improvents in blood suger post weight loss

Options
kempt_ken
kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
I'm just curious if there is anyone here who had was pre-diabetic or was fully type 2 diabetic before weight loss and if your condition improved or changed post weight loss.

There seems to be general acceptance that as little as 10% change in weight can improve those conditions . I'd like ti here how that may have worked for people in practice.

Replies

• englishrose1974
    Options
    I've noticed an improvement in the number of hypos I am getting after just losing a few pounds here - not only that I've found the hypos I do get more tolerable and often slower in progressing. I was borderline diabetic and have PCOS. I do take a low dose of metformin but this change due to weight loss wasn't affected by a change in medication. Hope that helps at all :).
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested to hear this! I was diagnosted with Type II about two weeks ago.

I can say that my husband went from 320 to 260 (he is about 5 foot 11) after his diagnosis and his A1c levels went down drastically and into the "normal" range. He was also having much better readings from his meter. Since that time he has gained 20 lbs back and his meter reflects that.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed type 2 about 2 years ago. Then last year I went on a diet and started working out. I lost close to 30 pounds and my levels were down to normal enough that my Dr. and I were talking about stopping my medication. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and gained the weight back and my levels went up again. I am getting ready to try again, but it definitely makes a difference.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. My last two checkups I was in the high normal range not type II diabetic yet but at risk. so I'm hopping to see that improve when I'm done. I'm shooting for 50 lbs. I've manged 37 so far.

I'm also hoping to no longer need a statin.
  • cellofish
    cellofish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband went from 265 to 220 and was able to stop taking metformin last week! He still wants to lose a bit more but is very happy about stopping his meds! He read that the magic number is 20% of your total body weight.
  • Tuili
    Tuili Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 40 lbs so far. I had been on 2 - 1000mg Metformin and 10 mg Actos per day. I am now down to 1 - 500 mg Metformin and still with the 10 mg Actos. My A1C has improved dramatically, as well as my cholesterol!! I hope to be off that medicine soon as well! Eating healthy coupled with weight loss has a definite impact on type 2 diabetes!
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds in the past 4 months. Starting weight was 275. My fasting glucose has dropped about 50 points. So, yes, it works! I've been type 2 for about 10 years and have controlled it with diet. At my last check up my A1C was 6.2 (before the weight loss). I don't take any meds and I'm actually looking forward to my next A1C.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    These are such encouraging stories! I have just started on my journey but seeing that my dedication to making smart food choices and losing weight can influence my blood sugar in a positive way is super encouraging. One of my biggest challenges right now is working in physical activity.
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 346 to 284 in the last year and still losing.............My A1C went from 6.4 to 5.9. I'm due to have it checked again and I'll bet it's lower than that now. I do not have to take any medication for my blood sugar, although I do take blood pressure medicine and heart meds - BETA blocker.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!