Could you offer me some suggestions?

Options
If any of you are willing to take a look at my diary for today and offer some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Please don't look or judge by the weekend, because I ate like crap, lol. Today is a good example of how I would like to eat. I was doing low carb I added a lot of extra fat (butter in my coffee, etc) to bring up the calories but it made me feel really yucky and I found it very "heavy". I ate well today, in a way that made me feel good, and I am still low on calories. What foods would you suggest adding? I could always add sugary treats ;) but I know those aren't the best choice....

I was thinking an avocado...I do have some almonds...I'm just feeling kind of stuck and would love some ideas!!

FYI: yes, I ate the same thing for lunch and supper - leftovers, lol. But it is reflective of how I would eat, a veggie and a meat. The taco soup listed is a mixture of ground beef, tomatoes, celery, peppers and some black beans with a bit of seasoning. (homemade, no store bought seasoning)

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I didn't look but judging by your post, did you fall off the wagon as a reason to your week not looking so well? If you did, may I address why? I find the best way to succeed is to not deprive. Moderation has been my success and may be key to yours as well. Don't look at foods as "good" or "bad". Judge them purely on their nutrient density. Their micro and macro breakdowns. A wise person once said, "You don't get extra credit for eating more nutrients than your body requires", so once you have those targets, that leaves you with "fun"calories. Have you read this? This was monumentally helpful to me getting started. Don't be to hard on yourself if you have a bad day, just keep moving forward

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    How about some vegetables? Spinach with olive oil/garlic/red pepper flakes. An apple has great fiber, which you only have 20 grams today.

Almonds and avocado are great.

Try subbing the plain yogurt for the full fat sour cream (I love it too!)

I would be hungry if that's all I ate today - but that's me.

good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely no expert on what 'clean' eating is but judging just from Monday, I'd say, you're not there. Basically everything in your diary has a brand name.

Fresh food that has little to no processing is what you're looking for if you want to eat 'clean' and I think the die hards stay away from dairy etc too. I think going completely clean might be a struggle for you but you could definitely do with adding some stuff that hasn't had the life processed out of it. Basing this view purely on Mondays entries ( I don't eat 'clean' btw).
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If I was you I would be thinking about how to reach my protein goal and I would do it by eating something that I would enjoy preferably. You even have room for a hamburger or a pizza slice with extra meat on top!

so here are my other suggestions:
    yogurt
    nuts
    chicken
    turkey
    tofu
    ALMONDS!!!
    a whey protein milkshake
    toasted cheese sandwich
    bacon and eggs
    ham and scalloped potatoes

there is nothing wrong with high fat foods if it fits your macros.

And listen to sugarylynx:)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't offer any suggestions (and didn't realise your soup was homemade, I'm uk, don't know all the brand names).

I'd replace your granola with oats or bran, just a big bag of the cheap stuff, no ready made, fortified with this or that guff. I'd go full fat on the sour cream and real cheese instead of that plasticky stuff.

What about getting some more good fats in, eggs, avacado, nuts etc.

You could also lose weight not eating 'clean' then you could still enjoy small amounts of the stuff you like.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Olive oil, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, more grains if you can digest them (no reason to be gluten free unless you need to medically). You can regulate the gluten (ie cut down on the products with wheat but not cut them out completely) and still get a lot of the same benefits as some have discovered by going gluten free. I've done that and have seen an improvement in my seasonal allergies, headaches as well mental clarity. Again, that's a suggestion and what's worked for me may not work for you.

These are all things I'd suggest. If you're only going to eat 3 meals daily and no snacks, then shoot for balancing them out so they are even. There's also the belief of eating like a King, a Peasant and a Pauper (eat big at Breakfast, smaller at lunch and then your smallest meal for dinner).

More veggies and fruits for carbs and fiber.

Adjust until you find what works for you. My body does like a high protein, reasonable fat daily diet (carbs and sugars don't seem to affect it too much). My taste buds like the full fat stuff, fried foods, high calorie low nutrition stuff and the taste buds have trained the brain (due to too many years of not regulating it). So I have to find my happy medium between those two things. That's why I'm trying to live by the 80/20 rule, eating healthy 80% of the time and eating not as healthy (sometimes downright awful) 20% of the time. I'll be honest, some weeks it's more like 60/40 and some weeks it's been 90/10 plus everything in between.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I will just throw this out there….rather then focusing on eating "clean" why don't you just shoot for moderately healthy - chicken, meat, pork, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, fruits, vegetable,s etc, and then mix in some of the things that you like - cheese, ice cream, cookies, pizza etc….and make sure that you are in a calorie deficit and hitting your macro targets for the day.

A more balanced approach will help you balance things out and will lead to less "binging" or feeling like you ate like "crap", because at the end of the day there is really no crap food, just food with different macro percents, calorie counts, etc, that your body uses for energy…
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I didn't look but judging by your post, did you fall off the wagon as a reason to your week not looking so well? If you did, may I address why? I find the best way to succeed is to not deprive. Moderation has been my success and may be key to yours as well. Don't look at foods as "good" or "bad". Judge them purely on their nutrient density. Their micro and macro breakdowns. A wise person once said, "You don't get extra credit for eating more nutrients than your body requires", so once you have those targets, that leaves you with "fun"calories. Have you read this? This was monumentally helpful to me getting started. Don't be to hard on yourself if you have a bad day, just keep moving forward

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I started out on a very low carb diet - no more than 20 carbs a day, no grains, no sugars, etc. It worked for a while but I was rather miserable and did not get the results I wanted - so u have officially switched plans as of today. I love that bit about "fun" calories, but if I look at my numbers I am nowhere near full on all my nutrients.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    I'm absolutely no expert on what 'clean' eating is but judging just from Monday, I'd say, you're not there. Basically everything in your diary has a brand name.

