What happens after your gallbladder is gone?!

Options

Replies

• s_light
    s_light Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 6 years ago and it did change how I had to eat. I can't eat most tomato based foods, pizza, spaghetti, etc. and I also can't eat chocolate without getting sick either.

I have a friend though that had he's gallbladder removed and he can't grapes.

It affects everyone differently.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My best friend, her sister, her mum and her auntie had theirs out and have had NO problems.

I have however had quite a lot of trouble digesting food. If I have a raw vegetable salad I get terrible pains, and I struggle to digest a lot of "healthy foods" and I have developed IBS following my removal. I cant eat unhealthy food as they make me feel like poo as well, especially dairy.

However, protein works amazing for me. Chicken, steak, pork, lamb, eggs, all of it (besides dairy) digests perfectly and makes me feel good.

It will 100% affect people differently.
  • butterfly1445
    butterfly1445 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the possibility of having mine out soon, so I am glad you posted this and had so many responses. I am very nervous about it especially since I still don't know if it is happening yet. Getting the HIDA test in about two weeks.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last summer. The surgery is super simple, and I was at karate just a week later, no problems.

The only real change in my diet is my stomach can't handle peanut butter. *grumble* My friend can't handle creamy salad dressings after having his out. But overall, I don't know anyone who's really had to change much.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Saving this to read, I'm getting mine out in about a month. I've heard mixed things, both my family doctor and the surgeon told me I'd be able to eat normal afterwards, but I'll probably re-introduce fatty foods slowly. And even if it doesn't get along with you right away your body may just need some time to adjust. For me, a lot of people in my family have had theirs out so it seems likely it's hereditary, but I'm sure my diet had a large contribution.

I was told the reason they take it out and don't just dissolve/break up the stones is because you'll just form new ones and you'd have to have a very strict diet. For now I'm just trying (not so successfully) to watch my fat intake. I've definitely noticed when it's really high I'm more likely to have an attack and they've progressively gotten worse so now I'm trying to be a bit more careful. I'm a bit worried about once it's gone, I'm hoping I can eat normal again but some people can't, most seem to be able to but everyone's different.

ETA: I don't know if maybe my weight loss has maybe contributed to me getting more stones or having the attacks as well, but I started getting the attacks around when I started losing weight but I guess there's not much to do about that and I'll probably never know for sure, but it's a good incentive to lose slowly.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed May 13, 2011. Everyone's eating patterns have to change in their own way. Fatty items are a problem for most, but some can't handle pork, or spicy food, or even lettuce. Personally, I think it is beneficial to try things and see how they sit on your stomach. For quite some time, I felt that what hurt me had no rhyme or reason, so I ate what I wanted. (I also used this to justify eating junk that I shouldn't have been putting into my body anyway, at least not on a regular basis.) In the last 3 months of changing my lifestyle, I have realized that an overload of fats (by fat I mean fried foods, not cheeses or foods rich in good fats) really messes with my stomach and causes me to run to the bathroom. I have also had some incidents that I had no idea what the cause was. Just be aware of where a bathroom is, and don't be shy about having to use it. Do your best to make all around healthy decisions, and be mindful of if anything in particular causes you an adverse reaction.

Good luck! You will get it figured out!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I will totally agree w/ the previous post though.... The worst part for me was the gas trapped in my body. My shoulder hurt so bad and it hurt to breathe. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you experience it. lol. That lasted about 2 days though and then I was ok. The surgery and incisions itself were no biggie.

I had this also, I was very thankfully that they warned me of this or I would have freaked out and thought I had some other problem.

Oddly, I did not have this problem at all with the gallbladder surgery, but I did with my tubal ligation. It was truly horrendous, like an ice pick sticking me in the lung every time I lay on my side for weeks. I think my gall bladder surgeon was better and more conscientious and took the time to squeeze out as much gas as possible. It made a huge difference.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I will totally agree w/ the previous post though.... The worst part for me was the gas trapped in my body. My shoulder hurt so bad and it hurt to breathe. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you experience it. lol. That lasted about 2 days though and then I was ok. The surgery and incisions itself were no biggie.

I had this also, I was very thankfully that they warned me of this or I would have freaked out and thought I had some other problem.

