1 week..already exhausted!

Options
Hey guys,

So I've been on / off the wagon i.e exercising but then drinking and eating sugar etc.

But now is the most determined I've been...I decided that my day would consist of the following.

wake up - sprint runs 20 mins

eat - muesli for breakfast & protein shake

office work during the day

30 kettle bell work out, followed by dinner (lean chicken, veg and sweet potatoe).

This has been good for a week and I have so much energy..like possibly too much. IIt's a new week and I just feel exhausted and want to drink vodka or something to take the edge off. I've already taken 2 rest days from exercise but I just feel drained and yet, I am so determined to not give up.

Motivation is cracking a bit. Need to not drink.

Replies

• KatieJo722
    KatieJo722 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh I am totally with you! I did great my first week. And then last week started to feel drained and like I "deserved" a drink, a treat, more food, ect. That lasted though this weekend. Today I'm back on track though. But log your calories... if at the end of the day you have some left enjoy that drink! My calories were way under that first week but I got carried away trying to bring them up last week. I'm hoping this week to find the right balance. Good luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    That is why so many people give up at week two. Be sure you're getting enough water and enough food to Fuel your workouts. Keep it up! you can do it!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    th?&id=HN.608035019822074637&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This is why most successful people find a way to incorporate a little of what they love. How long are you going to only eat lean meat and veggies for dinner? I wouldn't last a day like that.
  • kimgriffinapparently
    kimgriffinapparently Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong, I look at the vodka we have and I couldn't bring myself to pour any but all the same, the fact that I was so tempted makes me worry that I won't be so determined next time. I really want this weight loss.

Too much energy - head is buzzing and can't focus - need a drink to take edge off
    exhausted - don't want to work out

I've given myself a little bit of sugar and I am going to crack in to the kettle bells. I've lost 3 stone before, I just want to do this properly. Not the stupid overexercising, little eating way I did before. Think I might just need to trust myself in eating more calories sometimes. Probably why I'm so drained.
  • kimgriffinapparently
    Options
    I really wanted to do it a whole month at least. I was loving it too. This idea of only giving my body a clean diet, no rubbish etc. But then, here I am feeling like I want to actually cry.

Oddly, I've been getting emotional during work outs. Not crying but really feeling like I want to.

I'm a bit of a wierdo!

p.s the photo is of me at my best (2 stone lighter) now how I am now.
  • kapease
    kapease Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, getting off of sugar is hard, and I find what helps the most is to log my food to make sure I am getting enough calories and also to make sure I am getting in the healthy fats, like from nuts, avocados, eggs, etc. Incorporating the right amounts of healthy fats helps me feel more satisfied at mealtime and helps me to avoid the cravings. I learned that cravings come from the brain, not the stomach. It is not my stomach that wants carbs, it is my brain wanting to release the feel-good chemicals like dopamine.
    I have newly recommitted and the last couple of weeks have been very good energy-wise. No afternoon crashes that I need to offset with something sugary.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You would likely be more successful if you didn't try to change everything all at once. Going gung ho your first week WILL leave you tired, probably De-motivated and likely very cranky. Why not just take it a step at a time?

I'd suggest starting with figuring out a proper calorie goal. 1200 is too low for most people especially those who don't have a lot of weight to lose. You should be aiming for no more then .5/lb per week. You should also start weighing your food - your deficit is going to be only about 250/ week which is a tiny amount and easily lost when you don't weigh. Additionally, you need to eat back some of your calories (not all). Exercising hard on an already too small intake without replenishing does not work well for long term success. Get your logging accurate - you have far too many "slices", "packets", spoons & "generic" items right now.

Stop trying to put the horse before the cart so to speak, without an accurate diary you are just making it way harder than it has to be.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    A lot of what you describe sounds like withdrawal to me, especially the craving for vodka. Some people feel that way with serious addictive substances -- nicotine, drugs, etc. -- but many can feel that way with lower level substances like sugar and booze too. For those of us with sweet tooths, I don't think it's uncommon at all. But, if you give it enough time, your tastes will adapt and you'll need a lot less to get that same level of satisfaction as you will have brought your tolerance down. What I do to help with that is to be sure to eat plenty of the good stuff. Cravings are so much more manageable when you're not actually hungry. Cravings + hunger = difficult to combat (at least for me).

Keep up with it and you'll get to the other side! I also find something meditative to be really helpful to calm the mind. Just 5-10 minutes of mindful meditation can go a long way. I also like long walks for this reason too.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Unless you're AA and giving up alcohol, I would personally have a glass before bed as a reward for my effort. If you can do it in moderation then there is no reason to deny yourself.
  • kimgriffinapparently
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

All of your advice is amazing. All of it! Giving me a ton to think about!

I'm not AA but drinking is certainly a vice. Especially at night if I'm stressed and just want the edge off. I know myself that one glass a week would become 2 and then 8. I do have an addictive personality!

Having a lot more fruit, water etc. Generally trying to avoid a lot of processed things. I do feel great but sometimes all the energy at nights is a bit much. Today is different as it's almost like a hangover from all the energy lol.

I actually just sat and tried to fully visualize why I was doing this. It's given me enough to get back up and work out.

I shall be treating myself with a non-alcoholic bath!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I just really needed to speak out about how I was feeling. It's like bloody therapy on here!!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you were drinking a fair amount of alcohol before to take the edge off and suddenly stopped - the antsy feeling at night may certainly be related to stopping that. Give it some time and it will go away. Hang in there!

Even though you are not AA - if that feeling becomes to overwhelming (the antsy/anxiety/hyper energy stuffs) you may get some support for that specifically though AA or on-line support groups. It is not uncommon. The crash this week is also not uncommon.

The bath sounds lovely. Maybe some long walks, meditating, relaxing type activities would work into your overall health plan? There are lots of ways to get at wellness and burning calories is only one. I don't know squat about yoga but sounds like it might be a nice addition too.

Best of luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Too much too fast, I think.

Also, if your profile pic is current, I don't see where you have 16 lbs to lose! Maybe you should just focus on exercising and lifting weights.

And definitely log more accurately...it's impossible to say if you're doing anything wrong because you're not logging much.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling then maybe go for a slower loss, easier to stick to diet, I struggle with the 2lbs per week/1200 kcals so I've reset mine to 1 lb per week/1490 kcals. I figue this way I'm less likely to burn out and fall of the wagon :)

I treat myself to high cocoa content dark chocolate regularly- especially when I'm premenstrual, a few squares is usually about 100kcals and it gives you the stuff you're craving from chocolate. A diet feels less like suffering when you can have chocolate imho ;)

Re exercise, maybe try all sorts of different classes and find out what stuff you enjoy, maybe things like Bokwa, Zumba, Yoga, Pilates etc
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Well how much calories are you getting? Why train twice a day when you are a beginner?Unnecessary! Alcohol and carbonated drinks screws up performance. Never take rest days back to back . Set small goals, for yourself instead of big ones. Have one day in the week to enjoy your favourite drinks and/or foods.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not eating enough. Remember, MFP does not include exercise in its calculation for what you need to lose weight. When you exercise you need to eat more. Also, your goal at MFP may not be correct. If you chose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week", then it is wrong, if your profile pic is you.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not eating enough. Remember, MFP does not include exercise in its calculation for what you need to lose weight. When you exercise you need to eat more. Also, your goal at MFP may not be correct. If you chose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week", then it is wrong, if your profile pic is you.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

This...
  • kimgriffinapparently
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Again, some amazing advice. I do think it was perhaps too much to fast.

The picture is me 2 stone light than I am now. It's an inspirational photo!