Ridiculous amount of calories to eat after exercise.

Options

Replies

• SmokinJoe77
    SmokinJoe77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. That goes for eating when you're hungry as well as stopping when you're full. Any time I try to force an extra pound of loss by limiting my intake of calories (My "allowance is 1430 and I have tried to go only 1200), I don't see any significant benefit from it.

I started my weight loss journey in January of this year - like many other people - but for a slightly different reason. My average weight loss has been 1/2 per day (MFP has me at about 10 pounds more lost than actual because it is going back to 2011 when I first tried it). That may seem extreme for some, but it is comfortable and easily maintainable for me. But that's ME, not you. If you feel sluggish or sapped for energy, eat more protein rich foods. If you feel bloated and 'blah', reduce your fats, gluten and carbs. If these things don't have the desired effect, find something that works for you. :)

I try to only eat to my food goal and not 'eat back' my workout calories. That keeps me between two and three pounds or weight loss per week because some weeks are better than others at hitting my goals.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    1000 calories? What on earth are you doing? Most I can burn in an hour is 500?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

What if you exercised for two hours?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them ALL back, eat anywhere between 1/3 and 3/4. But 1200 cals is pretty low, what is your weight loss goal set at?
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't know your body stats but a lot f times calorie burn is overestimated and food under estimated. As other have mentioned listen to your body, but know that if you are not properly fueling your body and trying to sustain these high levels of calorie burn the injury/burnout is not pretty. Been there. Plus look into calorie dense foods.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Honestly if I eat 1750, and burn 1000 at the gym. All I do is have a 170 calorie protein shake, and go to bed at times. That may net just 920, but honestly I ate near 2,000 calories, and I know I'll make it up later in the week.
    That advice can be very flawed. Hopefully in due time you will realize that.
    I am exercising at a rate that i feel necessary to build my strength, lose weight, and boost metabolism... but my calorie goal for weight loss is 1200... and after burning 1000 exercising, that means a 2200 calorie day. I ate a jumbo bowl of popcorn at the end of the day to make up those extra few hundred calories... but it just seems like too much food. leaving me feel heavy. concerned also that the more i eat, the more i will want or need to eat every day... i love food, but would love to just be able to eat about 1700 to 1800 and feel content and healthy. don't want to drop below 1200 net... and 2200 seems way too much... would less exercise be the best option?

If you don't know how to eat like an athlete, maybe you shouldn't be training like one.

You don't need to burn 1000 calories in exercise every day...not really sustainable for most, particularly if you don't know how to properly fuel that activity.

Your calorie deficit for weight loss is built into your calorie goal before exercise...meaning you would lose your weight just eating to that calorie goal. You exercise for fitness and if you aren't a reasonably fit individual, doing that much exercise is likely overtrain. I'm very fit and active and the only days I have burns like that are on my long ride days where I'm out on my bike for 3 hours plus and covering a good 30-40 miles....I know I'm going to burn a lot so I eat a lot...I don't wait until the evening to get my calories in, I plan them into my day.

I would add to that, if indeed you are training like that and burning that many calories on a regular basis, 2200 calories is nothing....on a long ride day I eat around 3500 calories to maintain...I would still lose about 1 Lb per week eating around 3000 calories.
    This here^^^ is great advice as always.

I don't feel like it's flawed. My weekly goal numbers turn out fine. It seems unnecessary to force yourself to eat when you aren't really hungry. Later on in the week I'll have a night where I need that extra snack that makes up for the previous net goal.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand what exercise you are doing. Also, are you burning 1000 cals every day?

I'm a runner, but not very big. I wear a HRM when I workout and I burn less than 100 cals/mile. For example, I ran 10 miles yesterday but burned less than 950 cals. But I have no trouble eating all my cals and basically graze most of the day until I eat a big dinner.

I hope you're not trying to burn that much each day. You will start to burn out and over train which is also not good!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

What if you exercised for two hours?

^^ This.
    Plus exercise burns also depend on weight. Heavier a person is, the more they can potentially burn.
    I burn around 600 an hour on the elliptical, set to interval training, because I work out intensely. And I am 131Ibs.
    I often have 1000 calorie burns. But, I eat to fuel them. As someone else said, if you cannot eat to fuel that sort of activity level, then it is best you reduce your exercise.
  • alicekelli
    alicekelli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Weight loss goal is 25 lbs.. For sine reason my tracker doesn't appear? Each time I exercise, my protien requirements also go up, lol. This is tricky for me too! I did an hour of cardio / strength... almost an hour of "power" walking (it's very hilly here)... and evening yoga! All tips are appreciated. Thanks everyone!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Okay- so why has no one said this

WTH are you eating popcorn?

it's incredibly filling and not that high in caloires unless you are fully loaded cheese/butter popcorn.

you need REAL food- and real calories-I would be drinking a half gallon of milk a day with that kind of deficit.

And 2200 is not THAT much. It feels like it when you are at a deficit- but it's really not.

4 oreo's- 2 servings of ice cream and some fruit is like 5-600 calories.

Have at it.

If you aren't eating enough with those burns- you WILL have a problem.

You need to eat. Even if it means you drink your calories- you need to eat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A 15Km run is about 1000cals (with HRM) and so the data in the Op is not outrageous.

My go to food after a good run like that us mostly Protein based.

I also don't think 1000 calories is outrageous in some cases, I also burn quite a few on a long run. However, the OP is not running distance.

OP - from what you are describing and the fact you don't have much to lose, I suspect you aren't actually burning 1000 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

You may also want to check this out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Also your protein requirements go up because when you log exericse, your calorie goal goes up. Your macros are set to be a percentage of your calorie goal, so the higher your calorie goal, the higher your protein, carb and fat goals are.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Honestly if I eat 1750, and burn 1000 at the gym. All I do is have a 170 calorie protein shake, and go to bed at times. That may net just 920, but honestly I ate near 2,000 calories, and I know I'll make it up later in the week.
    I am exercising at a rate that i feel necessary to build my strength, lose weight, and boost metabolism... but my calorie goal for weight loss is 1200... and after burning 1000 exercising, that means a 2200 calorie day. I ate a jumbo bowl of popcorn at the end of the day to make up those extra few hundred calories... but it just seems like too much food. leaving me feel heavy. concerned also that the more i eat, the more i will want or need to eat every day... i love food, but would love to just be able to eat about 1700 to 1800 and feel content and healthy. don't want to drop below 1200 net... and 2200 seems way too much... would less exercise be the best option?

If you don't know how to eat like an athlete, maybe you shouldn't be training like one.

You don't need to burn 1000 calories in exercise every day...not really sustainable for most, particularly if you don't know how to properly fuel that activity.

Your calorie deficit for weight loss is built into your calorie goal before exercise...meaning you would lose your weight just eating to that calorie goal. You exercise for fitness and if you aren't a reasonably fit individual, doing that much exercise is likely overtrain. I'm very fit and active and the only days I have burns like that are on my long ride days where I'm out on my bike for 3 hours plus and covering a good 30-40 miles....I know I'm going to burn a lot so I eat a lot...I don't wait until the evening to get my calories in, I plan them into my day.

I would add to that, if indeed you are training like that and burning that many calories on a regular basis, 2200 calories is nothing....on a long ride day I eat around 3500 calories to maintain...I would still lose about 1 Lb per week eating around 3000 calories.

I don't feel like it's flawed. My weekly goal numbers turn out fine. It seems unnecessary to force yourself to eat when you aren't really hungry. Later on in the week I'll have a night where I need that extra snack that makes up for the previous net goal.
    It is flawed. Hunger is a trained hormonal response to behavior. We evolved to eat whenever we had food available, which meant eating thousands of calories at once, and then fasting for days until food was available again. The modern "hunger pangs" generally come from habit. You eat at the same time every day, so your body says "hey it's that time" because that's your normal routine.

