310 pounds to running a 10K in 6 months

Options
shmulyeng
shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
6 months ago I looked at the scale and saw 310. I finally decided it's time to do something about my weight and general lifestyle. Several of my siblings had lost weight over the months and years before that so I decided to join them on MFP. I started the first day (October 20th 2013) with walking a few miles and logging my food. Over the next few weeks I slowly started running a little as part of my walk. At that point I started C25K. After completing the program I totally switched to running. Having two sisters running full time (thanks Judy and Esti) definitely helped me get over the doubts I had when starting.

Now, 6 months later I finally ran my first 10K race. I came in at a very respectable (at least for me) 57:28. http://goo.gl/lHnGv4

Some numbers:
Weight: 310 - 224
Waist: 52 - 40
Shirt Size: 18.5 - 16.5
T Shirt Size: XXXL - L

The biggest factor that helped me achieve this is the MFP community. I could never have done it without the tools, forums, challenges and support from all the great people here on MFP.

Replies

• divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great job! Fabulous loss!
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    Wow! congrats! Your hard work has definitely paid off
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Very impressive, congratulations!
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your hard work!!! That is sooooo awesome! :)
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!:flowerforyou: I'm working on my 2nd 5k so I appreciate your inspiring story. Hopefully I will be able to do a 10k someday!

Slainte! :drinker:
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    wow, wow and wow!!! that is awesome. what an inspiration you are. I bet you feel fabulous.
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Big Thumbs Up! You give me hope that I can run again- even a few blocks.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You are sooo awesome! This is such a great story! Congrats on your weight loss.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It sounds like you have put in a lot of hard work and it has/is paying off.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Mazeltov!!! Keep it up!
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job !
  • newdayhasbegun
    newdayhasbegun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I love your story. You are inspirational. Very impressed with the 10K. You're an athlete!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wow!! What a change you've made! Way to go!! :)
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    All while devoutly observing the Sabbath I might add. Bravo Shmu!! A great first race. Congrats. :wink:
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the support.

Congratulations. I love your story. You are inspirational. Very impressed with the 10K. You're an athlete!
    I like the label "Athlete". Having been overweight my whole life, sports of any kind have never been my thing.
    All while devoutly observing the Sabbath I might add
    Along with all the great food that comes along with it :)
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Not only is the amount of weight you lost impressive but your 10K time is phenomenal! Congrats, you're officially a MFP ROCKSTAR!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!