Looking for Awesome Bipolar MFP Friends!

Options
Hi guys!. Newbie here and I have Bipolar II Disorder. I was diagnosed on 2011 but formally receiving treatment on July 2012 after almost a month of hospitalization. From that time on I gained 50 lbs (from 120 to 170 lbs, and I stand 5'4).

Although I'm contented with my current mental state the side effects of my meds (Lithium and Seroquel) is making me hungry and sleepy a lot. My doc dont want to change my meds coz of my marked improvement and just decreased the dosage of my Seroquel but still. My case manager enrolled me in a free gym program but the schedule does not fit my availability so I have to do it on my own. It finally hit me this year coz my doctor don't want me to gain more weight and I cant imagine myself obese. I'm so focused on healing my mind first that I tend to forget that mind/body must always be in harmony.

Although I managed to keep the first 10 lbs off since January 2014 IVE BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME STAYING ON THIS COURSE. I lost another 10 but gained it all after being on holiday. So I really hope that MFP is able to give the right social media support given my circumstances,

PS. I only accepting and inviting friends with the same page as I am (at the moment)/relatives or friends with Bipolar or anyone with other mental illness struggling with weight loss. But I give way to those with exceptional supportive nature and enthusiastic about their health ;-)

Replies

• kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    First off, BP II did not cause you to gain weight........eating too much and not exercising caused you to gain weight. I deal with 1000s of individuals who are mentally ill and they have many ways to cope some would say what you did was coping. Comfort eating is the worse thing you can do and each individual that uses this type of coping tends to say they have no control. Wrong.. I see it as an excuse to eat too much, and I know I was heavier than most people on this site at one time in my life.

I believe in responsibility and accountability in treatment as well as everyday life. Also, if your meds are causing adverse side effects you need to have them reevaluated by a psychiatrist. Again, I understand where you at but don't place your weight gain on a diagnosis.

Signed, Therapist, Psychologist, QMHP, and counselor.

Wow I'm glad you're not my psychologist. Every heard of empathy or even listening to what people actually say?

This is just such an unsupportive response I can't just ignore it.

(a) totally unhelpful response

(b) if you actually read the post the OP never said the bipolar caused her weight gain

(c) nor did she mention comfort eating

(d) she never said she had no control, in fact is demonstrating the opposite

(e) meds often lead to weight gain; it is generally a trade-off between this and severe mental health problems - as she stated her psychiatrist knows about the weight gain already and wants to keep the meds the same, so no it doesn't mean she needs to change them if her mental health is good

(f) why are you recommending she change her meds when you just said it has nothing to do with weight gain and she can take control over it...

I don't need to go on. You call yourself a psychologist yet you have no empathy, understanding or listening skills as far as I can see.

I wonder why you felt the need to list four things at the end of your post that essentially mean the same thing. I'm really wondering if you have any experience or qualifications at all or are just a random troll.

Finally, I would like to see you take lithium and quetiapine, deal with mental health issues and not gain any weight.

OP, hi there, sorry I couldn't just let that slide. Good for you for taking control, I'm so glad things are going well for you mentally, and well done on the weight loss so far! Have added you :)
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Exactly!

OP, you have my support!
    First off, BP II did not cause you to gain weight........eating too much and not exercising caused you to gain weight. I deal with 1000s of individuals who are mentally ill and they have many ways to cope some would say what you did was coping. Comfort eating is the worse thing you can do and each individual that uses this type of coping tends to say they have no control. Wrong.. I see it as an excuse to eat too much, and I know I was heavier than most people on this site at one time in my life.

I believe in responsibility and accountability in treatment as well as everyday life. Also, if your meds are causing adverse side effects you need to have them reevaluated by a psychiatrist. Again, I understand where you at but don't place your weight gain on a diagnosis.

Wow I'm glad you're not my psychologist. Every heard of empathy or even listening to what people actually say?

(b) if you actually read the post the OP never said the bipolar caused her weight gain

(e) meds often lead to weight gain; it is generally a trade-off between this and severe mental health problems - as she stated her psychiatrist knows about the weight gain already and wants to keep the meds the same, so no it doesn't mean she needs to change them if her mental health is good

(f) why are you recommending she change her meds when you just said it has nothing to do with weight gain and she can take control over it...

I don't need to go on. You call yourself a psychologist yet you have no empathy, understanding or listening skills as far as I can see.

I wonder why you felt the need to list four things at the end of your post that essentially mean the same thing. I'm really wondering if you have any experience or qualifications at all or are just a random troll.

Finally, I would like to see you take lithium and quetiapine, deal with mental health issues and not gain any weight.

