Am I the only one who hates water ??

Options

Replies

• lynlen
    lynlen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how you can hate water! Are you saying you don't like the taste (non taste) or you don't like what is does to your body??
  • katatoniczka
    Options
    I've lost almost all the weight I needed to lose without caring about my water intake. I shifted from soda to water, but I drink more tea than water itself. I do drink water (sometimes I squeeze in some lemon juice to make it taste better) but I've never cared about "8 glasses a day" and everything's alright
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Honestly I cannot fathom not liking water!!! What do you do when you're thirsty? You're bloated from not drinking enough water, water isn't the cause of your bloat. You need to retrain your brain because naturally that is all our body wants to hydrate. Try ice water, lemon water.. Sorry I'm not much help.

This. Water tastes like nothing, it literally has no flavor, how can anyone hate it? Does not compute.

People dislike it compared to drinking other things

It has no flavour and isn't enjoyable to me as such. I will drink it to quench my thirst but there are thousands of drinks I prefer to water

What does not compute to me is why you would chose to drink water when there are so many nicer tasting drinks out there?

The answer of course is the health benefits of water over something like orange juice. Isn't it just like saying you don't understand why someone would prefer the taste of a pizza over a cucumber?
  • wriri7_x
    wriri7_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hate water ( I know I shouldn't) but for 1 year I was on medication which I had to take every day on a empty stomach with water and for the next hour I could not eat or drink anything except water. So now I associate that horrid tasting medicine with water so refrain from drinking it.

But before that I liked water. Lol.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand how you can hate water! Are you saying you don't like the taste (non taste) or you don't like what is does to your body??

Don't like the non taste. Much prefer other drinks.
    I'm pretty sure that nobody would dislike what it does to their bodies as I haven't ever heard of water in normal amounts doing any harm to anyone
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes better to me than an ice cold bottle of water.

If I don't want plain water, I add lemon. I love lemon water more than plain water. If I don't have access to lemons, I ALWAYS have a pack of true lemon to add in...tastes the same & no calories.
  • caj45
    caj45 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have 2 bottles on my kitchen bench which I sip from everyday. My goal is to empty them, but I usually do it very gradually otherwise I hear it swishing around in my stomach if I drink it all at once.
  • Lara883
    Lara883 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you hate water, don't drink it. It's not a secret magic trick for losing weight. I'm fairly certain you drink something when you're thirsty, be it milk, tea, coffee, soda pop, Kool-Aid, etc..

I drink water for 2 reasons:
    1. it's free
    2. it has no calories
    This!

I'll add that you just need to watch your urine. If it's not very pale you aren't getting enough water. Also keep in mind that it takes drinking more water to help you lose water you're retaining (bloat). It sounds counterintuitive, I know, but your body will shed the retained water if it knows you are getting enough to maintain it. Too much salt will also cause you to retain water and more water will help to flush the excess sodium from your body.

Don't go overboard and be one of those people who feels like they must drink gallons each day. That much water isn't necessarily good for you on a regular basis. You start flushing important electrolytes if you drink too much water over a short period of time. Every hour, a healthy kidney at rest can excrete about a quart of water so a healthy person can drink water at that rate without a problem. Those with kidney issues should drink less. So should those who are in periods of physical stress, say during an hour long intense spinning class or while running a marathon, because the body attempts to conserve water in those conditions even when sweating copiously.

There's nothing that says you have to drink plain water. Add something to it to flavor it but watch the empty calories. I've found True Citrus and it's a wonderful thing. Little packets of crystallized citrus fruit that equal a wedge of fruit and are completely natural and zero calories. If you feel like you need something sweeter and don't mind artificial sweeteners try Mio or Crystal Light in your water.

