Fatigue

Options
Hey!

I am having trouble with fatigue throughout the day. I have energy in the morning when I wake up (I get at least 8 hrs of sleep a night), but by the time its 10am, I am so tired. By the time I get off work, I am way too exhausted to even think about working out. Please check my diary and see if maybe something I am eating could be causing me to have low energy. I have been dealing with this for a while and don't know what else to do! My dr did tell me I have low vitamin D, so I have been taking supplements to help with that (havent been taking them as often as I should, but am going to start back.) I know I don't drink enough water, so part of it could also be dehydration. I am going to start drinking more water, too! Also, when I DO workout, I have to take an energy pill before just to have energy to get through an hour workout. I typically try to eat 1200 cals or less, but think I should prob up my cals.

Any feedback would be helpful! thanks :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eating 1200 or less would be my guess..esp if you workout...

I did that once...I thought I was dying....dizzy, lethargic, no energy and almost dropped the 100lb barbell on my face.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Agree.....

1200 or less would be my first guess. It isn't right for everyone and you have to understand the signs when your body is begging for more fuel.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to eat so little? You are exercising and not eating back any of your exercise calories. 1200 calories is a very low amount to start and to not eat back some of those exercise calories is asking for trouble. You only have 5lbs left to lose and should be eating more food. If you are tracking in MFP then set your activity level correctly and your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 lbs.
  • mrsroddy28
    Options
    I normally am not exercising at all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I normally am not exercising at all.

eating 1200 calories or less a day I can see why you couldn't.

Try upping your calories slowly (100 a day for a week) and see if that helps...then do it again next week...

If you are still feeling this after 2-3 weeks and you are getting lots of sleep and water visit your doctor and get blood work done...but my first guess would be food..or lack of it.
  • michele0101
    Options
    I used to be extremely tired everyday too. As a teenager, I would come home, eat, do homework, and sleep. This continued until about my late 30s and just mysteriously stopped. I never found out what was causing it. My oldest daughter has to have a lot of sleep too...Blood work never showed anything for either of us.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You only have 5 pounds to lose right? Your deficit seems extreme for that. The less weight you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be and the slower your weight loss should go (to avoid losing lean body mass).
  • GinaLivinLaKetoLoco
    GinaLivinLaKetoLoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need some salt.. I highly recommend a book called Keto Adaptation by Maria Emmerich. The book will change your life. I have never had so much energy since following her plan even when I was a kid. I'm 53 now and have been eating "Maria's way" for a few months now and have truly honest never felt better in my life!!.. All my sinus issues, headaches, fatigue, all of which I had since I was a kid are gone, including depression.. I have never felt so happy to be alive..
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    did the doc check your vit b levels?

with similar symptoms, i was found to have pernicious anaemia a few months ago. a series of b12 shots have me feeling much better.
  • white__wizard
    white__wizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eat more and then burn it off doing physical activity. You will sleep better and have way more energy to do other things.

If you suspect it may not be due to diet or activity level, then you need to go see a doctor because no one here can help you as well as seeing a good licensed doctor face to face.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you anemic? I have unresolved iron deficient anemia. I deal with constant fatigue. Some afternoons, I'm so tired it physically hurts to do anything but sleep, which I usually can't do because of life's responsibilities.

When I get the "too tired for anything" feeling, I usually will go on a walk or do something else that requires me to be on my feet. The feeling will pass, but I still feel tired.

One other thing that I'm thinking that may be contributing is my sleep quality. I sleep about 8 hours a night, but I don't know if it's restful sleep. My mattress is old, so maybe a new one will help.

I'm going to the doctor next month to get blood work again, to see if the iron supplements I've been taking are helping.

Good luck!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    georgiegirl get them to check b levels too. sleep disturbance was sorted for me as soon as the b shots were in.... :)

mood is better too
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting blood work done to see if there are any deficiencies. I also agree with working out on 1200 calories. There is NO way I could even do a half-*kitten* workout on that little.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    All I want to do is come home from work and go to bed. So I'm gonna try to do my work out before I go to work. I do a ton of walking and lifting heavy charts all day. If your job is demanding physically it may be you need the rest. Try setting the clock earlier and working out in the morning instead.
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I am having trouble with fatigue throughout the day. I have energy in the morning when I wake up (I get at least 8 hrs of sleep a night), but by the time its 10am, I am so tired. By the time I get off work, I am way too exhausted to even think about working out. Please check my diary and see if maybe something I am eating could be causing me to have low energy. I have been dealing with this for a while and don't know what else to do! My dr did tell me I have low vitamin D, so I have been taking supplements to help with that (havent been taking them as often as I should, but am going to start back.) I know I don't drink enough water, so part of it could also be dehydration. I am going to start drinking more water, too! Also, when I DO workout, I have to take an energy pill before just to have energy to get through an hour workout. I typically try to eat 1200 cals or less, but think I should prob up my cals.

Any feedback would be helpful! thanks :)

If your doctor did labs and found low vitamin D, then that is the most likely culprit. Take your supplements. If over the counter supplements aren't helping, go back to your doctor and ask for a prescription. Make sure you are getting enough calcium as well, as Vit D allows the absorption of Ca.

When it was found that I had low Vit. D, my doc put me on a three month prescription of high dose Vit D2 (taken one time a week), and I was told to take D3/Ca supplement three times a day. I didn't follow the instructions exactly for the D3/Ca supplement. I only took it once a day, but I noticed the prescription of D2 she put me on made an immediate and measurable/observable difference in how I felt and how I was able to function. My blood level for D was very low (well below 20). I felt almost normal after about 6 weeks, and comepletely better after 10. I still completed all the prescription as I could really feel how much better it made me.

So follow your doc's instructions and go from there.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have tried to see if salt intake would/could make a noticeable difference because your intake is often as much as half again of the amount MFP considers reasonable, I did see that blood vessels are can be damaged by to much salt.

Hope you find your answer.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had that same issue, and did 3 things to correct it:

1. Upped my calories. I went from 1200/day to 1400/day. Not a huge increase, but it was enough for me to feel more alert

2. Ate better food and drank tons of water. I don't drink coffee anymore and I rarely have soda because I find they make me thirsty (dehydrated- which makes me sleepy). I drink a TON of water. Having to get up from my desk to pee every 1-2 hours makes it hard to feel sleepy. Also- junk food typically has high sodium, which also makes you dehydrated.

3. Ordered a better mattress. I don't have it yet but waiting for it is SO HARD!! Poor posture, muscle knots, etc can restrict blood flow that will also make you feel sleepy. Without having to go to the extreme of a new mattress, you could try a different desk chair, or just better awareness of posture in general. It's amazing how many people slouch.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I agree with getting blood work done to see if there are any deficiencies. I also agree with working out on 1200 calories. There is NO way I could even do a half-*kitten* workout on that little.

This too. :-)