Question for Runners that Run on Treadmills

Options
What speed do you run at? I want to start some walk/jog workouts and I would love to know what speed is considered a jog. Right now if I'm walking at 4mph it's a pretty fast walk if that helps you gauge where I am. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am curious about what others do too!:flowerforyou:
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My running is ussually around 7 and a good jog is around 5.5-6
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not the best person to ask because I'm not actually a runner, but I've heard that 5.0-6.0 is usually the jogging range.
  • feel_the_love
    Options
    My long distance jog is about 6.0 and my run is 7.5 =)
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    A gentle run for me is 5 mph (usually break into this pace after walking for my warm-up). Then 6mph is the speed that I call comfortable and use for longer running. Then 6 mph is the speed I do to push myself and can maintain for about 10 mins. Then 7 mph is the speed I do when I'm doing intervals and its flat out and can only maintain for 60 secs at a time.

I don't call myself a fast runner and tend to average a pace of about 11 minutes to run a mile.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I run between 8.3 and 9.2 at a 1 to 2 percent incline on the treadmill for eight miles, but I've been running since I was 15, and now I'm 40. If you can run somewhere between 6.0 and 7.0, you're doing just fine. Shoot for that, and then go from there.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You'll get all sorts of replies to this, many of which are subjective and depend on your own fitness/ability.

I subscribe to the theory that walking is defined as at least one foot on the ground at all times, so everything else is running, of which jogging is the first stage - so whatever pace gets you to the point where both feet are off the ground at the same time is jogging.

For me 6 or 7 kph (around 4 mph) is a fairly brisk walk but I find I have to 'jog' at around 9 or 10 kph to feel comfortable with the stride etc. I currently have increased my sustainable running pace to around 12 kph (a 25 minute 5K pace) but to real runners that would be a jog.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. There fitness levels are differnt. I have clients that jog at 4-5 mph but I can walk at that and have to jog at 7-10 mph. SO again it depends on your fitness level. If your going for intervals like walk/jog do bursts at a higher speed to get the heart rate up and then walk to recover and repeat.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    its different for everyone.

I've only been running since October. I run on the treadmill somewhere between 6.7 - 7.5 depending on how I'm feeling.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well, 6.0 is a 10 min mile (6 mph) that is a decent clip for a new runner so I would say anything bewteen 5.0( 12 min mile ) and 6.0 is a good place to start. When I get comfy doing a speed I will try 2 minutes at the next level and then 2 minutes at the next then back down...so start at 5.0...do that for your time..do that a few times...then when that feels good do 5.0 for 5 min warm up (or 10 min warm up if you plan to spend a lot of time on treadmill) then do 2 minutes at 5.1...then 2 minutes at 5.2 then 2 minutes back at 5.1 then back to 5.0 for the duration...or keep playing with the number to keep it fresh. As that starts to feel good then push to 5.3 and 5.4 for a minute or two...when that feels good start at 5.2 and do the same thing...etc etc

Edit to add..I have run my whole life but just recently, through my little system up there run between 7.0-8.2...but I ran a marathon this last year and have built up the running conditioning to work on my speed. When I started a year seriously running again after having a bunch of kids I started in the 5.8-6.5 range
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    thanks for all your replies!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Love the avatar of Jacob, btw.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Love the avatar of Jacob, btw.

Thanks! I think he is so adorable and sexy! Oh to be young and unmarried! LOL
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well it depends how tall you are, how heavy you are, your stride etc etc. An example would be that I am 5'9" and running for me is in the 5mph range and higher but my aunt is only 5'2" and she is running in the 4mph range. There is no magic speed that makes you a runner or a jogger, basically if you can't walk that fast and you have to start picking up the pace then you have started jogging.

I would suggest using a training program like couch to 5k, you can find it at coolrunnings.com or just google it. It is a great beginners program and is designed to get you from the couch to running a 5k in about 9 weeks. Or you can visit runnersworld.com, active.com, coolrunning.com just to name a few and choose a program that you think fits your goals better.
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I run between 6.0 and 6.5 mph. Right now, I can only maintain that speed for 3-4 miles. If I want to run longer, I need to slow down to about 5.5 mph.