Thx , love this !
  • Lara883
    Lara883 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all great understanding people around here :)
    BUT there are some people who need to learn that not the whole world must have the same tastebuds that they do , so please when you don't feel/understand what others are needing help with just don't reply in such a rude way , I just wanted to see how people like me deal with water and thanks to most replies I'm not the only one here that doesn't like water so what?
    Just like everyone is adjusting their lifestyle to this journey , this is one thing that I'm working on , no need to make people feel like they are weird if they don't drink water perfectly !
    Replies like that are what make people hesitate to come and ask for help ...I got great ideas but some disappointment too ...
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Chelsea_Marinos Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I drink as much as possible but don't really like it... So I do the bulk of my water drinking after/during a work out because I am so thirsty that it tastes good! But I do like water with ice as long as its not from the sink- I do not like it when you can taste it! We are just weird-os I think lol my husband doesn't get my dislike either!
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people continue to drown themselves with water. It does not burn fat...
  • rachellemac14
    Options
    I hate it. I find if I have ice on hand and lemon it's bearable. I can't lie though....I would rather drink diet Pepsi or coke. I will drink diet cordial when I want something super sweet...seems to be working so far.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I drink practically no water. I drink coffee, tea, lemonade, an occasional soda. I eat plenty of fruit, which is plenty of hydration. I made my goal weight in 8 months and have maintained for 17 more.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    To the OP (and others who hate water) I wonder if it has to do with the water you're drinking.

As someone who has grown up with really good (mountain spring) water from the tap... I was truly horrified at what other water tasted like (coastal water, well water especially). It was scary gross. Had a smell and everything.

Some was metallic, others bitter, some smelled like chlorine, others like (sulfer) rotten eggs.... I have gotten dehydrated in other parts of the country just based on the fact that I couldn't stomach the water and it literally made me feel ill.

So... maybe you don't hate water. Maybe your water source is no good?

Try filtered and ice cold!
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    I personally don't like it either, and I always have to force myself to drink half a cup, which is not good at all. What I would do is to make my own 0 calories iced tea with the zero sugar and green tea bags with some ice cubes (or put it in the fridge over night). It is very yummy and I actually enjoy drinking it.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    1383096077831_hm2d0t.jpg

Both are mostly water^^^^^^^^^^^^ NOH8
    I'll stick with my aquafina and filtered water, thanks O.o
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts, but try adding a few slices of cucumber and some ice to filtered water. Cucumber makes it taste silkier somehow to me. I drink cucumber water, sometimes with lemon, and water that has been filtered in my Brita filter. You might also try making decaffeinated green tea and drinking that instead. Experiment with adding things like watermelon pieces, strawberries or fresh squeezed orange juice, whatever floats your boat and gets you drink that water. One last suggestion might be to drink fizzy water, club soda or Perrier.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike plain water, too. I didn't hate it, but I just didn't like drinking it. I knew I needed to get more water in my life so I decided to take it slow. I started out using those flavored chemical drink mix things temporarily to get myself to drink more water and then I gradually eased into mild teas then finally plain water - like at first, every other fill up would be plain water...Now, I mostly just drink plain water and it's fine. :drinker:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way . . . I would wake up thirsty in the middle of the night and have a soda before I went back to bed. Now the thought of doing that makes me want to puke. I honestly think it's just a training thing . . . just gradually increase your intake and I'll bet you'll come to like it. I crave water more than soda now and I feel so much better!
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one...I too hate water (just take a look at my water consumption in my food diary!). There are lots of things that are good for you that many people just don't like...so I don't think not liking water is that outrageous.

I have found some homemade flavoured infused water on Pinterest. These are my two favourite:

1. Sassy Water
    http://www.sitnoseckano.com/sassy-water/
    it’s very easy to make: in 2 l water add 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced, 1 lemon, thinly sliced, 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger and around 10 spearmint leaves.
    leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight and in the morning you’ll have a cold and really refreshing drink.

2. Rosemary-Orange Water
    http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/948069/flavored-water-recipes
    8 sprigs fresh rosemary
    4 slices fresh orange
    Ice
    Water

I also drink lots of Herbal Tea. I like Celestial Seasonings "Bengal Spice" herbal tea. It's cinnamony, spicey and tastes sweet so I don't have to add any honey. I tend to stay away from artificial sweetners and flavour additives and I find they are bloating.

Hope you found this post useful,

Danielle

Thank you for sharing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!