Cycle commuters - what's your commute like?

Options
Anyone cycle to work today and want to share?

It was a cold clear morning for me, but it's been raining since I arrived at work luckily I have neoprene shoe covers - my feet are really the only thing I don't like getting wet..

My ride starts with about 1/2 mile uphill, then a mile or so gentle up and down along a fairly busy but wide road, then a mile or so through a small village and then I'm often by myself in the countryside for a few miles. I pass by horses, bunnies, squirrels, before the last little bit of main road to my office. It's about 6.5 miles and is about a mile further than my previous route but my previous route is along horrible busy, fast, narrow country lanes - not fun.

What's your commute like?

Replies

• bridall
    bridall Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I ride occasionally to work, I'd like to do it more but as it takes an hour (22kms) each way I don't always make the effort to fit it in. Especially as the days get shorter.

I ride through some suburban back streets for about 5kms, to get onto a bike way that then takes me all the way into the city. The bike way is very pleasant. Once in the city I have about 3kms playing with cars before getting to my office building. Actually the cars are not to bad, I pick streets with bike paths and they are often going slow due to congestion. My office is great for bike commuters. We have a place to hang them up inside and a shower we can leave a towels etc. in.

I ride a 1991 World Randonneur (Touring Bike) I converted it to a 250W e-bike about 12 months ago. It makes the last 10kms up hill home doable at the end of the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine's quite great. It's only a few miles, and is on a designated bike route. It takes me about 20 minutes in the morning and 15 going home. I ride or walk almost every day, unless the weather is absolutely horrible.

I have a great little commuter bike with built in headlight and tail light. Panniers and a rack.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I commute to work approximately 3 miles away (5K). Commute to work is slight downhill so not much of an exertion but I do live in the city so it's a constant stop and go with traffic lights. Coming back home, slightly hillier but hey it's only 3 miles. :)

I own a Fuji commuter bike and take that to work. I also have a Trek Madone road bike for those long rides on the weekends.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    2005 Specialized Allez Sport. I have made the ride from work to home on occasion my car is broke. 13.4 mile ride. I usually get it done in about 40 minutes.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    commute

from home to the station 2 miles (10mins)
    from the station to the office 5 miles (25mins)
    from the office back to the station 5 miles (22mins)
    from the station to home 2 miles (10mins)

5 days per week = 70 miles per week

Its my cardio (plus some badminton) and keeps the fat off :)

Today was a cold one but looks quite nice to cycle this afternoon
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Mine's about 6 miles, mostly bike paths. But it's not just one path -- about 4 of them with some cutting into roads to get from path to path. It gets hairy at two intersections during rush hour and I can often find myself waiting 5 minutes before I can pass. I ride a hybrid and have waterproof saddle bags and rain gear if needed, but do not ride in the winter much.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm about to head off for the return leg home - the rain has stopped although it's still pretty grey out there.

I ride a ridgeback Voyager touring bike (English I think) - I don't like it very much but it's taken me to quite a few places and has been sturdy and reliable. And given that it lives in my rainy English garden I'm pleased that it hasn't rusted to bits by now.

Have a good ride home all you commuters.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I ride a mile and a half each way, mostly it's a bike lane on a medium-busy city street. There's one hill each way, I don't have to shift for it but I do definitely feel it. Usually if it's raining I'll walk instead of ride. I rode this morning because it was gorgeous, despite a 90% chance of rain when I head home.

I like to bike because parking downtown where I work is about $6/day. Also -- it takes me about 12 minutes to bike to work. I think it would take longer than that to drive, park somewhere, and then walk from there...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My commute is 3 miles each way, mostly along country roads, with a short uphill bit at the end once I get to the university campus where I work. Today it was about 45 F when I left, with a strong (10-15 mph) northerly wind that slowed me down on the northbound stretch of my ride.

I ride an upright, Dutch-style commuter with an 8-speed hub gear, an enclosed chaincase to protect my trousers, and a generator-powered lighting system. It's heavy and unwieldy for long rides, but it works fine for 6-10 miles a day. The day I rode it a total of 25 miles, I regretted it. (If I know I'm going to ride that far when I start out in the morning, I'll use my touring bike.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't commute most days yet, but I'm trying to work up to where I do so and don't get scared off by some rain and predicted thunderstorms, like today. One of my problems is that I often leave work late and while this isn't a big deal in the summer, in spring and fall (and especially winter) it means risking a ride home in the dark, which I'm not yet prepared for. (Winter has other issues, but I'm not worrying about that yet.)

Anyway, my commute offers a choice of about 6 miles in the bike lane along traffic most of the way, with a small bit at the end in a car lane, or about 8 miles, most of which is in a dedicated bike path along Lake Michigan. I prefer the latter. To the bike path is a short (1.5 m) ride in low-traffic neighborhood streets, and from the path is a ride along a busy downtown street, but with a bike lane. The ride to work is a delight when the weather is nice, and my office building makes it easy by having a gym where one can change and freshen up. The ride back isn't quite as nice, as there's no bike lane on the street I take to the path (but that's pretty short) and the path tends to be much more crowded, but it's still more pleasure ride than commute when the weather cooperates.

