Help! My *kitten* hates bike seats

Options
Slulik
Slulik Posts: 79 Member
So yes, my *kitten* is very angry when it comes to sitting on bike seats. World of discomfort. On that note, I had my 2nd round of knee surgery and my physio therapist advised me only to bike.

So I am stuck with the crappy gym bike seats....but I have a nice bike that hasn't been used in 10+ years and wouldn't mind starting again. BUT I need an extremely comfortable seat for it.

Any suggestions for a new bike seat that will fit my rump, console and massage my rump on rides. Ok, well maybe not massage...but at least so I can last longer than 10 minutes, with some serious comfort and cushioning.

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    An cushy seat is not always what it is cracked up to be. Sometimes, or often really, it will have the opposite effect. People who are on bikes for hours tend to have harder saddles because you want your sit bones to be bearing most of your weight. A cushy seat will mess with this. It might feel more comfortable at first, but as you get more and more miles/hours, it's going to have the opposite effect. When you first start biking or resume biking for the first time after a winter break, saddles will be uncomfortable as your body gets used to being in the saddle again.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only thing I can say is to just keep doing it. And maybe invest in a pair of bike shorts. The more your seat is in the saddle the less it's going to hurt.

I've been training for a Duathlon since mid March and the first few times I got on the bike it hurt like a mofo during and after for a few days (and this was WITH mega padded bike shorts!) Since sitting in the saddle consistently I have conditioned my butt and it no longer hurts (I had to buy a pair of tri shorts and was shocked at the minimal padding however I have had no issues with my rump in those shorts) I went on a 15 mile bike ride Friday afternoon and had zero pain -- and this was while wearing my less padded tri shorts.

So while it's uncomfortable right now the more you sit, the less it'll hurt.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So yes, my *kitten* is very angry when it comes to sitting on bike seats. World of discomfort. On that note, I had my 2nd round of knee surgery and my physio therapist advised me only to bike.

So I am stuck with the crappy gym bike seats....but I have a nice bike that hasn't been used in 10+ years and wouldn't mind starting again. BUT I need an extremely comfortable seat for it.

Any suggestions for a new bike seat that will fit my rump, console and massage my rump on rides. Ok, well maybe not massage...but at least so I can last longer than 10 minutes, with some serious comfort and cushioning.
    Oh I've been there!! Your butt will get used to it though if you keep it up. Start out with a short trip, and build up to longer bike rides till your cheeks can handle it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    An cushy seat is not always what it is cracked up to be. Sometimes, or often really, it will have the opposite effect. People who are on bikes for hours tend to have harder saddles because you want your sit bones to be bearing most of your weight. A cushy seat will mess with this. It might feel more comfortable at first, but as you get more and more miles/hours, it's going to have the opposite effect. When you first start biking or resume biking for the first time after a winter break, saddles will be uncomfortable as your body gets used to being in the saddle again.

Exactly. You need a seat that supports your sit bones without putting pressure anywhere else. The big coushy seats spread the pressure all over, which can cause serious problems. You should feel the pain in the bones of your butt, not on the "soft tissues". Then with some good shorts, and more practice that pain will fade. You can go to a bike shop and get your sit bones measured and then let them suggest some seats. My favorite is WTB Deva. And yes, get some good bike shorts, I just got these and they are pretty good for the price:

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?product_id=1780958
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My back hates bike seats. After I damaged by lumbar spine I had a lot of youble getting back on my bike.

I the end I needed to change my bike to get a better position for me. I tried out a few and got a second hand one for £60 .

But I still had some trouble with it and tried about 14 seats before finding one that worked for me.

Getting your sit bones on the saddle is important. Girls often need wider seats to account for a broader pelvic girdle.
    But the key is to find a good cycle shop that will let you try out some seats on your bike, then offer you a decent return period.

I now use my cheap second hand bike on a training stand as an exercise bike, still using the same cheap second hand bike, but it now has a saddle that cost nearly as much as it did (55 EURO).
  • LittleMy2014
    LittleMy2014 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Padded cycle shorts, don't spend too long on the bike, and use chamois cream after!
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My *kitten* hates them too and I'm scheduled for a knee replacement in May so I know I'm looking forward to a lot of biking. Love the idea of padded bike shorts. Found some padded bike underwear that I think will work. The padded shorts kinda make you look like you have camel-toe, so the underwear with shorts over them should work fine.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I spin 2-3 times per week and have no trouble...anymore. It SUCKS when you first start out though. The soreness was almost enough to keep me away, but I heeded the advice of many others when they said it would be a non-issue as long as you keep going consistently. I don't wear padded shorts or anything either.

