Please help me with my fussy eating habits!

Options
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a topic on an alternate account regarding my difficulty in gaining weight and I received a lot of helpful feedback and responses. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask or post this, but after the all the helpful advice I received last time, I'm hoping I could get some assistance with this problem I have had for years.

My diet is EXTREMELY limited. I'm 20 years old weighing in at 128lbs and standing at 5ft 7" and I am the last person you should ask to go out with if you plan on eating out, because you can instantly scrap Indian cuisine, Chinese, Sushi, or any other exotic restaurants off the list because I will just not manage. My diet is extremely poor, and is limited to foods like Chicken & other meats, Pasta, Pizza, Burgers (homemade from real beef, not the fast food type). Oh, and by Pizza and Burgers, I mean the plainest they can get - Margaritas and Cheeseburgers, maybe with the exception of some chicken on them.

If you've read correctly, you'd notice that I didn't add any Fruits or Vegetables. That's right, nothing. And it's been like that for over 15 years. I don't eat bananas, I don't eat apples, I don't eat peppers, aubergines, lettuce, and so on and so forth. I just simply can't. I'm not repulsed by the sight of them, but I'm not sure if I'm "afraid" of the texture or the taste. Funnily enough, I'd eat everything until I was around 4, but ever since then - nothing. In the past 3 years I realized that this can be very problematic, so I've tried to add a bit of vitamins and nutrients into my body by drinking Multivitamin drinks like Tropicana, as well as resorting to Vitamin B Supplements. But I know it's not enough, and the only way I'm going to get my diet fixed is by having proper meals containing fruit and vegetables. Sure, I suppose that fries are potatoes and Pizza has tomatoes, but I highly doubt that's enough.I do think that this is an eating problem since I can drink orange juice no problem at all, but it'd take quite a lot of effort for me to actually eat an orange - the same applies to Multivitamin drinks.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm extremely desperate for help regarding this matter - in fact, I was planning on seeking a Psychologist to help me understand why I can't and won't eat my 5-a-day that I've skipped for over 10 years, but I thought perhaps I can get some online help before taking it to a next step.
I'm starting to get really concerned about this as I've heard that a poor diet like this can often lead to a lot of illnesses and even early deaths, so I want to try solve this problem as soon as possible.

What can I do to overcome this fear/fussiness? Please don't tell me to "just eat it" or "don't say you don't like it if you never tried it", because it's so much easier said than done...

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a topic on an alternate account regarding my difficulty in gaining weight and I received a lot of helpful feedback and responses. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask or post this, but after the all the helpful advice I received last time, I'm hoping I could get some assistance with this problem I have had for years.

My diet is EXTREMELY limited. I'm 20 years old weighing in at 128lbs and standing at 5ft 7" and I am the last person you should ask to go out with if you plan on eating out, because you can instantly scrap Indian cuisine, Chinese, Sushi, or any other exotic restaurants off the list because I will just not manage. My diet is extremely poor, and is limited to foods like Chicken & other meats, Pasta, Pizza, Burgers (homemade from real beef, not the fast food type). Oh, and by Pizza and Burgers, I mean the plainest they can get - Margaritas and Cheeseburgers, maybe with the exception of some chicken on them.

If you've read correctly, you'd notice that I didn't add any Fruits or Vegetables. That's right, nothing. And it's been like that for over 15 years. I don't eat bananas, I don't eat apples, I don't eat peppers, aubergines, lettuce, and so on and so forth. I just simply can't. I'm not repulsed by the sight of them, but I'm not sure if I'm "afraid" of the texture or the taste. Funnily enough, I'd eat everything until I was around 4, but ever since then - nothing. In the past 3 years I realized that this can be very problematic, so I've tried to add a bit of vitamins and nutrients into my body by drinking Multivitamin drinks like Tropicana, as well as resorting to Vitamin B Supplements. But I know it's not enough, and the only way I'm going to get my diet fixed is by having proper meals containing fruit and vegetables. Sure, I suppose that fries are potatoes and Pizza has tomatoes, but I highly doubt that's enough.I do think that this is an eating problem since I can drink orange juice no problem at all, but it'd take quite a lot of effort for me to actually eat an orange - the same applies to Multivitamin drinks.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm extremely desperate for help regarding this matter - in fact, I was planning on seeking a Psychologist to help me understand why I can't and won't eat my 5-a-day that I've skipped for over 10 years, but I thought perhaps I can get some online help before taking it to a next step.
    I'm starting to get really concerned about this as I've heard that a poor diet like this can often lead to a lot of illnesses and even early deaths, so I want to try solve this problem as soon as possible.

What can I do to overcome this fear/fussiness? Please don't tell me to "just eat it" or "don't say you don't like it if you never tried it", because it's so much easier said than done...

