how do i lose weight on my legs?

Options
Anyone got any good ways i can lose weight on my legs? specifically my thighs!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
    ^^^^^
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    calorie deficit and lifting to improve the tone and shape....squats, deadlifts, etc.....worked for me.....my legs will never be small but they look a lot more compact now since starting to lift.....
  • holliestoneley
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

Someone please explain to me what this actually is?!?! is it just having fewer calories?
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, weights, and yoga -- specifically warrior pose and triangle pose.
  • donniesaurous
    donniesaurous Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I couldn't tell it was working as even though I was losing weight, I couldn't tell. A good way to know what you are doing is working and where it is working is to keep a track of your measurements and not just neck, waist and hips, your arms and legs as well and you will see that you lose inches all over if you just keep at it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

Someone please explain to me what this actually is?!?! is it just having fewer calories?
    Ingest fewer calories than your body burns.
  • PhotoGen
    PhotoGen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise them. The "Sharon Stone Machine"... I don't know where that name came from but it is the machine(s) that you sit down and open and close your legs. One you force your legs open and the other you force them closed. Lunges and squats also help. They tone your legs and the more muscle you have the less fat you have. Stretching and cardio is also very helpful with loosing weight from your thighs and butt which is why some women are conflicted because they want to have a nice shapely butt and nice thighs but too much and you'll loose it all.

Think of a long-distance runner vs a sprinter. Long distance-runners do MUCH more cardio and less muscle training and vice versa.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.

yes eat less work out more.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes, the only way to lose weight from your legs is by consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain the same weight (calorie deficit). Unfortunately, you can't choose where your body will lose fat (called "spot reducing"). Your genetics will more or less dictate that, however if you build nice muscles in your legs they will appear more lean as you lose weight and when you get to your ideal weight or physique you will have nice legs :)
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Can't spot train. Have to just lose fat in general. Lift weights and your legs will get more firm and shapely as well.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    All of the above and I found that stairs worked for me! I started out at 10 flights a day and now average 20 flights a day!

I trimmed 4 inches off my thighs and it did not start happening until I started adding stairs into my daily routine!

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Pr1ncessWarrior
    Pr1ncessWarrior Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ones is called the Thigh Master you can usually find them in anysecond hand store...but you can also use a medium size beach ball and squeeze it together a five count rest for five and repeat....working the out side all you need is a exercise band wrap your ankles together and take steps sideways. You can move the band further up until you feel it working the spot you are aiming for....
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to get that all elusive "thigh gap" that's mostly genetic and some women will never get it, no matter how hard they try.

Otherwise, what others have said. You can't spot reduce. You have to lose fat overall. And your genetics will determine where you will lose fat.
  • charlenestrach
    charlenestrach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My thighs have always been my problem area too. I started using the stairs at work, and doing squats as I microwave my lunches and I am noticing a difference- very little changes in my daily routine, but it is paying off!