The spin instructor does remind us regularly to sit all the way back in the saddle so we're right on our sit bones. This tends to help too.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    You need a properly fitted bike seat so you resting your weight on the "sit bones." If you're fitted right, you'll be fine, no pain whatsoever.
  • Slulik
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the replies. Time to go shopping :)

I have been using the recumbant bike at the gym more than anything, simply because the seat is more comfy. I can do a decent amount of time on that bike, as opposed to the other.

Time to callus up my behind.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I use a gel-pad seat (Walmart, $15 bucks). I carry lots of padding in my behind but the gel-pad helps.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my *kitten* hates bike seats too! I got a gel seat, but in the end I just suck it up and my butt gets used to it. The first few rides make me want to throw my bike in the garbage, but I pull through and by mid-summer, I'm fine. You can also get bike shorts with padding or strap a pillow to your tush. But honestly, it does get better.
  • Slulik
    Options
    I do not want to spend a lot on a bike seat...since well, the last time I was on a bike I was haven't even graduated highschool yet.

And me in bike shorts.....we will just leave it that will never happen :) At least not until I drop a bunch more weight.

I have heard a few things about gel seats. I think that will be a good option until I really get back into the swing of things and make my bike worthwhile.

Thanks again!
  • SouthernEm
    SouthernEm Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You need to look for a seat designed for women, they tend to be shorter and slightly wider than men's designed for our anatomy. I recently got a charge ladle seat for my beautiful vintage road bike as the original was causing me a real pain in the a. It cost £25 so pretty reasonable. Also, I recommend padded cycling shorts (again lady specific). I have some really nice ones that have baggy (think board shorts style) outer layer and the padded Lycra short clips in underneath, much more attractive than Lycra on it's own.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do not want to spend a lot on a bike seat...since well, the last time I was on a bike I was haven't even graduated highschool yet.

And me in bike shorts.....we will just leave it that will never happen :) At least not until I drop a bunch more weight.

I have heard a few things about gel seats. I think that will be a good option until I really get back into the swing of things and make my bike worthwhile.

Thanks again!

You can buy bike shorts that have the built in padded tights with a looser pair over top. Or you can just buy the padded tights and wear your own overtop. It really does make a difference.

Avoid gel seats. As people have said above, a padded/cushioned seat is pretty much the opposite of what you need. They are not the answer and can cause more problems than the fix.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    SouthernEm's feedback was spot-on.

A couple of other things to try. When you are riding, switch seating positions every few minutes. Not a whole lot, just enough to prevent any one area from taking the brunt of the ride. Also periodically rise up off your saddle entirely for 4-5 seconds, especially when you are on a downhill grade. You don't have to completely stand up on your peddles, just elevate an inch or so off your seat.

Finally, you may want to consider picking up a hybrid or mountain bike that comes with wide tires (but smooth unless you do trail riding). Keeping inflation a bit under the max to help smooth out the bumps. There are even seat posts that have a shock built in so that may be another alternative to consider.
  • looklucklove
    looklucklove Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I spin 2-3 times per week and have no trouble...anymore. It SUCKS when you first start out though. The soreness was almost enough to keep me away, but I heeded the advice of many others when they said it would be a non-issue as long as you keep going consistently. I don't wear padded shorts or anything either.

The spin instructor does remind us regularly to sit all the way back in the saddle so we're right on our sit bones. This tends to help too.

I agree. When I started spin class, I felt absolutely VIOLATED after every class! But I kept at it, and now I don't even feel it. Bike 3-4 days a week for two weeks and I bet you won't even notice it anymore.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

It would be the understatement of the decade to say my butt is wider than the average 140 pound, 3% body fat men most bicycle seats are designed for.

The most comfortable bicycle seat I've found for my wide load is Serfas RX Saddle. This style works best on a cruiser, mountain bike or hybrid style bicycle where you sit up. Not leaned over like a racing bike.
    https://www.serfas.com/products/index/saddles/rx-saddles

With any bike, your butt will be sore until your glute muscles are built up. But a wide seat will help prevent the saddle from digging into your butt crack.
  • ihadmail
    ihadmail Posts: 3
    Options
    Go to a local bike shop and let them know that you would like to be fitted for a seat. To save trips, call a few bike shops before you go out to make sure they will be willing to do this. There are tools (basically large foam pads) that you sit on to measure your ischium (sitz bones).

When your seat is sized properly a bike becomes much much more comfortable. It's also important to understand that there is a week or two period after one first starts riding for the soft tissue that you are sitting on to get acclimated to being on the seat. If you feel any numbness at all, STOP riding, this is not good and can lead to permanent tissue damage.

Another way to help alleviate pain/soreness from riding is to wear chamois under your shorts/pants. These are compression shorts with special pads built into them.

I hope this information helps you on your fitness journey!

James
    Facebook.com/itstimetobefit
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Also, the visual "wideness" of an *kitten* has little to do with the width of the actual sit bones. I thought I'd measure super wide as well (40" hips) but ended up being only "med" when it came to sit bones.