3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
6 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth low salt
1 chipotle chili in adobo minced or more to taste
6 oz sharp cheddar shredded
2 tbs cider vinegar
2 sliced scallions.. for garnish heat oil in a large dutch oven over med heat add onion..celery.. and salt and cook stirring occasionally until the onion is softened and starting to brown about 7 mins stir in cumin and cinnamon and cook until the spices are fragrant about 30 seconds add sweet potatoes and broth cover increase heat to high and bring to a simmer reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook uncovered until the potatoes are completely soft and falling apart about 20 mins add chili and vinegar and remove from the heat
working in batches carefully transfer a few cups of the sweet potato mixture to a blender and puree. .take glass top off of blender so steam can leave put a towel over the hole .....just info cause i learned the hard way stir cheddar into the soup until completely melted serve immediately with the scallions on top...........enjoy remember tip nothing to worry about blowing up in your face like it did 2 me......lol

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you use an immersion blender you can avoid the risk of blender blowups.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you use an immersion blender you can avoid the risk of blender blowups.

The actual recipe does mention an immersion blender

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/dialogs/recipes/printRecipe.php?id=923
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Jim was a very nice man but because of a "few" he felt the need to quit MFP. Even if he did copy and post recipes what did that matter? Everyone does it and no one cares. There are thousands of variations of recipes out there. Why was it such a big deal to make this man feel so bad that he couldn't contribute? Mean and no reason for it.........
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Jim was a very nice man but because of a "few" he felt the need to quit MFP. Even if he did copy and post recipes what did that matter? Everyone does it and no one cares. There are thousands of variations of recipes out there. Why was it such a big deal to make this man feel so bad that he couldn't contribute? Mean and no reason for it.........

I hope everyone who was so CONSTANTLY picking apart his recipes is happy. He was on my friends list and got to know him well. He was a chef in New York, owned his own restaurant and then had a massive stroke. Had been in a nursing home and just recently on his own. He thought he was helping other people that is why I so vehemently tried to defend him. Those who berated him on a constant basis, I hope you sleep well . Was it that important to always have the last word????.
  • cpdiminish
    Options

I didn't know Jim, but I totally agree with this sentiment. Seems as if some of the members of MFP personify the term troll. You'd think they'd be out living life if they could rather than making themselves feel important online.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Only at MFP where pointing out plagiarism and content theft is considered mean since a person liked doing it. You seem to miss the point, all he had to do was attribute the recipe where he found it. If he was on any other food minded/recipe site and pulled the same stuff he would have been banned for stealing others recipes and posting them with zero attribution. I guess those sites with those policies are mean websites and there is no reason for requiring attribution.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    You just don't get it do you??? He wasn't on other sites. He was on this one. How many other people have been bullied out of here because of people like you. I don't dislike you , I feel sorry for you because of who you are, not what you are. I'm done. Have a good one...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Only at MFP where pointing out plagiarism and content theft is considered mean since a person liked doing it. You seem to miss the point, all he had to do was attribute the recipe where he found it. If he was on any other food minded/recipe site and pulled the same stuff he would have been banned for stealing others recipes and posting them with zero attribution. I guess those sites with those policies are mean websites and there is no reason for requiring attribution.

Wow OP has left. You are a beeeeeeeep beeeeep. He was a nice man just sharing recipes he likes. He had a stroke. What part of that don't you get? So what if he isn't thinking 100% straight and announcing where the recipe is from. Jezzzz. Now he's gone. I hope he is ok.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    Though I agree that recipes from other sources should be cited, calling out a person publicly like that is just rude. And what kind of human being spends their time fact-checking other people's posts?

Of course, I can't also help feel sorry for all parties here because I'm aware that all bullies are the victims of abuse themselves, just too ensconced in their own pain to realize that they are broadcasting their scars to the world.

Insecurities, defense mechanisms, we've all got them, no matter how many bulges in our abs.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Though I agree that recipes from other sources should be cited, calling out a person publicly like that is just rude. And what kind of human being spends their time fact-checking other people's posts?

Of course, I can't also help feel sorry for all parties here because I'm aware that all bullies are the victims of abuse themselves, just too ensconced in their own pain to realize that they are broadcasting their scars to the world.

Insecurities, defense mechanisms, we've all got them, no matter how many bulges in our abs.

Perfectly stated.