Calories burnt in brisk Walk

Options
Does anyone know how to calculate calories burnt if I walk (very brisk pace) for 20 minutes. I don't have fitbit or any such device yet. I am planning to get one soon. Also, I am not sure about what pace ("x" mph) I walked. All I can say its very brisk pace with long strides and very fast, if you know what I mean. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just go to the exercise portion of this website. But you'd need to estimate what brisk is to you... 3mph, 3.5? 4?
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Apps like runkeeper and mapmywalk are great for that. They don't require wifi or internet connection and they track your route, pace, distance and calories burned amongst other stuff just through your phone alone. Even better is that you can link it directly to myfitnesspal and it logs it automatically.

For me a 20 minute brisk walk burns about 80 calories.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    There are some "walking" websites with calculators that can estimate it for you. It depends on your age, weight, pace, etc, I tracked a mile in my car, then walked it and timed myself, that can give you a rough idea of your speed. Good luck!
  • Lisacare
    Lisacare Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is app for your phone called map my walk. it will gps your walk for you and estimate your pace. It also syncs with My fittness and automatically adds your walk with calories burned.
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just for kicks, I did track my calories burned comparing my speed, using both my fitbit and my heart rate monitor last year and again last month.

Pretty much, no matter what speed I go, I burn about 90 calories per mile. If I go faster, I burn the calories faster and have time to do more, but going faster without continuing for a longer time doesn't make much difference for me.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If you know how many miles (or fraction of a mile) you walked you can do the math and estimate your speed. For example, if I can walk 3 miles in one hour, my pace is averaging 3 mph. If I walk 1.5 miles in a half hour, or one mile in 20 minutes, same thing, 3 mph.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use Walking, 3.0 mph for a brisk walk. There is one for Walking 3.5 mph, and more options at a faster past. You may want to invest in a cheap pedometer. They really are not expensive. Go to Walmart or Target. That will help you to be more accurate when you enter your cardio.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bit of effort but go to Google maps and put in your starting location and your end location (assuming you traveled a linear path), it should tell you the distance between the two. Secondly, search Google for "walking speed calculator", it will ask you to input your distance and time covered, then calculates the average speed which you can then re-use for other times you walk that same pace. Mot perfect, not 100%, but until you get your fitbit, it'll do. c:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of info here:

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

A couple things to try....they have phone apps for mapping runs (walks) - these will give you distance. With time & distance you can get to MPH. The faster you walk, the more you burn. You could also drive your

A pedometer is a good investment. Just seeing the steps everyday may encourage you to move more.

Sometimes I use music to keep me on pace.......Once you determine your pace, you can put in your minutes per mile.....this gives you songs at your speed.

http://jog.fm/
  • SunshineNo1
    SunshineNo1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.