Totally stuck!

Options
Hi,
I've been having some trouble in my weight-loss pursuit and I thought maybe I would see if anyone in the community has been having any similar problems or has any advice. I will admit, I don’t log my food in every day. Logging it in when I have time does help me know about how many calories I am eating because I eat a lot of the same meals and snacks daily.
Since this time last year I have had a 20-25lb weight gain. I am 5’2.5’’ and about 150lbs. About a year ago my weight range was about 125lbs-133lbs From about September through November I had been exercising less and eating out more due to a stressful work audit (and new relationship- lots of dates!) I think that is when most of the weight gain occurred.
In December I made a concerted effort to get back to my old exercise and diet routine. I felt better, but I didn’t see much in the way in fat loss. About 2 months ago I decided I had really had it, and I needed to get serious. Since then I have staying true to a stricter diet and working out like a mad woman. I am frustrated because I still have not lost ANY weight in the past 2 months.
The changes I have made to my diet and exercise routines have been somewhat drastic, so I feel pretty discouraged. A few months ago it wouldn’t be unusual for me to have a scone for breakfast, a sub for lunch, and chips for snack and pizza for dinner all in one day. Lately, I have staying true to a diet rich with fruits and veggies, lean proteins, porbiotics, almost no refined carbs. I would say maybe once a week I will cheat and eat maybe pizza, but in a reasonable portion. I work out for 1-2 hours 6 to 7 days a week, alternating cardio and strength building hot vinyasa yoga. I get a good amount of sleep. How can I weigh the same as I did when I was pigging out?
What is happening to me?! I have gained and lost weight in the past, and I have never been this stuck. I even went to the doctor and had my thyroid, cholesterol , lipids ect. checked and I am healthy. Could this be age? I am 26.
If you read this, thank you! I thought I would try and reach out to others in this community.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you don't consistently log.

That was in your 2nd sentence.

How do you know each day you are eating the exact same thing? do you weigh it out at the start of the week and put it away in bags and containers?
  • arijo7
    arijo7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I can see why that would be so frustrating! I would suggest trying to log everything onto MFP and make sure you are staying within your calorie limit. You seem to exercise a lot, so another problem could be that you're not eating enough. Technically, your net calories shouldn't get below 1200, or you could go into starvation mode and your body will store fat instead of burn it. Your best bet would be to really track your calories and make sure you aren't going over or under. Best of luck!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself - you aren't really logging. You say you know you are on the right track, but it sounds like you are eating too much. Try weighing and logging everything you eat accurately and see what happens. Sounds like medical issues have been ruled out. Even if you are eating "healthier" foods, if you are overeating them, you are going to gain weight.
  • tinnyhinny
    tinnyhinny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Logging your food is a real eye opener! Start there and yes, you can do this!:smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's been two months. Clearly estimating your food intake isn't working. Why don't you try logging exactly for a couple of weeks. At the very least you'll have two weeks worth of data to help figure out what's going on.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Even healthy foods in the wrong quantity can create weight maintenance or even gain instead of loss. I've had days where I ate insanely healthy but over my calorie needs and I had to exercise to hit my goal for the day. Example: cottage cheese with fresh fruit breakfast, low sodium lentil soup and a handful of cheese for lunch, apple slices in peanut butter snack, veggie burger cut up on top of a salad with light dressing. Did you know all of that can easily be 1700 calories?

Logging has gotten me where I am. Eyeballing had gotten me where I was. It's harder to take off the weight than it is to put it on.
  • Aminicole1129
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I have been logging my calories! I do have one question for those of you who have had success... My workour today gave me over 600 calories extra! How important is it to meet your calorie goal when they add SO much for what for me is a regular work out? I feel like I would have to ear more than I am hungry for and I fear it will throw me off my diet for the days I don't exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I have been logging my calories! I do have one question for those of you who have had success... My workour today gave me over 600 calories extra! How important is it to meet your calorie goal when they add SO much for what for me is a regular work out? I feel like I would have to ear more than I am hungry for and I fear it will throw me off my diet for the days I don't exercise.

What kind of exercise are you doing and how are you estimating your burn? MFP and gym machines are notorious for overestimating certain activities. If you're using either I'd aim to eat back about 50-75% of those. If you're using a heart rate monitor be sure that it's set-up properly and that you're only using it for steady state cardio activities.

If you have a hard time eating enough, look at adding in some calorie dense foods like nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil, butter, full fat dairy, etc. These can boost your calories really quickly without adding tons of extra food to your day.
  • Aminicole1129
    Options
    I think you are right, they definatley overestimate the calories. Thanks for your support.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You seem to exercise a lot, so another problem could be that you're not eating enough. Technically, your net calories shouldn't get below 1200, or you could go into starvation mode and your body will store fat instead of burn it.

No. Eating less will not make your body store fat!