Reflections on a 200lb weight loss

Options
Hello everyone,

I figured it would be healthy to kind of decompress after hitting my goal this week. Just as an overview, I weighted 440lbs (I'm 6 foot 6) on Feb. 1st of 2013 and began my diet then. Today, I weighed in at 240lb's, so I lost 200lb's right at 13 1/2 months. I didn't have weight loss surgery and decided to do it after fracturing two vertebrae in my back after being struck by a car and the embarrassment of driving 45 mins to a MRI location that had a table that would hold me I decided enough was enough. (P.S - I wrote this a few weeks ago so some of the reflections are a few weeks old after I've hit my goal)

Below are reflections from my weight loss.

1) I was very disciplined, I ate the same foods sometimes for a meal for 60-90 days in a row if it was working, I truly ate to live vs lived to eat, I ate at my calorie goal and if I had one cheat day per month it was an off month. If you want to lose as much weight as I did, as quickly as I did, then discipline is absolute key in my opinion.

2) I saw a nutritionist monthly, I almost used her as a therapist of sorts, it also helped me be accountable to my weight loss, I wanted to perform well and didn't want the embarrassment of not losing when weighing in there weekly. One thing I would definitely suggest, is make sure its a registered dietician that's affiliated with your local hospital, someone reputable, not one of those weight loss clinic things. Getting meal plans that worked with the foods I liked helped tremendously, I eat out probably 90% of my meals so understanding how to analyze my meals etc helped. I would highly recommend finding a good nutritionist if you're serious about losing weight long term.

3) Early on I was working out however I started plateauing badly after I started so I stopped and focused purely on my diet and eating right. In hindsight, I should have done both at the same time even if it meant losing weight slower. Admittedly, I have zero patience and am compulsive, had I seen the forest through the trees I probably could have saved some muscle and toned up some loose skin in the process.

4) Understand you're losing weight for your health and not for appearances with your clothes off.. I look good with clothes on but with clothes off? Not so much.. LOL. Luckily for me I've been married for 17 years and intend to stay that way until I die. It is a bit of a shock to see the skin sometimes but eh.. it's the cross I bare and is a good reminder to focus on continued healthy eating. I'm sure as I transition to fitness it will help a bit but don't be discouraged and focus on the positive aspects.

5) Admittedly I've developed an eating disorder, I crave cheat days but when I do have a cheat day I beat myself up over it for days and make myself miserable ruining the beauty of food. I'm working on this currently, but its very hard for me to "enjoy" food any more, I almost look at it as the enemy.. Not good but a work in progress.

6) I wasn't happy unless I was dropping 12+lbs per month, I started pulling back on calories below my goal of 2lb's per week target to increase weight loss, but never below 1300-1400 etc (see eating disorder issues) In hindsight, and my advice to anyone else is to focus on losing weight monthly, make it a journey not a race like I did. Although I'm happy to have lost the weight I feel like I created some additional issues in the process because I didn't enjoy the journey.

7) It feels great to lose weight, have people notice and to actually not shop in big and tall etc. It's incredibly uplifting to feel good about yourself.. I know this weight loss journey is tough but it will be worth it if you focus and hit your goals.

8) If your spouse also happens to be overweight and you're doing better than her or she is struggling and your not then you've got to ensure that you're not imposing on her. Admittedly I was on my wife's case because she as disciplined as me or making the progress I was, it caused tension between us. Its not that I was on her case from a looks perspective (I wasn't) I love her regardless, I just wanted her to feel the same joys I did. In hindsight I just needed to be supportive and be there when she needed me.

9) I went from a 5XLT shirt to a 1XLT, size 54 pants to a size 34.

10) You will be "lost" as you approach your goal. I won't say I've lost my drive, I haven't.. it's just that after working so hard at something and then achieving it is a humbling experience. My plan is to replace the weight loss drive with cardio/weights but I've honestly felt like I lost a piece of me (no pun intended) now that I have hit my goal.

I'm sure there is more but I can't think of anything that pops out. I wrote this just more as a confessional reflection than anything. If one person finds it helpful then I'm happy. I'd also be glad to answer any questions any one may have, feel free to respond and I'll do my best. I'm by no means an expert but did manage to knock of the weight!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    WHOOOOOOOOOOT! CONGRATS!

I'm going to be honest, I didn't read all of it because I'm high as a kite on pain meds, but that is AMAZING!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wow you have done so well! I can relate to a lot of what you have reflected on including feeling guilty for "cheat" meals and for feeling like a piece of me is missing. I am also dealing with trying to love myself, loose skin and all, but it can be tough sometimes. Thank you for sharing your journey :flowerforyou:
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I came across your forum post and just had to say CONGRATS!!!!!!! That is so amazing, very well done!!!!!!!!!!
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the honesty and the insight. I know it will be helpful to me to know when I get to my goal. Way too many posts in these forums that don't include the doubts and regrets from their journeys.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I like that you pointed out the positives, but also admitted the pitfalls and were honest about things you would have done differently! Great job on the weight loss. I hope you continue to be successful with your new goals!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I think you did what you had to do and it must have been right at that time. Now that you have lost the weight, you still can work on fitness and getting stronger if you like. Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    It's amazing and wonderful what you have done, and what you have learned from it. I lost over 116 lbs. in 9 months a few years ago, and learned many of the same things you did. I have since gained most of it back, and am now on the journey again, with about 37-38lbs. to go until goal. Thank you for reminding me of some of the things I have forgotten about. I will need to remember all of that when I get to goal. This time around I have a plan in place for when I get there, but I also know these pre-made plans almost always need some tweaking! I really do appreciate your honesty, and it's so good to know there are others out there going through the same things and coming to many of the same conclusions. I remember saying that all the extra skin I had was a reminder to myself of what I had done so that I wouldn't do it again - obviously it takes more than that! Another thing when you get to maintenance that is different is you stay looking the same, so you no longer have anyone patting you on the back after awhile, and they start to look at you like you're a nut case when you are being very careful about what you eat so that you don't gain it back. So...eventually you begin to give in, and think you don't have to be so careful anymore, and that people (especially women!) might stop giving you evil looks if you'll eat "normal" at a big dinner like everyone else is. I both hated and loved that people treated me so different after losing weight. Men always treated me MUCH better, and women (for the most part) treated me as an enemy. What a wake-up that was to me! It angered me, yet when caught off guard and a door was held opened for me or whatever (when it never would have been before) it was kind of nice. When I would get compliments or looks though, part of me wanted to say "Hey! Why didn't you treat me like that before!!!?" Or when women would treat me horribly, I wanted to say "What happened? I'm the same person you used to like!" It really does a number on your head, and shows you who the true friends are! It is for sure a journey, and full of both wonderful and not so wonderful things, but in the end if you can keep that weight off, you know you're better off in so many ways. You just realize it does NOT fix everything! Thanks again for your post - don't let anything drag you down and stay healthy!!!
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I like that you pointed out the positives, but also admitted the pitfalls and were honest about things you would have done differently! Great job on the weight loss. I hope you continue to be successful with your new goals!

I love the honesty of this post. Thanks so much for sharing your journey!
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    best. reply. ever.
  • Jdavism
    Jdavism Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • YogaFitnessGuru
    Options
    I know everybody's already said this, but with a result like that, you can't have too many congratulations. Awesome, well done.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss, OP! Best of luck to both you and your wife, and especially I hope that you're able to renew a healthy relationship with food.
  • mommasboy3
    mommasboy3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are simply amazing in my book! If I could lose just half of that I would be so excited. You truly encourage me to keep on track. Thanks and Great work! :drinker: