Lucky New Year Foods?

Options
ArchyJill
ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
Hey all - we decided to have a mini-feast after the stroke of midnight featuring foods that are supposed to bring you good luck (we'll each just have a taste, then I'm leaving the leftovers to the boys with megametabolism!). Any suggestions?

Replies

• Floricienta
    Options
    Here in Chile it is said that eating lentils and grapes on the 31st brings you good luck. I personally don't eat any of those on New Year's Eve.. maybe that's why I sometimes think I'm cursed! haha
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Here in the south it goes something like this: Collard greens (or some kind of green, if you don't like those) looks like folded up money and are supposed to bring wealth; Ham (due to it's high fat content) is supposed to bring wealth and prosperity, as well; Black-eyed peas are supposed to bring good luck because they also symbolize wealth; and corn bread (due to its golden color) is supposed to bring wealth.

Maybe these foods will bring me the luck to not go over my caloric goals for the day! LOL!

Yum....now I've gone and made myself hungry! :laugh:
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south and the best is collards and black eyed peas. What else do you need!! :)
  • racingmom7r
    racingmom7r Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In PA Dutch country, we eat pork ans saurkraut (not my favorite) for a prosperous new year.
  • LadyNay191
    Options
    12 grapes @ midnight and nothing with feet on New Year's Day!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Another Southerner here voting for greens (turnip greens or even cabbage here) and black eyed peas (which I HATED for years, maybe that is why I never had luck! :wink: )

Hmm.... I may end up having some of those after all -- I have ham & cornbread already at home, add some cabbage (because canned turnip greens are nasty and my family of 3 will never finish up a bunch of fresh) and maybe some mashed potatoes (from potatoes I have on hand too!) and we are set for supper tomorrow night!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    My neighbor had a can of black-eyed peas on her counter with an ornament on top. Of course I questioned it (we're here in the Midwest) - and she said it was a southern tradition. But she said it used to be caviar, and that the little black spot on the pea is suppose to represent caviar. Black-eyed peas were the "economical" version. I had never heard of that tradition but she says: Black-eyed peas on New Year's Eve!!!
  • Mark1968
    Options
    Blackeye peas (for luck), cabbage (for money), ham (for wealth) and cornbread (becuase it goes well with the other things). I went to the store (in Houston)last night they were sold out of blackeyed peas and cabbage. I have blackeyed peas in the freezer but I am fixin to have to go out and do some major recon for cabbage
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    In PA Dutch country, we eat pork ans saurkraut (not my favorite) for a prosperous new year.

This is what we had for Good luck into the new year.