for me or three hours dancing...
    Lucky you, having so much time for workout.

1200 seems very low indeed.
  • SezxyStef

I suspect the 2100 includes all burns...BMR + exercise...not just exercise.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    I, for the life of me, don't get this "lose slow and it will last." If I were this girl..I'd just knock off that last five like you did the first 30 and start your lifting routine in maintenance.

I do realize that crash diets are bad and fad diets..blah blah.

But if someone can lose fast as long as they're eating and not starving themselves? Why not! I find that losing so slow wears down my willpower. I lost 15 pounds eating back exercise calories and losing at a snails pace. Then one day, I just couldn't count calories any longer and I just quit because my willpower was burned out. I slowly regained…now I'm back..and I'm determined to eat healthy but lose faster…i'm not eating back exercise calories unless it just happens or I'm super hungry. I want to get this weight off and be done with it.

losing slower is just slow. the odds of regaining is great for all of us the facts speak to that. and our chances are the same …whether we lose slow or fast.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member

I suspect the 2100 includes all burns...BMR + exercise...not just exercise.

She is using a fitbit so yes, you are correct.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I agree with the poster who said to forget about the scale and start a lifting program. With your deficit, you've probably lost a fair amount of muscle along with some fat. Here are pics of the same woman. On the left, at her goal weight. On the right, after a lifting program. She's smaller but heavier on the right. So would you rather be soft and squishy at your goal weight, or a little heavier and have a smokin' hot bod?

bodycomp_zps680e3d53.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    I, for the life of me, don't get this "lose slow and it will last." If I were this girl..I'd just knock off that last five like you did the first 30 and start your lifting routine in maintenance.

I do realize that crash diets are bad and fad diets..blah blah.

But if someone can lose fast as long as they're eating and not starving themselves? Why not! I find that losing so slow wears down my willpower. I lost 15 pounds eating back exercise calories and losing at a snails pace. Then one day, I just couldn't count calories any longer and I just quit because my willpower was burned out. I slowly regained…now I'm back..and I'm determined to eat healthy but lose faster…i'm not eating back exercise calories unless it just happens or I'm super hungry. I want to get this weight off and be done with it.

losing slower is just slow. the odds of regaining is great for all of us the facts speak to that. and our chances are the same …whether we lose slow or fast.

And if you lose weight fast it's not just fat you are losing...it is muscle and fat and if you don't care that when you are done you will be soft and skinny that's fine...

The other issue with losing too fast is that you have to deprive yourself of a lot of food usually favorites such as chocolate etc and when you are done you go back to eating what you did before in the same quantities and you gain it all back again.

1200 calories is the minimum recommended for an adult female because at those levels if you are very careful...very very careful you might manage to get in on your macro and micro nutrients...but most are not that careful and end up short somewhere...

will power is fleeting and chances are you will lose it on the deprivation of favorite foods as well...

Eating back exercise calories allows you to fuel your next workout and the workout will falter as you go and you will find your hair and nails get brittle and break easily, you are tired, lethargic etc.

The odds of me regaining the weight is a lot less than those on 1200 calories...because I have eaten everything I wanted the entire time I have lost weight. I have learned moderation, serving sizes and what fuels my workouts...
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Because the faster you lose, the more of your loss comes from muscle. That means that even at the smaller size, you will appear less toned because you haven't rid yourself of the fat you are trying to lose, and now there's less muscle underneath the fat that is left.
    Also, the reduction in muscle mass results in a decrease of metabolism, which means that you use fewer calories in a day, so now you can't eat as much.
  • Not sure why your goal is that low but eh.

If you want to start lifting then forget about scale weight, eat at TDEE-10% (esp with so little to lose) and up your protien.

As for 1200 being standard of MFP no it's not...it's all based on the data you enter...

ETA: I am 5 ft 7 too...and my goal weight is 155...and I have been lifting for almost 7 months...I wear a size 5/6.

Honestly my goal is just a number I chose in the beginning to have something to measure for-it really means nothing. I've been thinking that I'll probably just resort to taking progress photos and measurements instead of weighing once i start lifting. Thank you!!!
  • I agree with the poster who said to forget about the scale and start a lifting program. With your deficit, you've probably lost a fair amount of muscle along with some fat. Here are pics of the same woman. On the left, at her goal weight. On the right, after a lifting program. She's smaller but heavier on the right. So would you rather be soft and squishy at your goal weight, or a little heavier and have a smokin' hot bod?

bodycomp_zps680e3d53.jpg
    wow, that's pretty impressive. puts things into perspective, thank you!
  • SezxyStef
    Not sure why your goal is that low but eh.

Honestly my goal is just a number I chose in the beginning to have something to measure for-it really means nothing. I've been thinking that I'll probably just resort to taking progress photos and measurements instead of weighing once i start lifting. Thank you!!!

A good measurment as well is BF% if you can get it done...dexa scan is most accurate...or have a qualified person acutally just look at you flexed and unflexed...

Most of us who lift have BF% goals, plate goals (meaning number lifted) and measurments...