Besides, if our body told us when to stop and eat, and when to stop eating, then why would any of us need to be here losing/gaining/maintaining weight?

cwolfman13 and MrM27 hit it perfectly.
  • Joline1207
    Joline1207 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try (don't always succeed) to NOT eat back my calories burned unless I am hungry. It may seem like a lot of extra calories, but if you don't feel hungry - just let them be. If you continuously eat back those calories, you might find yourself plateauing at some point - like me! Listen to your body - if hungry and the calories are available - snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

The issue here is that if you're truly getting 1,000 calorie plus burns on a regular basis, you have quite a heavy training load. Exercise is good for you, but it is also very hard on the body and energy (calories) and nutrients for recovery and repair are required. After a 40 mile plus ride, my body needs those nutrients NOW for recovery and repair, not in a couple days when I feel like overindulging.

This isn't as big of an issue if you're just going for a walk or jumping on a treadmill for a half hour or something...when you're actually training and breaking down your body like that, you need that nutrition post haste to optimize recovery as well as to optimize your fitness gains.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I try (don't always succeed) to NOT eat back my calories burned unless I am hungry. It may seem like a lot of extra calories, but if you don't feel hungry - just let them be. If you continuously eat back those calories, you might find yourself plateauing at some point - like me! Listen to your body - if hungry and the calories are available - snack.

So you think it's healthy to consume around 1200 calories and then go burn off 1,000 calories with exercise and just let it be? Do you even math?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back all of my exercise calories. I can, however, burn 1000 calories kick boxing. I'm pretty tall (5'9") for a woman.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's REALLY important to understand which method of deficit you are using and really you need to know what your NET calories for the day is.

I use the eat back method- but if you use TDEE- and your workout calories are already accounted for- then no- don't eat back.

this trips up a number of people frequently-
    If you aren't eating back- and you are not using a system with them already calculated in- you NEED to be eating them back.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Do you plan your days ahead with assumed exercise calories??

I usually pre log my day in the morning leaving 600-700 calories to play with for dinner. I know I'm going to exercise so I know i want to hit at least 1800-1900. If I end up not exercising for whatever reason I can either adjust my dinner, skip my dessert or just modify tomorrow. My average TDEE is pretty high so for me 1800-1900 is minimum. I regularly burn 1,000 calories or more in exercise for the day so I still miss my net goal more often then I like. It works out well for the days I give into cravings or go have a girls night out though.

My other question is what are you eating? Some foods are a lot more filling then others and some are better suited for certain exercises. In general carbs for cardio and protein for lifting. If popcorn is too filling or simply too much to eat for you, but you need calories why not do PB on an apple or on toast or on anything? Or turkey breast rolled up with some cheese? IMO it's healthier then popcorn and if you're missing your calories by that much you are most likely not hitting a macro or two.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    OP a person that burns 1000 calories working out per day is classified as a very active person, not sedentary. 1200 calories are for people that whish to loose 2 pounds or more per week.
    I have a desk job, so when I first started to use MFP, I had 1200 calories for intake, but it was not enough for me because I also workout 4 times a week ( Cardio and body pump). Anyway I usually eat all the cardio-burned calories. Now I am getting close to my goal and I have 1700 calories for intake, I try to limit cardio to 20 minutes and still eating the cardio-burned calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The issue here is that if you're truly getting 1,000 calorie plus burns on a regular basis, you have quite a heavy training load. Exercise is good for you, but it is also very hard on the body and energy (calories) and nutrients for recovery and repair are required. After a 40 mile plus ride, my body needs those nutrients NOW for recovery and repair, not in a couple days when I feel like overindulging.

This isn't as big of an issue if you're just going for a walk or jumping on a treadmill for a half hour or something...when you're actually training and breaking down your body like that, you need that nutrition post haste to optimize recovery as well as to optimize your fitness gains.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the OP ain't doing no 40 mile rides. The assumption of the PP also was that the 1000 calorie burn either isn't happening everyday, or that some days, you'd simply prefer to eat more and could splurge a bit using the excess deficit from previous, if not future days. If I have energy to get through a workout, did the nutrients I over ate two days ago suddenly disappear? Frankly, I don't really see the point of eat up all the food and nutrients right after your workout other than selling protein shakes and other ****.