Steel Cut Oats

Options
Kestrelwings
Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
After searching, I finally found some steel cut / pinhead oats in a healthfood shop here in the UK.

I am looking for yummy ideas to try with them. Any favourite recipes that anyone would be willing to share?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Options
    You could try mixing a variety of fruit with it, or a teaspoon of almond butter for some added richness.
    Almost anything can go with oatmeal! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I mix in chocolate protein powder and greek yogurt (banana flavor). :love:
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    During fall/winter I like to make it in the crockpot overnight so I get several servings for the week (cinnamon apple, pumpkin spice, peach). When I just want to make a few servings for a couple days though I'll make it on the stove and add 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree to the mix, or honey and sliced/mashed bananas.

I also just had a thought. I made strawberry granola a few weeks back and that involved pureeing raw strawberries and a bit of water in the blender- it made a thick puree. You could easily add this to a pan of oats along with some sugar or whatever sweetener you prefer.

Soy/almond/regular milk and cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder. Adding a banana or banana flavored yogurt like christianwife mentioned would be delish too.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just made my first batch of 'overnight' oats, with a dash of 'cookies and cream' flavour from my protein powder. Looks OK so far, can't wait to see how it improves with each day of 'sampling' :-) Like the idea of only having to cook one big batch per week!
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like chunky peanut butter in mine
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen these in Australia. Do you just cook them like usual oats?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen these in Australia. Do you just cook them like usual oats?

I get them from "Vitimin Me" (a chain I think) in Hobart so you can definitely get them here in Australia. Try your local health food stores maybe.

They're a lot more dense than normal oats so require more cooking time. I like them better though