I've lost 41lbs in 2 months... Why don't I feel more proud??

Options
For the first time in my adult life I have been tracking my food, eating MUCH healthier, and exercising regularly. It has been 2 months now and I have never lasted for more than a few days at a time before. Seems to be working for me since I have lost a total of 41 pounds as of this morning. My question is... Why am I not jumping up and down for joy and patting myself on the back?? Is it because I want to lose another 54 still? I try to remember the saying "Progress Not Perfection" but I think my mind may be stuck on perfection... Is anyone else struggling with this problem? Orrrr are you all going to tell me to shut up and be happy?? Lol

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a big difference.

Are you stalled? I've heard (and there are probably threads) that sometimes when people reach their goal they feel sad.

Maybe you should re-evaluate what's driving you or pick a challenge that sounds fun.

good luck
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I demand you do the HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY DANCE you accomplished a lot be happy and keep up the good work
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    not gonna tell you to shut up and be happy, can't force anyone to be happy

but

you should be proud of what you have accomplished so far and what you will accomplish in the future.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you cannot be proud of yourself, let others be proud of you. I don't know you from Adam but I am very proud of your progress. 41 pounds is FANTASTIC! You are nearly half way to your goal. As with all good things, progress takes time. Take time out to celebrate the small victories and the big pay off will be there before you know it. Keep up the great work - your body will thank you for it!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Probably because you are losing too fast and lacking energy. I would opt for a slower loss... a couple of pounds per week and maintain a much higher energy level. 20 pounds per month is not healthy and you will be losing muscle mass at this rate. Best wishes on continuing your journey. :-)
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Wait...did you just say 41 pounds in 2 months??? No wonder you're not jumping for joy...you're probably lucky if you can even lift your arm to lightly high 5 yourself. Slow down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Probably because you are losing too fast and lacking energy. I would opt for a slower loss... a couple of pounds per week and maintain a much higher energy level. 20 pounds per month is not healthy and you will be losing muscle mass at this rate. Best wishes on continuing your journey. :-)

This!
  • dawnreid2012
    dawnreid2012 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^

Im worried that you are losing too much weight too fast. 41 pounds in 2 months is ALOT!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I agree with this. It's hard to feel happy when you're at that much of a deficit. You're probably not only lacking nutrients, but you're missing out on all the social aspects of eating. Enjoying a meal with friends, family. A really good drink after a hard work week. People say that food shouldn't be a source of happiness, but a lot of what we do as humans is eat. There should be at least some joy in it on occasion.

If it's about the process, go a bit slower. I bet you'll see a pretty rapid upswing in your mood, and you'll feel prouder because you'll be doing it in a way that you can keep up and which isn't making you miserable the rest of the time. Good job on losing the weight, and in such a short time! Just keep the bigger picture in mind too.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    shut up and be happy?? Lol

Shut up and be happy. J/K

What everyone else is saying, slow down, now... start living a bit.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you active at all? The reason I ask is because it sounds to me you are completely focused on just a number on a scale.
    Have you thought about registering for a race? Even if it's an in timed event like a color run. Training for an event will take your mind off the scale and give you something new to focus on. Set a short term goal and a longer term goal. The emotion I've felt after finishing some of my best races was wayne intense than just seeing a number on a scale. Best of luck with your fitness goals. Larry
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome. I say post some pictures of the old you and the new you. A lot of times we can't be proud because our self image is so damaged. We are struggle but keep pressing.
  • KLindberg70
    Options
    Wow! What an amazing accomplshment! I think we ten to get stuck in the overwhelming part of the whole weight loss. It is so
    important to stop and acknowledge how far you have come. Where were
    you 6 months ago? Have you rewarded yourself? Take a look in the mirror,
    not the scale and list all the awesome things about yourself!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Some good advice and ideas for you on here already, but I wanted to take a different tack.

First of all, what you're experiencing here is quite common among people who have a lot of weight to lose. So you are not alone! So many of us believed for so long that if we could *just* lose this weight then we'll be happy, we'll be healed, we'll finally be okay. But while getting the weight off our frames is *nice*...it does NOT fix us...that is, it does not fix us on the inside. Our heads and our hearts need just as much "work" as our bodies do.

I cannot tell you the number of testimonials I have read on here, and heard in real life, from people who finally reached their goal weight but still could not stand the sight of themselves. They could not celebrate their victory. They still saw themselves as "fat", "imperfect", "a failure" and so on and so forth.

This is because they fell for the lie that weight gain, weight loss, your relationship with food, etc. are merely a physical issue. If their bodies were fixer-upper houses, for example, they would have spruced up the bushes, cleaned out the gutters, mowed the lawn, painted the shutters...and yet the inside of the house was crumbling from within. Or, if their bodies were a gushing wound, it's like they put a band-aid over it, when they needed stitches, sutures, and antibiotics to heal.