OP, hi there, sorry I couldn't just let that slide. Good for you for taking control, I'm so glad things are going well for you mentally, and well done on the weight loss so far! Have added you :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Considering you have no knowledge of this person's medical or treatment history, it seems inappropriate to make specific suggestions. You may have worked with thousands of people who are struggling with mental health issues, but your response is filled with "I" and that says a lot about how you approach treatment.

OP:
    It is awesome that you have found a treatment approach that is working for you. Many times people will gain weight with the addition of meds because they finally start feeling better, but it is great that you are expressing all of your concerns with your treatment team. A healthy mind is an important aspect to a healthy body. I wish you the best.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Wow - this isn't about you. How many times did you refer to yourself in your response? Get over yourself. You're kind of an *kitten*.

OP - good for you for not languishing and wanting to take control. Hats off and I wish you all the best.
  • valynn0312
    Options
    I also have BP2 and struggle with my weight. That's with the added PCOS, though.
    The struggle for me with BP2 is that I did gain a lot of weight when on the various meds they put me on to help with my mental health. I had to get off the Seroquel immediately though, because it made me SO sick!

Lately it's just finding my motivation to get out of bed and get exercising. I have to remind myself daily that excuses don't burn calories.
    Also, I'm off all my meds for 6 months now and doing pretty well with handling depression/manic episodes.

Ignore the person earlier to was just being a jerk. I *know* where you're coming from and I know how hard it can be. Keep going!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Thank goodness you aren't her "Therapist, Psychologist, QMHP, and counselor."
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options

well said!!
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too have bipolar disorder and unless someone has it or is really close to it, they don't understand. It's not always about over eating. A LOT of days it's literally hard to get out of bed much less have the energy to exercise.

Feel free to add me. I've been struggling with it since I was diagnosed at 16. I don't have insurance right now though so I haven't been on meds for it in about 2 years... so although I don't have the med side effects, I also don't have them helping my mental state to keep on track. :(
  • snappyapples
    Options
    HI OP! I'm not BP but borderline (which is a lot like BP but with more rapid swings (more or less) and I too struggle with my weight. I've been off my meds for a few years now because I didn't like how they made me feel (though I totally support other people on medications, it just wasn't right for me) and learning more each day on how to deal with my episodes and how to not binge eat to deal with them!

You are more than welcome to add me as a friend, I log almost every day and try my best to be encouraging to everyone!

Also, ignore that first poster, what a jerk! It sounds like someone needs the APA to reevaluate their license.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

What? I had to read the OP's post to see if anything you said applied to her. She said the meds made her hungry, never did she directly referred that it made her fat. If she's here she's also being accountable of her own eating habits to lose weight.

I call troll. As a Psychologist student I would've never said any of the things you said based on little information and no knowledge of the OP.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    HI OP! I'm not BP but borderline (which is a lot like BP but with more rapid swings (more or less) and I too struggle with my weight. I've been off my meds for a few years now because I didn't like how they made me feel (though I totally support other people on medications, it just wasn't right for me) and learning more each day on how to deal with my episodes and how to not binge eat to deal with them!

You are more than welcome to add me as a friend, I log almost every day and try my best to be encouraging to everyone!

Also, ignore that first poster, what a jerk! It sounds like someone needs the APA to reevaluate their license.

I'd say this is why he/she keeps their profile set to private..I was curious if they actually were whom they claimed to be and tried searching for their name and status on google and couldn't find anything...who know maybe I entered it wrong.
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well, hi! I just turned 18 and was diagnosed with bipolar (one doctor said 1, the other said 2) in February. I was put on Seroquel and gained 25 pounds. I was hungry and tired all the time, so tired I would fall asleep while driving. So I'll admit, I needed to make better food choices and exercise. But anyway, in short, when I was manic, I lost weight, and when I was depressed, I gained. My weight has fluctuated a lot in the last 5 years. In addition, I have PCOS and hyperinsulinemia.

I'm still trying to find the perfect medication cocktail (currently at 300mg of lamictal/lamotrigine and 2mg of clomazapem for sleep) as I am currently ultra rapid cycling.

I have made a lot of positive changes in my life because I know that through a balance of therapy, medication, diet (make sure you're getting enough vitamin D and omega-3s) and exercise, the symptoms of bipolar ease up. And it's good for you anyway :)

I go to therapy once a week and will be seeing a psychiatrist regularly. I go to the gym, and am looking into taking yoga and kickboxing classed once a week. I have been eating a variety of new foods (salmon, flaxseed/meal) and more fruits and veggies.

