Trying to quit sugar...AUGH!

Options
I am a sugar-aholic! I have no other unhealthy aflictions except that I...LOVE...SUGAR! Not necessarily "carbs", although of course sugar = carbs; but I don't mind the absence of breads, pastas or potatoes...but desserts, oy! I crave it every single day. Chocolate of all kinds, chewey candy (like gummy bears), cakes, cookies...when I'm despearate, I even scrounge for chocolate chips used for baking!

I'm starting to read labels and look for sugar grams on them to keep my sugar grams at about 25 per day. I ate a high fiber/protein cereal for breakfast with soy milk and a nice spinach / vegetable salad with lean protein for lunch - and the salad dressing only had 1 gram of sugar. But now, it is taking every ounce of will power (that I'm not sure I have) to ignore the desire to get a candy bar or eat a pop-tart.

I recently lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for 8 months, but now I'm starting to gain because I have been eating so much sugary foods. What can I eat instead that may help me feel satisfied in place or candy? How do people actually quit sugar? HELP!

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    MFP says that I can have 54 g of sugar per day. Did you change your diary settings to give yourself less for any reason?

Why not have a little every day. Not "low sugar salad dressing" but a little chocolate, 1 serving of gummy bears, etc. Pre-portion your sweets and leave room for them in your daily calories. You'll be happier and you'll feel less deprived/less likely to go overboard because you'll know you can have your treats again the following day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Well...

I quit... i cut all added sugars out for a short period of time.. about 2 weeks.. it's *hard* to beat the cravings. But once you do they will go away. I also get a headache every time I do it. I guess I end up cutting a lot carbs when I do it too. Since I don't buy bread or pasta or anything that has added sugar. I do eat fruit and vegetables and other stuff that has naturally occurring sugar. I do get a headache that lasts for a few days. Once it's gone and the cravings are gone I can add the other stuff back in and still not crave the donuts that I love.

I find the best way for me is to eat a lot of protein. I eat upward of 225g or more per day. Way more then I require but it helps me stay full and resist eating all that garbage.

IMO 25g of sugar is pretty low. 1 piece of fruit will about cover that.. and there is naturally occurring sugar in a lot of other foods as well. It really depends on exactly what your end goal is and what your body requires you to do in order to meet that goal.

This is my meals for today. I do not feel hungry or deprived and even if I did start craving my beloved donuts, I'd be too full to actually eat it.

Breakfast:
    Coffee - black
    Grapefruit - whole

Snack
    Breakfast lasagna (cream cheese pancakes, turkey crumbs, scrambled eggs and cheddar)

Lunch
    Plain Greek yogurt with cut up pineapple
    Homemade chicken and vegetable soup

Snack
    Salad with tuna and feta on it

Dinner:
    Scrambled eggs with chicken and veggies

Dessert:
    Cottage cheese
    Sugar free jam
    tea

Totals:
    Calories: 2,002 protein: 247 Carbs: 151 fat: 50 Fiber 34 Sugar 83 (all naturally occurring sugar)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    but now I'm starting to gain because I have been eating so ...
    ...many calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for 8 months, but now I'm starting to gain because I have been eating so much sugary foods. What can I eat instead that may help me feel satisfied in place or candy? How do people actually quit sugar? HELP!

Try not eating sugar unless you also eat something with fiber or protien. These slow digestion and prevent the blood sugar spikes that can lead you to want to eat more and more and more sugar. Cocoa roast almonds are my favorite, though I'm also very fond of peanut butter mixed with maple syrup.

Also, choosing a certain time of day to have a sweet treat might help. Then if you get a craving earlier you don't have to tell yourself "I can't have that", you can just think "I'll have that later after dinner" (or whatever time you choose.

Or, you can make it a reward. I can have candy if I walk for 2 miles, or do 100 jumping jacks, or <whatever>, today. I've read on MFP the saying "don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog", but I do it anyway. And so far, I'm still human. Just a little fitter and happier because I exercise for treats.

These may or may not work for you, but they help me.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    ...many calories.

This.

There is no valid reason to deprive yourself of sweets completely. I don't know about you but the instant something is put off limits for myself or anyone else I know, that's exactly what's craved. Fit it into your calorie allotment and enjoy it. No, you can't eat candy, cookies, and cakes all day and expect to not gain weight but you can easily have something every day and lose weight.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    ...many calories.

This is the crux of the matter.. but if you're like me eating sugar creates sugar cravings. not eating sugar equals no sugar cravings. Once I get it out of my system I don't crave it, I don't want it. It can be on my counter in my kitchen and I won't touch it.

So, if that's you. Go all in cold turkey and don't give up. At least that's the only thing that works for me.

2 weeks and i'm good to go :)
  • Jeslefisch
    Jeslefisch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love sweets myself. I save them for after dinner.. I cut up pineapple and I buy a bar of dark chocolate. I'll have two or three pieces of chocolate and eat it with my pineapple! It's really sweet and it's totally satisfying. I bought donut holes from trader Joe's and man were they good. 250 calories for 4! So I limited myself to two! Yes leave room for your sweets in you diary and use appropriate portions.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Keto. Cured my sugar craving after a couple weeks. Sure a gram slips in here and there, but otherwise, been off of sugar since January.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am a sugar-aholic! I have no other unhealthy aflictions except that I...LOVE...SUGAR! Not necessarily "carbs", although of course sugar = carbs; but I don't mind the absence of breads, pastas or potatoes...but desserts, oy! I crave it every single day. Chocolate of all kinds, chewey candy (like gummy bears), cakes, cookies...when I'm despearate, I even scrounge for chocolate chips used for baking!

I'm starting to read labels and look for sugar grams on them to keep my sugar grams at about 25 per day. I ate a high fiber/protein cereal for breakfast with soy milk and a nice spinach / vegetable salad with lean protein for lunch - and the salad dressing only had 1 gram of sugar. But now, it is taking every ounce of will power (that I'm not sure I have) to ignore the desire to get a candy bar or eat a pop-tart.

What's worked to keep my sugar and salt and fat and anything else urges under control is intermittent fasting. I used to always try to have a "healthY" breakfast and snacks and all that jazz and I never could seem to control myself. I read about IF on here last year and it just seemed right to me. I don't tend to *want* breakfast. I now usually don't eat until after noon and usually am done eating by 8-10 p.m. I'm female so I don't go for a super long fasting stretch, but I've found this really works for me. When I do eat, I eat mostly "real" foods - fruits, veggies, dairy products, meats, etc. I tend to stay away from the "high fiber, high protein, etc." type of stuff that has added ingredients to up the fiber and/or protein because I've found that it usually doesn't taste great and it leaves me feeling like I need something better.

What has also helped, I think, is that I don't worry about fat count. My carb/fat/protein ratios are set at 40/30/30 and I'm often way over on fat and protein. When I have a spinach salad, I usually have cheese on it as well as full fat dressing or a fattier cut of meat. Just eating a salad that's light on protein and/or fat sets me up for serious urges to over eat later on. I eat a good sized lunch, snack if I need it, and a fairly large dinner and save several hundred calories for the evening when I might want something. Sometime's it's 1/2 slice of cheesecake or a cupcake and sometimes it's cheese and crackers and sometimes it might even be a salad - whatever I want. I found that knowing that I *could* have my cake every night if I wanted to took away the *need* to have it all the time.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Keto. Cured my sugar craving after a couple weeks. Sure a gram slips in here and there, but otherwise, been off of sugar since January.

What is Keto?
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, it's good to see I'm not alone. I work out 4 to 5 times per week and am gaining weight...that feels horrible! I know that sugars = calories and I tend to think that I may not be the best at keeping myself reigned in, so maybe trying to get off of it as much as possible is the better way for me to go. I think sugar is like an addiction, I swear!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ...many calories.

This is the crux of the matter.. but if you're like me eating sugar creates sugar cravings. not eating sugar equals no sugar cravings. Once I get it out of my system I don't crave it, I don't want it. It can be on my counter in my kitchen and I won't touch it.

So, if that's you. Go all in cold turkey and don't give up. At least that's the only thing that works for me.

What did you eat for two weeks??
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    ...many calories.

High protein, high fiber foods. vegetables and low sugar fruits. Limited cheese (almost no cheese really), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free jam.. there are a lot of options out there. - ps i posted what i am eating today above.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

What is Keto?

Keto is eating almost zero net carbs.. It's difficult to obtain and difficult to sustain. Net carbs are carbs minus sugar fiber and alcohol. it works well for some people though. I have some recipes that qualify as keto recipes and are very yummy :) I jut can't go no carb. I'd be Ms crabby pants. lol
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ...many calories.

High protein, high fiber foods. vegetables and low sugar fruits. Limited cheese (almost no cheese really), greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free jam.. there are a lot of options out there. - ps i posted what i am eating today above.

I thought you said no sugar....there is sugar in fruits and vegetables and well most things we eat!
  • tiffanilaughalot
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. Mainly Starbucks. I could ask for sugar-free in my drinks, but I don't want to have fake sugar added because that's just as bad.

The more natural sugars you have in your diet, the less likely you are to crave the unhealthy sugars such as in desserts. Fruits have plenty of natural sugar that should cure your cravings! And if it doesn't, try dipping fruits in melted dark chocolate. YUM
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    ...many calories.

I thought you said no sugar....there is sugar in fruits and vegetables and well most things we eat!

SO predictable. LOL

Initially I said no *added* sugar. (forgot the word added in my second post, my bad) My diet, My choice. I don't need your approval,. OP asked a question, I answered. End of discussion.

:drinker:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    End of discussion.

I highly doubt that. :wink:
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I found that knowing that I *could* have my cake every night if I wanted to took away the *need* to have it all the time.

Just in to say that this ^^ made the biggest difference for me! If I "can't" have something, then, oh my god, do I want that thing every minute of every day. But if I utilize just a slight language change and say it's not that I can't have something, it's that I'm choosing not to, then it puts me in control of the situation instead of being this powerless victim to temptation/cravings/emotional eating. If I know I'm full and don't need to eat dessert (even though I want to and, many times, have eaten dessert way past being full!), I'll say to myself, "Man, I really want that dessert but I'm full so I'm choosing not to eat it. If I still want dessert later, I can have some in a couple hours (or after the next meal or tomorrow or whenever)." Once I get through that, I'll find that by the time a couple hours or tomorrow or whenever rolls around, I'm usually not tempted anymore--but if I still want dessert then, I'll have it! :)

Also, I know that this is tough for a lot of people to do but my best friend sets aside 200 cals for dessert every day and portions out a couple pieces of chocolate or a serving of ice cream and that's worked for her!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

When given the choice to either -

1) give up desserts forever
    or
    2) learn to enjoy them in moderation

I'll take door number 2.