This sounds familiar…. last time it was somebody who was not old enough to be on MFP.
  • Pyrofrost
    Options
    This sounds familiar…. last time it was somebody who was not old enough to be on MFP.

Next time I need an uninformative reply I'll be sure to ask for one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Not sure what over advice people can give then?

I doubt you have tried EVERY single vegetable and fruit that exists, so how do you know you don't like any of them? Especially when you can have them cooked in so many different ways or raw?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that you have read hte conditions of joining MFP and are therefore an adult.

For children, there is advice that a "new food" should be presented and tried at least 10-15 times before decinding that they do not like them. Adults are more hard headed than children, and if you're preparing your own meals rathert han having them made for you it might take even longer, maybe aim to eat someting 30 times before making your mind up.

So i would advise you, if you really want to widen your intake, to cook with and eat a wider variety of food, and try something out over a longer period (at least a couple of months) and cooked in lots of different ways before deciding.

I now eat beetroot and avocado, two things I decided as a child that i didn't like.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Next time I need an uninformative reply I'll be sure to ask for one.

LOL.

Well, you pretty much shut down any advice you might have gotten by saying "don't tell me to just eat it" or "say you don't like it if you've never tried it." Not sure what kind of tips you are expecting to get...

Except for the obvious...which is....

Grow up, put your big boy pants on and eat some fruits and vegetables. Or don't. It's up to you.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you considered therapy? I'm not joking. It sounds like a pretty significant, life-impairing disorder. I don't know if it's based in a compulsion, aversion, or what, but you need help. You won't find adequate advice on a public forum.

ETA: On a different account? It is against the TOS to have multiple accounts on MyFitnessPal. Also, you say you're 20, but your profile says 19.
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is a mental issue that you just have to work past. I cannot eat fish or any kind of seafood. The very idea of it and I start gagging. It is mental. You have to open your mind to the idea of liking them.

As for veggies, honestly, you just need to try them. Try them raw, mixed in with other foods, cooked in different ways. My husband used to tell me that he didn't like any fruits or vegetables. I started cooking them in different ways. Like grilling and roasting. I took the sauces off of some and added them onto others. Broccoli, olive oil, salt and pepper and then roast at a high temp until the tops start to blacken. cut an apple in half, microwave with a small amount of water, sprinkle on cinnamon. Tastes like dessert!

The only other advice I have is to make a list of everything you like to eat. No matter how small. Then start adding to your list with things that aren't too off the list. Like you like burgers...will you eat a taco? If so what about a burrito? Not too far from a taco! Do you like spaghetti? If so, how about lasagna w/ spinach. Meatloaf? Add cheddar cheese and salsa to it. Or Italian cheeses and spinach.

I am a former picky eater. And my son is Autistic and he now eats well over a hundred different things because we took baby steps to get him there.
    And if all else fails, google those meals that use the hidden veggies. That is what my sister does. She purees veggies and adds it to food. As long as she can't see it she can eat it.
  • Pyrofrost
    Options
    I know that "just eat it" is probably the most common and only answer and I agree to an extent, but bear in mind that I just find it very difficult. For over 15 years I've been accustomed to different foods that exclude vegetables or fruit, so I was hoping that I could get some advice on how to get the ball rolling.

@worm5996: Thanks for your suggestion, I'm definitely going to try going for something mixed, and if that doesn't work, I'll most likely start out very small with food like peas and whatnot.

@britishbrocco: Apparently my Mum had taken me to therapy when I was younger - at around the age of 5 or 6 I believe. She said nothing was wrong with my sudden change in eating habits, but 15 years on I believe it's going to become problematic. With regards to my account, my previous account was under an email address which I had problem accessing, so I had to remake a new account. And yes, I'm 19 but turning 20 in a month, I don't see much of a difference either way if the site is 18+ nonetheless. Thanks for your suggestion however.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Not sure what over advice people can give then?

I doubt you have tried EVERY single vegetable and fruit that exists, so how do you know you don't like any of them? Especially when you can have them cooked in so many different ways or raw?

This!

Sugar is not an acquired taste.....but salt is. Yet, we eat way too much salt everyday.

If you want to acquire a taste for veggies & fruits....you will. Not ALL of them....and that's ok. Keep on trying....there is no magic.

Some veggies have strong flavors & others do not. Some veggies are related. If you find one you like....look for the same plant group.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a grandson with the same kind of eating disorder. He eats basically the same things every day. Only a couple of veggies like carrots and lettuce...............only raw of course. For years he would not eat chocolate, which is not a bad thing, but he does now. His mother actually introduced rice to him one grain at a time. He found he liked wild rice and would pick it out of the mix to eat first. It is a huge problem but I think if you really would like to change and frankly, become more socially acceptable, you can do it. Psychologists might help but only if they are acquainted with this kind of thing.

You can do this, one tiny bit at a time if you want, and it is in your best interest health, and socially, to do so. Good luck to you.