help! need a healthy way of making cake frosting/icing

Options
So i am baking a cake for my partners bday! no not a beautiful chocolate one with all that bad stuff that taste kinda good. I found a good recipe which has good ingredients in there nutriciously: heres the link

http://paleomg.com/simple-blueberry-lemon-birthday-cake/

only problem is. its hard to find coconut butter or coconut cream concentrate in the UK which is the recipe's icing..
and also i have one day and no time to go searching or ordering online.

If anyone out there knows any recipes for a healthier version of frosting! as much as id love to have some cream cheese on there its probably best I avoid it! :)

thankyou

Replies

• The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Do a meringue? If you add enough sweetness it can be a nice light icing.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Do a meringue? If you add enough sweetness it can be a nice light icing.

^^Betty Crocker 2.0. Listen to her advice. She knows her sweets. ;-)
  • amberlinajo
    amberlinajo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can use low fat cool whip! Its sweet, delicious, low in calories and will cover a lot of area!
  • skorenfeld123
    skorenfeld123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check out http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ -- she has lots of great healthier dessert options!
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You could also make a glaze with 100% fruit juice and powdered sugar...maybe squeeze some fresh lemons and whisk the powdered sugar into it. Just don't count the carbs.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    A meringue is a great option and I fully support that idea.

Any whipped cream will due if it's applied right before serving... the air will take care of most of the calories. You can even make it yourself with whatever extracts you want by simply... whipping some cream.

I also came in here to suggest cream cheese frosting. Use "light" cream cheese (neufatchel cheese or however it is spelled), thin it out with some skim milk, and add sugar/sweetener to taste. It beats butter, nutritionally speaking, and comes out such a pretty white color that would take well to any food coloring.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    oh boy

Maybe cauliflower puree, sugar, heavy cream and whip it in a stand mixer or whipping siphon?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    To be honest I would just make a regular frosting and fit it into my calories for the day :ohwell:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    tagged :flowerforyou:
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    To be honest I would just make a regular frosting and fit it into my calories for the day :ohwell:
    ^^ what she said
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    nonfat greek yogurt (strained of all liquid) plus brown sugar and vanilla
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I think the first thing to do would be to define healthy. This recipe looks as if it is mainly healthy because the icing avoids the trans fats found in frosting and the saturated fats found in butter.

I think the recommendation already made to do whipping cream works well - can still sweeten with honey if you made your own, easy to do with any sort of electric mixer.

If you wanted to take a step or two away from the healthy aspect, you could just use confectioners/powedered sugar and milk to make a sugar icing glaze that looks like what is shown in the photo.

Vanilla extract is optional for both the cream and glaze.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cool whip and sugar free instant vanilla pudding, small can drained crushed pineapple.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A good cake doesn't need frosting.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like to use jello, it gives the cake character (jello is pretty healthy by the way, great for joints). I mostly use regular but you could opt for sugar free for a very low calorie option, or make your own with fruit juice and gelatin.

If you have one of those baking pans with the removable bottom bake the cake in it. It needs to be big enough not to rise above the rim. Have the cake cool and it will deflate a bit. Cover cake with a layer of thinly sliced fruit of your choice.

Make half the jello, and wait for it cool just a little bit but not enough to get clumpy - if it's too hot it may get absorbed into the cake. Pour it over the fruits inside the baking form and put it in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Some of the fruit may float but it's okay because after 10 minutes you will be applying another layer of jello and the fruit will be held in the first layer and it won't float. Looks and tastes great!