TYRING TO GET A FLATTER TUMMY

So I bought my first bikini in over 9 years this past weekend. I cried. It was such a strange feeling. Its hanging in my closet. I am 5*9 @ 171. I am still not comfortable to wear it out by any means BUT the fact that I bought it and I didnt feel it was awful. My goal is to wear it out by the end of summer and feel good. Last week I started to ad to my carido/weight work out a small ab workout. It takes about 7-9 min to complete. I do:

30: I am laying down my legs are straight and I move them slowly up and down without touching the floor 30 times (i dont know the name of this)
15: butt lifts : I am laying on the ground and I have my legs straight in the air and lift my butt up (works lower ab) 15 times
20: crunches with opposite knee elbow. 20 full sets
30: regular crunches

Is this enough? Should I be doing more ab work?

On a good note we went to a waterpark in February and I had to buy a XL top for my bathing suit. I went to put it on this weekend as we were going swimming and it was huge! So I went to target and got a MEDIUM! I cant tell you the last time I bought a MEDIUM!!!

Replies

• Nathalia2009
    Nathalia2009 Posts: 75 Member
    ANY IDEAS IF i SHOULD ADD MORE?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    Well those are great and my tummy is no where near flat yet, but don't stay the same on these, gradually move up on them all, doing the same thing over and over will keep you remaining the same.
  • Nathalia2009
    Well those are great and my tummy is no where near flat yet, but don't stay the same on these, gradually move up on them all, doing the same thing over and over will keep you remaining the same.

I have only been doing part of it for 2 weeks added the rest last week. I figured I would add higher numbers starting next week
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Leg raises
    and then the butt lift thing (those are good)
    are all good options
    bicycles are good

I wouldnt' do flat out crunches

some other options
    Planks
    Weighted planks
    one arm plank/one leg plank
    incline plank (put your feet up)
    up down plank
    up down plank on stairs or a riser
    russian twists
    hanging leg raises
    floor wipers

Calorie deficit - keep on that.

A solid mix of cardio and heavy lifting will help get you a great body really.

But honestly at 5'9 and 170- you're fine.

I'm 5'8" and 170 and I have no issues bearing my midriff or legs. keep working at it- but honestly you're probably fab as you are- just going to take some time. :)

You look great already - so just rock it!!!
  • Nathalia2009
    your such a sweet heart ! lol. I could probably weigh 103 (not that I want to lol) and still would not feel comfortable. I have not wore one in 9 years since before my kids so...I think its a mind thing.

Thanks for the tips! I will add those =)
    Leg raises
    and then the butt lift thing (those are good)
    are all good options
    bicycles are good

I wouldnt' do flat out crunches

some other options
    Planks
    Weighted planks
    one arm plank/one leg plank
    incline plank (put your feet up)
    up down plank
    up down plank on stairs or a riser
    russian twists
    hanging leg raises
    floor wipers

Calorie deficit - keep on that.

A solid mix of cardio and heavy lifting will help get you a great body really.

But honestly at 5'9 and 170- you're fine.

I'm 5'8" and 170 and I have no issues bearing my midriff or legs. keep working at it- but honestly you're probably fab as you are- just going to take some time. :)

You look great already - so just rock it!!!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    I'm working on this too - great advice, thanks for posting!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Bump! My tummy is the only part of my body I hate :(
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    in for the advice :blushing: best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    First, based on your photo, your age and your weight, I doubt people will panic if you appear at the beach in a bikini. You need some self esteem :)
    Second, if you have weight to lose, you can end up having amazing abs, but they will still be hidden underneath a bit of fat. So, focus on weight loss if you are not at your goal weight yet and at whole body training.
    But remember that the average woman at the beach does not have a visible 6pack anyway. Not looking like a supermodel does not mean you need to hide your body, or all the beaches would be empty.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Pilates has really helped me tone and strengthen my core - now as i lose weight, the muscles are starting to be more visible

but you can't spot reduce fat or build muscle on a deficit

reading your post - I thought about the challenge I am running for my Girl Guides (like GIrl Scouts) this term it's called the body confident challenge - it makes me smile every time I read it, so i thought that you may like it too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asciiqwerty/view/taking-on-the-bebodyconfident-challenge-from-girlguiding-640971
  • Nathalia2009
    Pilates has really helped me tone and strengthen my core - now as i lose weight, the muscles are starting to be more visible

but you can't spot reduce fat or build muscle on a deficit

reading your post - I thought about the challenge I am running for my Girl Guides (like GIrl Scouts) this term it's called the body confident challenge - it makes me smile every time I read it, so i thought that you may like it too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asciiqwerty/view/taking-on-the-bebodyconfident-challenge-from-girlguiding-640971

I am starting a new gym today that has classes. I believe they have a Pilates class so I will look into it. Thanks!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    have fun

and remember - it's not instant - it takes hard work and dedication but for me it's worth it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    A flatter tummy will usually require lowering your body fat. Ab exercise will "harden" your abs, but do nothing to reduce the fat over them. Keep doing the exercises, but concentrate more on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Search the forums here, plenty of posts on how to get it. Especially this one is awesome: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

Ab workouts do not work.
  • shields1847
    shields1847 Posts: 14 Member
    strong bro science. Lose fat and you'll see abs.