Help! Desperately want to get back on track!

Options
He all! Well, here I go again :( I have been off the wagon for quite some time now, and I DESPERATELY want to get back on track. For some reason, I just cannot seem to find the motivation to do it. I was doing well a couple of years ago, back in 2012. My father then took sick and healthy eating habits/exercising took a back seat for caring for him. I so vividly remember a "friend" saying "forget about the diet, focus on your family" and I went with it. My father passed away in April of 2013. Again, it was my license to eat! I have gained all of the weight I had lost, and then some. I feel so ashamed and sad! I'm now on high blood pressure medication. You'd think that would be the kick in the pants that I needed, but nope, still not doing anything about it. I must sound like a real downer, and feeling sorry for myself. Just need some kind words and support. Please help!

Replies

• mom2cmb2x
    mom2cmb2x Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It happens! There is nothing you can do about it now but start over, and thankfully we can do that. I lost 40 pounds a few years ago then gained back to more than I was to start off with. You can do this! Just one day at a time. Friend me if you would like and I would be happy to encourage you. I have been back on track since January 5 of this year. Pam
  • commkrista3
    commkrista3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Read through the success stories.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It's a decision.
    You either really want it or not.
    I don't mean this to come across rudely, but it really is that easy.

For years I wanted to lose weight, but I didn't want it bad enough, until I had my light bulb moment. When I decided I really wanted it and nothing would stop me, I did it.
  • stuart1960
    stuart1960 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I fell off the wagon so to speak months ago and have only just resolved to get back on track, went to the gym for first time tonight for months as well, luckily I have my wife who also wants to lose weight to pair up with, keep at it.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    take it one day at a time, its the only way that you'll get it off and keep it that way. i can definitely relate to using food as a crutch but as hard as it is priorities need to be set. you can do it, set realistic goals and soon you will hardly recognize the old you
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It's a decision.

For years I wanted to lose weight, but I didn't want it bad enough, until I had my light bulb moment. When I decided I really wanted it and nothing would stop me, I did it.

Same with me.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    It's a decision.

Same with me.
    couldnt have said it better myself. i tried in the past to lose weight but always lacked the proper motivation. now my mind is set and i know, without a single doubt in my mind, that this time i will reach my goal. all i need is time
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in your shoes. It is almost more difficult the second (third, fourth... ;) time around, because of the self deprecation we put ourselves through over having gained it back. Every time I have lost the weight, something comes along. ("Life" , as we call it. ;) And, I have decided that I have to stop making excuses for eating and not exercising because of "situations" that arise. If that's my excuse, I'll NEVER lose it and keep it off. There will always be something that comes along to drag us down and cause us to delve right back into old habits. I can't assure you that my mind is right....I've said it was before, and then a week later, was off the wagon, again. But, I hope that by my posting this, it will not only make a difference for YOU, but possibly for myself, as well. :) Good luck...you can do this. You've proven it once, you will prove it again. :drinker:
  • MARTIC0058
    MARTIC0058 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If it were easy everyone would be healthy! you just have to pick yourself up and dust yourself off. I too have a similar story. In 2010 I started my journey and lost around 70lbs and did really good for about 2 years and then I gained about 40 back. And I started my journey again in July 2013 and going strong! I hope to remain on this healthy road. I have to tell myself that this is not a diet it is a lifestyle! And my results are only a product of the work I put in, good or bad. I have a health and fitness team on facebook if your interested in some extra support and motivation, please let me know! You can do this! you have done it once before, the hardest part is getting started, so get started!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The words that helped me the most had to come from myself, and those words were: Nobody can do it for you. Until I grasped that, it was too easy to make excuses. It is what keeps me going.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Oy! Trust me, I understand!! I started on this path in April 2011. Last year on Good Friday, I had skin removal surgery and had a hard time recovering. My dad had been suffering from cancer, and he passed away in December, 2014. Between the recovery and the stuff with my dad, like you said = license to eat.

I've seen a lot of posts around here where people said they've lost their mojo, lost their "badass", and stuff, and I'm one of them!! I so want it back!!

And sad part is, it's going to require me to be uncomfortable. Most people aren't really fond of the idea of being uncomfortable. It's so easy and so much fun to throw caution to the wind with food.

We can wish all we want to that we would like to be like those "size one civilians" who don't have to watch what they eat and log every little morsel that passes through their lips. Well, "be like them" sometimes gets confused with wanting to "punch their lights out" when they "forgot" to eat lunch!! LOL

Regardless...if I'm going to lose weight, it's up to me to do it. Nobody else.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You know what you need to do. So why aren't you doing it? As in, what is the mental block holding you back this time? Figure out what that is.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    a wise man once told me, without failure you cannot appreciate success.

you are back in the game, start eating better and moving more =)
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Welcome back - being back is the first step :smile:

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am here every day and happy to give support and motivation to those in need :flowerforyou:
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back. I am in the same pair of shoes as you are.......Please feel free to add me is you want to.
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to it.
    The key is planning for me keeps me motivated, I plan my meals by doin this I look forward to it and remain focused
    I enjoy cooking so I have books and healthy food mags for ideas keeping it different.
    I have a small group of mfp friends I follow they help
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You have to get into the habits you had before, and make a plan for when "life" gets in the way again, so you don't have to make another post like this one. I had some bad stuff going on at home last year, and I didn't deal with it well, so I gained some weight back. I started over from the beginning, doing everything I did when I first started, to get myself back on track. Pre-logging helps me a lot. Good luck, OP. It's all on you to get on it, we're just here to lend support.

ETA this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound rude but if you're so desperate then you'll make the changes required to become healthier. It's a conscious decision and you need to make a commitment to yourself to put in the time and effort to be successful. It doesn't matter what I say; you're the one who will have to put in the work day in and day out. There will be ups and downs but if you want to make the changes then you'll ride it out. This is a new way of living, so no matter what life throws your way you should be able to maintain your new habits (assuming you formed healthy long term sustainable habits).

Figure out what is causing you to turn to food. Is it for comfort? Are you an emotional eater? Etc. I dealt head on with my problems with food (I'm an emotional eater) so that the past few weeks when I've been dealing with a lot of what life throws at me I haven't turned to food as a coping mechanism. It's hard but I'm more aware of my triggers.

Start by making small sustainable changes and work your way up :). You're taking the right first step in realizing that something needs to change - now go out and make the necessary changes!