All in all, I would love to become friends. Bipolar buddies unite :)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Wow. When did the OP blame her diagnosis? Must be interesting being one of your clients, especially if you're required to read their case notes before the initial consultation :noway: :noway:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm not bipolar but do suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. I have found that running really reduces (or in my case eliminates) any episodes or any depressing situations. I haven't had one since early January or late December. It's one of the reason's I won't stop running. I love the feeling I get from it, it helps me physically as well as mentally. no crazy thoughts, just pure bliss. I can take almost everything thrown at me now. I'm still taking my meds but running helps me out a lot on days I think I can't handle it.
  • BP2BABE
    BP2BABE Posts: 5
    Options

Would like to respond to this but I think other posters here reiterated it in my behalf and thank you so much guys for the kind and encouraging words.

Its just sad that some practitioners can act like this and its a shame that they represent the Mental Health Community.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thank you for posting your request. I am BP Type I. Lithium and Wellbutrin. I lost a job from the sleepies lithium can cause. Life can suck with BP. But, as we all know, there is that up side to the condition that can make life really REALLY interesting.

The second poster caught a lot of criticism, and I will not defend him/her. But I will say I got a lot of insight from the post and it caused me to think "Yeah I am guilty of that." So, everyone is a basket-case one way or another. Big deal. I will find the good in everyone if I can. I am all for having BP friends on MFP. Thanks again for asking.
  • gregbennett1973
    gregbennett1973 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi BP2BABE

Firstly, really well done for wanting to tackle your weight gain. I'm not bipolar myself, but have been on psych drugs myself for 21 years. I wish I'd tackled my weight gain quickly, but I always assumed I would come off the meds soon enough (my condition of paranoia was started by illegal drug taking, so I hoped it would dissipate once I stopped taking illegal drugs). Unfortunately 21 years later, after a couple of failed attempts to come off the meds, it seems I pretty much need to be on them permanently.

So about 16 months ago I joined MyFitnessPal. Here's some things that have helped me. Hope they are of use to you.

The first thing was realising that the meds made me hungry and so I ate more than I needed to. Up until starting to diet I didn't know whether the meds affected my metabolism too. I'm pretty sure they don't as I have been able to lose weight by eating what MyFitnessPal recommends.

Logging food made me realise that I need far less food than I had been eating previously. However I am basically permanently hungry and I think, as you have spotted yourself, this is the main problem with psychiatric meds (at least, the one I take - Sulpiride).

I have basically trained myself to get used to feeling hungry for much of the day. It's actually quite good for me mentally to be a little bit hungry - after all, lots of people fast when they want to focus their minds.

I fairly quickly found going to bed hungry to be fairly depressing, so I tend to save a lot if my calories for the evening. I appreciate this is really inverted to how people often suggest that one diets, but I just don't like to go to bed hungry and thankfully I have been able to lose weight with this regime.

With regard to tiredness caused by the meds, I've completely cut out both wheat and dairy after seeing a nutritionist and this has massively increased my energy levels. You might want to consider that.

Not sure if any of this helps, but it seems to be working for me. Feel free to choose me as a friend - there's only so much I can say here.

Really well done for wanting to get on top of your weight so soon after going on meds - I wish I had done the same.

All the very best

Greg
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have cyclothymic disorder, as well as a generalized anxiety disorder. I would love to support you on your journey, if you don't mind that I am slightly obsessed with video games and science fiction.
  • SoTiredOfMe
    SoTiredOfMe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I invite you to be on Seroquel and LIthium (I have!) and NOT gain weight.

These are chemicals going into your brain. Although they are needed, they do have these side effects (very common, I may add; a quick Google search that show you that).

Good luck finding patients that will stick with your methods. People go to counselors for help, not to be verbally battered.

Maybe this profession isn't for you.

If anyone would like to add me, I'd be more than happy to oblige. I'm also Bipolar Type II and am struggling with weight loss.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know that my BP technically did not cause my weight gain... but rapid cycling and stuffing myself when I was on manic highs as well as other highly impulsive, highly self-destructive behaviors sure did. Same with the blackest of depression crashes.

I'm on Tegretol and Lamictal, which has helped noticeably with the highs, though the depression sometimes breaks through. Was on Zoloft as well for a while but he took me off to give me a break for a while. My Psychiatrist agrees that any weight gain is NOT a good idea since I'm already so stressed out by my weight, gaining would send me right over the edge, I assure you- so we are limited on what to try that doesn't have as high a risk of gain as a side effect. It does help me function better though I also will tell you I wish I felt better than I do. But no denying there is an improvement and my impulses, while still there, are easier to try and keep a grip on. This is after a few years of playing around with a few different meds and doses, etc.
This discussion has been closed.