You have already done amazing work on your body so far. You say you have 54 lbs to go. I say, "good". :) This means you can start seeking out help and answers to work on your insides, your emotional world, your mental world, while you lose the rest of this weight. This way, your insides will match your outsides, and when you get to your goal weight you are going to throw a party for yourself because you'll be so proud and happy. You'll admire yourself. You'll realize you're not perfect but you'll love yourself anyway. This is an amazing opportunity to change the trajectory of your LIFE. :)

Start looking for articles, links, books, etc. on body image, self esteem, body dysmorphia, emotional eating, and all sorts of topics related to weight loss and the mental change that needs to take place with it. Journal about your progress. Praise yourself (or learn to). If you must, perhaps even talk to a counselor for guidance or emotional exercises to do that will help you.

You don't have to be apathetic. You can be happy. It's just going to take some work. Best of luck to you.
  • trishnottrisha
    trishnottrisha Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone!!! Feeling a little better already. I know 41 sounds like a lot but I lost about 16 in the first week just by cutting out soda and my nightly eating binges. Guessing it was a lot of water weight.. I am not obsessed with the number, it is all about looks for me, I honestly don't care what my ending number is. 95 total was more of a guess for my goal... I will work on concentrating on being happy in the now and not getting overwhelmed by the total amount I want to lose... btw I did just post before and current comparison pics on my profile. Thanks again, appreciate the feedback! :)
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You lost 41lbs in 2 months? Did I read that right? If you lost 41lbs sensibly and I miss read your post, congratulations! If you lost 41lbs by starvation I hope you get some help!
  • trishnottrisha
    trishnottrisha Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Brandolinn11, the first person to tell me that I am not alone in these feelings! I am going to take to heart your words and really do the research you suggested. Truly, thank you!!! <3
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Some good advice and ideas for you on here already, but I wanted to take a different tack.

First of all, what you're experiencing here is quite common among people who have a lot of weight to lose. So you are not alone! So many of us believed for so long that if we could *just* lose this weight then we'll be happy, we'll be healed, we'll finally be okay. But while getting the weight off our frames is *nice*...it does NOT fix us...that is, it does not fix us on the inside. Our heads and our hearts need just as much "work" as our bodies do.

I cannot tell you the number of testimonials I have read on here, and heard in real life, from people who finally reached their goal weight but still could not stand the sight of themselves. They could not celebrate their victory. They still saw themselves as "fat", "imperfect", "a failure" and so on and so forth.

This is because they fell for the lie that weight gain, weight loss, your relationship with food, etc. are merely a physical issue. If their bodies were fixer-upper houses, for example, they would have spruced up the bushes, cleaned out the gutters, mowed the lawn, painted the shutters...and yet the inside of the house was crumbling from within. Or, if their bodies were a gushing wound, it's like they put a band-aid over it, when they needed stitches, sutures, and antibiotics to heal.

You have already done amazing work on your body so far. You say you have 54 lbs to go. I say, "good". :) This means you can start seeking out help and answers to work on your insides, your emotional world, your mental world, while you lose the rest of this weight. This way, your insides will match your outsides, and when you get to your goal weight you are going to throw a party for yourself because you'll be so proud and happy. You'll admire yourself. You'll realize you're not perfect but you'll love yourself anyway. This is an amazing opportunity to change the trajectory of your LIFE. :)

Start looking for articles, links, books, etc. on body image, self esteem, body dysmorphia, emotional eating, and all sorts of topics related to weight loss and the mental change that needs to take place with it. Journal about your progress. Praise yourself (or learn to). If you must, perhaps even talk to a counselor for guidance or emotional exercises to do that will help you.

You don't have to be apathetic. You can be happy. It's just going to take some work. Best of luck to you.

THIS! This lady had insight.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone!!! Feeling a little better already. I know 41 sounds like a lot but I lost about 16 in the first week just by cutting out soda and my nightly eating binges. Guessing it was a lot of water weight.. I am not obsessed with the number, it is all about looks for me, I honestly don't care what my ending number is. 95 total was more of a guess for my goal... I will work on concentrating on being happy in the now and not getting overwhelmed by the total amount I want to lose... btw I did just post before and current comparison pics on my profile. Thanks again, appreciate the feedback! :)

16 in your first week is absolutely unheard of. 16 in a month is a lot let alone 7 days
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Congrats... i too get a bit blue hear and there... there was a time in my life i weighed over 300pds i am 170 and i still want more.. i struggle everyday.. some days are good and others i fight my own thoughts..

xxoxoxooxoxo