I need help!!!!

Okay here goes nothin......I need one on one help....I want to start lifting but I don't want to bulk up but I do want muscle definition, if that makes sense? I have no clue where to start!

Replies

• naomigee161
    naomigee161 Posts: 41 Member
    Buy the book 'the new rules of lifting for women' :) that's everything you need to know
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Or Stronglifts.

Eat at a deficit and you won't "bulk up."
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Buy the book 'the new rules of lifting for women' :) that's everything you need to know

This ^^^
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member

+1
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    from back in the cave man days...... heavy weights low reps builds muscle...bulk you up....

light weight, many reps builds definition ......

pretty simple
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Or Stronglifts.

Eat at a deficit and you won't "bulk up."
    bingo. you won't bulk up... regardless from what some folks think happened in cave-man days.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    You will not get bulky - it's nearly impossible for women to bulk, we don't have the testosterone for it.

This gal lifts heavy. Pic on the right is after the left, after she'd been lifting heavy for some time. Is she bulky?
    progress.jpg

Read her inspiring story here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/26/an-update-with-staci-our-powerlifting-superhero-plus-academy-scholarships/
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Been lifting for 14 months through crossfit. I am not bulky. I am smaller than I have ever been. Bought my first EVER size 2 jeans and size 2 dress this weekend.

Crossfit, lifting etc.. was the catalyst for my transformation. Never looked even half this good with just cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    from back in the cave man days...... heavy weights low reps builds muscle...bulk you up....

light weight, many reps builds definition ......

pretty simple

:huh:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    just lift. if you find that your starting to build to much muscle, tone down the workouts. i always hear people saying that they dont want to lift because they are afraid of gaining too much muscle, but if it were really that easy dont you think that every guy would have 20" biceps and be able to bench 350 lbs?
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    I'm here to tell you that it is a lot harder for women to bulk up, but all of that depends on nutrition (and steroids). If anything, lifting WILL help you get definition, so I encourage it. As long as you are eating clean, drinking plenty of water, and lifting regularly, you will gain the muscle. The more muscle you gain, the more fat you lose. That's how it works.