any other new mommies out there?

Options
hi, my name is Heather and I have a two year old daughter and a 6 week old son. I'm having a really rough time losing the baby weight this time around....when i was pg with my daughter, i gained 25 lbs and lost it all by the time she was a week old....this time I gained 30 lbs and have only lost about 10 so far. all i can wear right now is maternity clothes. i'm going to be MOH in my friend's wedding in 7 weeks, and i'm starting to panic! think i worked out all through my pregnancy-literally went to the gym on my due date, so this is really frustrating. just looking for support and advice!

Replies

• FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    Options
    I have a 5 month old daughter and know exactly what you are going through. Give yourself time the baby is only 6 weeks old... everything I have read says that it takes about 9 months for your body to return to its normal state.. so you were really lucky the first time. I bet it has a lot to do with stress and sleep. You can't be getting too much sleep with two little ones. Stress and sleep have a lot to do with weight loss. Keep it up and stick with it, it'll come off soon and congrats on the new little one.
  • britgirl82
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby!

I have a 5m old daughter and the weight has come off (I'm currently less than I was when I fell pregnant but am trying to lose just a few more pounds!). I lost a lot in the first few weeks and then stalled, but it recently started decreasing again.

I think this is down to a number of things:

1) I didn't gain much whilst pregnant. I gained enough but not excessive amounts: didn't eat for two, exercised etc.

2) I'm breastfeeding. This burns calories (although it's given me huge boobs which I reckon increase my weight by a few pounds!).

3) I'm exercising lots - but remember that I gave birth 5m ago so am properly healed - you only gave birth 6 weeks ago so don't rush into anything (particularly not if you had a c-section).

4) I'm eating lots: using MFP has shown me that the way to lose weight is to eat. Weird but true. I'm allowed about 2500 calories a day just to avoid getting into starvation mode (it's great!). So make sure that you're eating enough (and remember to drink lots).

I agree that lack of sleep and stress can retain weight, and also that you need to give yourself time. 6 weeks is nothing. Be healthy, active and enjoy your baby, and it will happen: just probably not as quickly as you'd like..

xx
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of us here :-) Don't forget that if you are nursing, you shouldn't try to lose more than a pound a week, and that your body is still healing from having that baby :-)