I had this as well! My right shoulder ached for about a week following the surgery. Thank goodness my mom (who took care of me post-op) had read the pamphlets cover to cover and knew that this was a common side effect.

I had mine out in August of last year (2013), I've lost 30 pounds since my operation, no more difficult than I lost the 10ish before surgery. I was careful in the few months post-op to limit fatty foods, and gradually have reintroduced them. The only time that I have felt sick that I attribute to lack of gallbladder was a road-trip weekend with some friends where we ate a lot of fried and otherwise incredibly unhealthy foods.
  • mkghbrad
    mkghbrad Posts: 20
    Options
    I had my gallbaldder removed in 2003 and have no problems with any fatty or spicy foods. Like other replies I have gained and lost wieght over the years but I contribute that to bad diet and lack of exercise rather than the surgery.

One thing I can't have any more though (and I miss it more than you can know) is a glass of wine!!!

the foods and drinks that are now off my list post-surgery are the more acidic ones - red wine went first but I was OK with white, a year or so later I couldn't even handle white wine but a glass of cider on a nice summers day was delicious, then cider jumped on the "no-no" bandwagon...grr.... I just get really bad pains as though the gall baldder and stone is still there.

For anyone out there now worried about me and my teetotal lifestyle, I can still drink vodka without any after effects. the problem is that it isn't socially acceptable to order a vodka whilst out on a midweek lunch with the girls, or to share a bottle with OH on a Friday after a hard week at work.

Too many fresh tomatoes don't sit well either, but funnily I miss them less!!! :-)
  • quelyd
    quelyd Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh and I will add..the WORST part about the recovery was the air as said above that they put in you. I got a pocket trapped in my shoulder. That was the worst part pain. Not the actual surgery pain.

Thanks for this!!! I have been feeling it on my right shoulder and was worried about it.
  • quelyd
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!!! I am one week post-op now and just yesterday I felt dizzy just by staying on my feet for a period of time (while changing my dressings). I have sore throat and have coughing spells when I am about to sleep at night. Anyone else had this? I also have lost 7 pounds since the surgery.

Another question though, for you sushi lovers out there, how are you tolerating it? I am not really a beef or pork person so I can live without that. One of my big worries is not to be able to eat my sushi and sashimi again! :P
  • quelyd
    Options
    Also, when did you start working out?
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My fiancee had hers out...you will find certain foods will go right through you..mostly the fattier ones.....so the goods news is it will keep you away from them...the bads news is you have to figure out which ones bother you .... She will can still have bacon once and a while but any deep fried foods bother her ...fries etc ....eating out if they use certain oils etc....

The getting sick part is just running to the bathroom ....
  • sc003ro
    Options
    You will be fine with sushi
  • sc003ro
    Options
    You will get this from time to time for up to a year ..then it goes away
  • sc003ro
    Options
    Oh and I will add..the WORST part about the recovery was the air as said above that they put in you. I got a pocket trapped in my shoulder. That was the worst part pain. Not the actual surgery pain.

Thanks for this!!! I have been feeling it on my right shoulder and was worried about it.

Younwill get this for up to a year ...kristen did ...then it stops
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 7 weeks ago. My doctor told me I could eat anything I wanted after the first day. I did just that. Although I retained about 10 extra lbs of water weight after surgery, it fell off after about 3 weeks. I haven't had any problems losing weight since then.

The reason most people gain weight after gallbladder surgery is because their eating was limited by pain. That limitation goes away after surgery and they eat more. Having your gallbladder removed doesn't directly cause weight gain. If anything, it would cause a loss because of a reduced ability to digest fat. The fat would end up in the toilet instead of being used for energy.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Also, when did you start working out?

That will be a very individual thing. Is your surgery laproscopic (tiny incisions to stick instruments through, instead of opening you up)? The recovery from that takes a lot less time, but you still have to be conscious of those little incisions under your ribs. Let pain be your guide. Walking should be ok after a couple of weeks, but anything that will put tension on your abs should wait until you have zero pain there.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I only have to watch really greasy foods. They sit for a long time it seems and I feel ill. Other than that most foods are fine. It's been 2 years for me now
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    My good friend had his out with emergency surgery. Like others said, he had to be careful for about 3 months and is pretty much back to normal eating. On a plus side, his liquor bill has gone down because he is now a "lightweight" when it comes to "holding his liquor" :drinker: