Wake - Up!

Options
I need to start working out in the morning, because of some recent changes at my job and other commitments. Any tips? I've heard there are alarms that roll and you have to chase them around your room--but that sounds horrible!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Ah hahaha, that would be awesome. No snooze option. I need one of those. Oh wait, I already do. She's 2 LOL

In all seriousness, though, I workout in the morning and it's just a mental thing for me. I know it's the only time I have so it's either get up and do it or be lazy and fall off the wagon.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do this myself.....but a couple things to try

Sleep in your workout clothes... or at least lay them out. The first thing you see.

Wake up early....in baby steps. 10 minutes early at first (10 Minute Solutions - 10 Minute Trainer would work)... build on this

I use 2 alarms - one is further away & 12 minutes later (I get....1 snooze....no more).
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Get everything ready the night before (or as much as you can)

Don't make excuses.

If you make it a positive part of your morning routine you will begin to enjoy it (almost addicting) especially when you see how great you feel the rest of the day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Biggest issue for me.

Snooze button- to easy to climb back in bed.

and even bigger- I DO NOT GET ENOUGH SLEEP.

If I get enough sleep- I'm willing to get up. You MUST adjust your bed time- you cannot go to bed at 1230 AM and expect to be up at 5 AM. (not regularly anyway)

I find getting up to go do something- and not talking myself out of it are issues- currently I do not work out in the AM- but those are things I must do- get prepared- do the things I need- get enough sleep and then just get up and do some push ups- cold water on the face- whatever it takes.

I'm SO not a morning person so I feel your pain!!!
  • TruOwl
    TruOwl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great tips! Especially, having only one snooze and going to sleep earlier gradually.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:45am on workout days. I get my mind set for it the night before, no question about it, I'm getting up early to workout.

Clothes out the night before, ready to go.
    Workout planned and set up if possible (DVD in, weights/equipment out, or page marked on my laptop).
    Water bottle ready and full.

And I just get up and do it. Within 15 minutes I'm in front of the tv or laptop and beginning my workout. Love being done by 6am. My kid gets up for school, I have breakfast or a post-workout snack, get her off to school, and then I have my whole day ahead of me, and my workout is DONE! It's an awesome feeling.

After a few early mornings I find myself going to bed earlier, which makes getting up easier, too. :tongue: I also hate the feeling of regret later in the day if I don't get up and get it done - that's worse than getting up early, in my opinion!

You can do it!
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    Find something that you're truly going to enjoy doing. I get up MWF at 4:55 to swim. My alarm goes off, and I'm actually looking forward to (usually) swimming. I want to go. If I know I need to get up to run, I won't do it. I make a lot of excuses, but I just won't. Also, having someone to whom you're accountable makes a difference, even if it's someone you don't know (like someone here). I find that, if I state here that I'm going to run 5 miles, I'm not going to quit after 4. Good luck.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? I use a program called Sleep As Android. (It's for Android phones obviously, but there might be something similar for the iPhone).

It does some pretty trick sleep tracking, but the feature you could use is the alarm. First off, it's a gentle alarm. Ocean sounds, birds, other things. But the feature that might help you is that you can program it to require you to scan a CAPTCHA code that you can print out and tape to your bathroom mirror, kitchen cabinet, or whatever. You HAVE to get up and scan the code to get the alarm to shut off.

It does cost some money to unlock some features, but it wasn't much, as I recall.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I go in to work 1 1/2 hours early and do my power walk there! there are no distractions, climate controlled, get my tunes and take off down a hall. (6 rounds -3miles in my bldg.) also every hall has surveillance cameras and security. for me this is a win win situation...and there is no excuse for me to not walk every day (no too hot/too cold). the other benefit is to have coffee and be settled with super alertness with endorphin rush!!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to wake up early and go swimming but didn't make it. :sad: Usually I can get up and go, even if I am later then I want to be, however I neglected to get to bed on time

so now I did not get my swim this morning I am also tired since I got so little sleep. :yawn:

I need to work on the not using the snooze.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:45am on workout days. I get my mind set for it the night before, no question about it, I'm getting up early to workout.

Clothes out the night before, ready to go.
    Workout planned and set up if possible (DVD in, weights/equipment out, or page marked on my laptop).
    Water bottle ready and full.

And I just get up and do it. Within 15 minutes I'm in front of the tv or laptop and beginning my workout. Love being done by 6am. My kid gets up for school, I have breakfast or a post-workout snack, get her off to school, and then I have my whole day ahead of me, and my workout is DONE! It's an awesome feeling.

After a few early mornings I find myself going to bed earlier, which makes getting up easier, too. :tongue: I also hate the feeling of regret later in the day if I don't get up and get it done - that's worse than getting up early, in my opinion!

You can do it!

This. I lay everything out and pack my school bags and my gym bag the night before. My furry alarm has been quieter lately which is great because he used to cry at 4, 5, 6 and now he just cuddles my feet and cries with the alarm....He's old and I love him but he sounds like a distressed baby which is sound I can't tune out....

I get up turn on the compy, go down make my omelet, make my lunch (which is mostly made, all I need to do is throw the sandwich together), take my eggs up to my room, watch something for half an hour while I eat (and fend off the cat who wants my eggs and chicken). Then I get dressed and head to the gym. No coffee till work at 10. Sometimes I even put my stuff in the car the night before, but generally not my backpack since it has the laptop.

ETA: I get up at 6:45, you ma'am are a champ for getting up before 5.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    There are some fun alarm apps for smartphones that make you do a puzzle or something in order to turn the alarm off. I don't use it because it pisses me off, haha. I'd rather just set my usual 4 alarms at 4 different times & hit snooze for an hour. BUT it might work for you. The app I used to have was called "I can't wake up!" I think.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? I use a program called Sleep As Android. (It's for Android phones obviously, but there might be something similar for the iPhone).

It does some pretty trick sleep tracking, but the feature you could use is the alarm. First off, it's a gentle alarm. Ocean sounds, birds, other things. But the feature that might help you is that you can program it to require you to scan a CAPTCHA code that you can print out and tape to your bathroom mirror, kitchen cabinet, or whatever. You HAVE to get up and scan the code to get the alarm to shut off.

It does cost some money to unlock some features, but it wasn't much, as I recall.

I think I need this in my life. Seriously- I am the worlds WORST waker uper!!!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Up at 5AM every weekday morning, workout or not. No workout = extra caffeinated beverage of my choice. Good idea for the alarm clock - put it on the other side of the room. You'll wake up on you way to turn it off!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I wish. My MA classes aren't even close to being open. My DH is my spotter. The gym does not get up as early as he does either. Oh well, as long as it gets done.