Right now going the longer way takes me about 45 mins, although I'm trying to work on the speed. That's what taking public transportation takes also.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My commute is 3 miles each way, mostly along country roads, with a short uphill bit at the end once I get to the university campus where I work. Today it was about 45 F when I left, with a strong (10-15 mph) northerly wind that slowed me down on the northbound stretch of my ride.

I ride an upright, Dutch-style commuter with an 8-speed hub gear, an enclosed chaincase to protect my trousers, and a generator-powered lighting system. It's heavy and unwieldy for long rides, but it works fine for 6-10 miles a day. The day I rode it a total of 25 miles, I regretted it. (If I know I'm going to ride that far when I start out in the morning, I'll use my touring bike.)
    Your bike sounds a lot like mine. And yes, great for commutes, but not so great for long rides. I have a nice touring bike for that as well.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 miles from my job if I take the short route, 9-ish if I take the scenic route along the river. Both routes are mainly along dedicated bike paths, except for the last mile when I get into the downtown area. My building has an indoor bike garage and a nice little locker room, so I don't have to worry if I get all sweaty and icky on my ride in.

I commute when: (a) there's no snow or ice on the ground and (b) when it's not raining. I got a few days in in March, and then 15 days in in April. Sadly, this week is all forecasted to be be rain and/or snow, so I'm getting a bit antsy.

My bike is an old Schwinn mountain bike, from before they were bought by Pacific Cycle. Not the greatest bike, but it's served me well thus far. I have it "tricked" out for commuting with added fenders and a rack. My sister keeps telling me how wonderful her dedicated commuter bike is, but for now, I'm liking my current bike for dealing with potholes and the like. If I do get a new bike, I may chose to go for one that's better for longer rides rather than a commuting one. My longest ride thus far has been 55 miles, and if I want to do a century or a multi day thing, I think I'll need something sleeker. If I had an endless supply of money, I'd probably get a city bike and a touring bike. And, because I'm from Minneapolis, I'd like a fat bike, just in case I ever decided I'd want to do winter riding.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    fairly mixed ride in this morning.
    A large lorry decided to overtake me as another large lorry was coming the other way - not leaving much room for me and I ended up on the grass verge swearing at it.
    Then in the quiet country lane a little colourful bird flew about 5ft infront of me for about 100 yeards. It was quite mesmerising watching him beat his wings, rise a few feet, then fall a bit, then repeat. I dont know what sort of bird it was but it had a yellow head and it seemed to be rubbish at gliding.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so sadly I don't get to ride to work.

If I did, I'd be pretty happy if my commute was as good as my mate Clive's (even with the occasional homicidal driver)

http://www.kinomap.com/watch/yer9kf
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so sadly I don't get to ride to work.

If I did, I'd be pretty happy if my commute was as good as my mate Clive's (even with the occasional homicidal driver)

http://www.kinomap.com/watch/yer9kf
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My usual (shortest) commute is 21.9km (13.5 miles). The above commute was an 'extended effort' because the sun was shining, but you get the general idea :laugh:
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    2.7 miles to work on a regular bike. I live in Holland so the bike paths are really good.

Mind you, I used to take my car to work when I used to be so freaking LAZY and blame it on the weather. Now, come rain or shine, snow or sunny - I GO BY MY BIKE!!!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    About 10 miles overall, so very doable.

A sharp climb within metres of my front gate to get the heart going, then about 3 miles of downhill (yes, the climb is *that* sharp!) then the rest is pretty flat with some hidden slow uphill sections - a ***** with a headwind! I travel through the countryside for the first 2/3 of the commute, then onto a very busy Surrey A-road, before ducking off through the local town. I finish with a 2 km ride (on a segment!) through a country park, before the last km on road.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    the bike I ride

paratrooper.jpg

the best commuting bike i've ever had, strong enough to be a complete of roader (have taken it out lots over weekends) but also folds so i can get on trains.

worth every penny
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm just popping in to say how jealous I am of those who can commute to work on your bike. I think I may need to look for a new job. ;)
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My commute is 11 miles give or take. The first 3 miles are town based and busy, then it's out in to the country for about 5 miles, then another 3ish busy town based. It is along the A38 which connects the two towns of Bridgwater and Taunton, and even out in the countryside it's busy, especially at the times of day I travel. Generally traffic wise the majority of people give me good space, but there is the occasional **** head that tries to scare me. I ride Monday - Friday come rain or shine so I'm pretty immune to it now, and the same goes for the weather! :wink:

I love my commute; it's increased my fitness, made me faster and definitely mentally tougher! :happy:

Oh I ride a Dave Hinde road frame built up with my own fair hand; I use it for everything from TT's to my commutes! You could say it's my work horse! :laugh: