Am I the only one who hates water ??

Options

Replies

• christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! Drinking water has helped my weight loss a ton. For one, I stopped drinking my calories in the form of soda and fruit juices. This was a huge cut in calories and I started losing weight without trying. Another reason is that if your sodium (salt) intake is high, water will help flush that out and cut down on your being bloated.

The way I did it was to cut back gradually on my sodas and juices, replacing them with water. I drink a coffee each morning, will have a glass or two of iced tea (that I brew and make myself so I can control how much sugar), and then water the rest of the time. Occasionally I will have a soda or juice when I am out, but it is more the exception. I have found that my taste buds have changed and I crave water and feel bloated when I don't drink enough.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you hate water, don't drink it. It's not a secret magic trick for losing weight. I'm fairly certain you drink something when you're thirsty, be it milk, tea, coffee, soda pop, Kool-Aid, etc..

I drink water for 2 reasons:
    1. it's free
    2. it has no calories
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I can't even function normally without 6 glasses a day at least! I normally drink a gallon of water a day!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    1383096077831_hm2d0t.jpg

Both are mostly water^^^^^^^^^^^^ NOH8
  • nomadic_frau
    nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2-3L of plain water a day and there are some days when I get bored(not hate) of the flavor or lack thereof? Haha. On those days I may add 1/4L(one serving) of the Newman's Own Lemonade to my liter bottle.

You can view the nutritional value below. I'm not a total stickler every single day, but I would count it.
    http://www.newmansown.com/products/newmans-own-organic-virgin-lemonade/
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Maybe you feel bloated if you gulp a gallon at once??? Try sipping small amounts frequently. Also, if you are going to do flavored water (which I highly recommend if you can't stand plain water) flavor it yourself. Infuse with whatever fruit you like for a day and, BOOM, water, but better. Skip the sweeteners!!! Otherwise you are drinking your calories. No Buenos.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking water either, and certainly don't bother counting the amount of water I consume to make sure I have enough

Makes absolutely no difference to my weight loss whatsoever and there are countless articles that disprove the minimum water myth (as I'm sure there are many to endorse it)
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day

All I will say is that if you're not drinking zero calorie water then you are drinking something that contains calories - but as long as you're taking that into account with your total calorie intake, then you're ok.

Ultimately water would be part of the absolute perfect diet that you should consume, but who follows that?
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I used to not hate it, but really not enjoy it much. I still for some reason cannot drink it much in the morning--makes me want to urp. But as the day goes on, it tastes better. Who knows. It also helps a lot if it is very cold. And as someone else mentioned, infusing it with a fruit flavor helps a lot. I almost always add either a lemon wedge or a splash of bottled lemon juice. A little different flavor makes a big difference. I have read that other ingredients in your drinks (like sugar) makes a difference in how well your body utilizes the water. I have problems with water retention, and drinking more water always helps with that. Good luck, whatever you decide!
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It depends on my mood and the quality of my fridge's filtration system! Some days I have to choke down every drop or flavor it with citrus, tea, or juice, and some days I can't get enough (last week I got back from a trip where I'd had minimal access to beverages and ended up drinking 16 cups of water in 12 hours--4 of them I just chugged as soon as I'd filled my bottle!). As long as you're staying hydrated, though, it shouldn't matter too much where you're getting your water from.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't love water, but even before I started this journey, I only allowed myself to drink water, and one small cup of coffee in the morning. No soda, and maybe some juice now and than. I just had to force myself to get used to it.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I kinda hate it. I feel like the more water I drink the thirstier I get. Also, I hate peeing all the time. I use the ticker here to track water because otherwise I just don't drink much at all and then find myself desperately thirsty, chugging glasses before bed and having to pee in the middle of the night. I find it easier to chug room temperature water a few times a day rather than sipping cold water throughout the day. I hate sipping - its SO ANNOYING.

I drink coffee and occasionally alcohol in the evenings but have never been into drinking anything else.

Setting up an alarm on my phone to remind me to drink water is something I have occasionally considered. I would probably ignore it though.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Honestly I cannot fathom not liking water!!! What do you do when you're thirsty? You're bloated from not drinking enough water, water isn't the cause of your bloat. You need to retrain your brain because naturally that is all our body wants to hydrate. Try ice water, lemon water.. Sorry I'm not much help.

This. Water tastes like nothing, it literally has no flavor, how can anyone hate it? Does not compute.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Honestly I cannot fathom not liking water!!! What do you do when you're thirsty? You're bloated from not drinking enough water, water isn't the cause of your bloat. You need to retrain your brain because naturally that is all our body wants to hydrate. Try ice water, lemon water.. Sorry I'm not much help.

This. Water tastes like nothing, it literally has no flavor, how can anyone hate it? Does not compute.

I agree. I cannot relate to this passionate dislike of water at all. Water is one of my favourite things ever. The thought of not liking water is as alien to me as not liking food. It makes no sense. What happens when you get thirsty?! Surely every human experiences thirst, no?
  • Lara883
    Lara883 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone !
    Wow lots of opinions here... Thank you all !
    Anyways , yes i do get thirsthy , i will have a litlle sip of water then Im fine, i know for some people its hard to understand this but every body is diferent right?
    As some other users said sometimes water really makes me sick and maybe its genetics too as my mom is like that too! Who knows?! well i will try to incorporate it more i to my new lifestyle as i feel "weird "
    For barely drinking water each day
    Thanks for all ideas , they are for sure very helpful !
  • kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'd never be able to drink the 'recommended' about of water a day without squash. I just buy sugar-free squash and get through it that way! :smile:
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    george_costanza003.jpg

THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME THIRSTY!!!
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Find ways to dress up your water until you like it. You can add lemon slices, frozen berries, etc. for infusing.

Here's a neat site you might find useful: www.infusedwaters.com :smile:
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hate water as well. But it's all i drink. i do add crystal lite drops or mio most days and thats how i get it down. No added calories but it isn't the most natural flavoring!
  • klingonbarbie
    klingonbarbie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i drink also too much tea due to work desk boredom, i have from today increased my water intake, i prefer sparkling water to still water, but both have to be ice cold, just don't like warm water
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

I agree. I cannot relate to this passionate dislike of water at all. Water is one of my favourite things ever. The thought of not liking water is as alien to me as not liking food. It makes no sense. What happens when you get thirsty?! Surely every human experiences thirst, no?

Water isn't the only thing humans can drink to satisfy thirst. A lot of people seem to forget that (not picking on you guys/gals). Some folks need to have flavor, so they have tea or coffee or sugar water. When I lived in Iowa, the water tasted (and still does) like warm iron; yes even icy cold water. I drank mostly soda pop when I was thirsty - as a kid and broke college student, I lived on Kool-Aid. I moved to Newfoundland and the water has no aftertaste. I still drink other things (milk), but water has no calories so I don't have to worry about fitting it into my daily allotment.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!