Fresh food that has little to no processing is what you're looking for if you want to eat 'clean' and I think the die hards stay away from dairy etc too. I think going completely clean might be a struggle for you but you could definitely do with adding some stuff that hasn't had the life processed out of it. Basing this view purely on Mondays entries ( I don't eat 'clean' btw).

I'm sorry, this may be my error. How I eat is what I call clean. Basic foods and ingredients. No frankenfoods. Yes many items have a brand name, but sour cream is sour cream - it is pretty basic.

*edited my original post to take out the confusing "clean"
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    If I was you I would be thinking about how to reach my protein goal and I would do it by eating something that I would enjoy preferably. You even have room for a hamburger or a pizza slice with extra meat on top!

so here are my other suggestions:
    yogurt
    nuts
    chicken
    turkey
    tofu
    ALMONDS!!!
    a whey protein milkshake
    toasted cheese sandwich
    bacon and eggs
    ham and scalloped potatoes

there is nothing wrong with high fat foods if it fits your macros.

And listen to sugarylynx:)

I know I am low on protein. Honestly I am not sure how to add it besides snacks of meat. I mean, I ate servings of protein/meat at all three meals and am still only half way there.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    Olive oil, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, more grains if you can digest them (no reason to be gluten free unless you need to medically). You can regulate the gluten (ie cut down on the products with wheat but not cut them out completely) and still get a lot of the same benefits as some have discovered by going gluten free. I've done that and have seen an improvement in my seasonal allergies, headaches as well mental clarity. Again, that's a suggestion and what's worked for me may not work for you.

These are all things I'd suggest. If you're only going to eat 3 meals daily and no snacks, then shoot for balancing them out so they are even. There's also the belief of eating like a King, a Peasant and a Pauper (eat big at Breakfast, smaller at lunch and then your smallest meal for dinner).

More veggies and fruits for carbs and fiber.

Adjust until you find what works for you. My body does like a high protein, reasonable fat daily diet (carbs and sugars don't seem to affect it too much). My taste buds like the full fat stuff, fried foods, high calorie low nutrition stuff and the taste buds have trained the brain (due to too many years of not regulating it). So I have to find my happy medium between those two things. That's why I'm trying to live by the 80/20 rule, eating healthy 80% of the time and eating not as healthy (sometimes downright awful) 20% of the time. I'll be honest, some weeks it's more like 60/40 and some weeks it's been 90/10 plus everything in between.

I hear you on what the taste buds like! Lol!! I am hoping to get better at moderation of those things, and right now the difficulty is making sure my options are healthier And just adding a few treats, not the other way around! Lol!

I do sometimes eat snacks, my work schedule did not allow it today. Sometimes it will allow 2 snacks but no lunch, etc. I will just try to do the best I can. :)
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    I will just throw this out there….rather then focusing on eating "clean" why don't you just shoot for moderately healthy - chicken, meat, pork, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, fruits, vegetable,s etc, and then mix in some of the things that you like - cheese, ice cream, cookies, pizza etc….and make sure that you are in a calorie deficit and hitting your macro targets for the day.

A more balanced approach will help you balance things out and will lead to less "binging" or feeling like you ate like "crap", because at the end of the day there is really no crap food, just food with different macro percents, calorie counts, etc, that your body uses for energy…

I am nowhere near my macro targets. Percentage wise, yes. But gram wise? Not even close. I have no idea how to eat to get them besides eating wayyy more meat and adding more fat. Which would then mean I would have no calories left for the things I like, as you suggest.

And I do hear you on the binging, that is why I am ditching low carb. Way too restrictive.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Butter in your coffee? I can't even begin to understand why someone would put butter in their coffee.

If you feel "heavy" from adding fat to your diet but want to increase your calories, swap out extra fat for extra carbohydrates (whole grain bread or pasta) or protein sources (full fat milk or yogurt, boiled eggs - one of my favourites, lean meats, etc.).

Eat larger portions of what you are eating.

Try to add some variety to your diet -- fruit, veg, meat etc.
    If any of you are willing to take a look at my diary for today and offer some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Please don't look or judge by the weekend, because I ate like crap, lol. Today is a good example of how I would like to eat. I was doing low carb I added a lot of extra fat (butter in my coffee, etc) to bring up the calories but it made me feel really yucky and I found it very "heavy". I ate well today, in a way that made me feel good, and I am still low on calories. What foods would you suggest adding? I could always add sugary treats ;) but I know those aren't the best choice....

I was thinking an avocado...I do have some almonds...I'm just feeling kind of stuck and would love some ideas!!

FYI: yes, I ate the same thing for lunch and supper - leftovers, lol. But it is reflective of how I would eat, a veggie and a meat. The taco soup listed is a mixture of ground beef, tomatoes, celery, peppers and some black beans with a bit of seasoning. (homemade, no store bought seasoning)
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am nowhere near my macro targets. Percentage wise, yes. But gram wise? Not even close. I have no idea how to eat to get them besides eating wayyy more meat and adding more fat. Which would then mean I would have no calories left for the things I like, as you suggest.

And I do hear you on the binging, that is why I am ditching low carb. Way too restrictive.

my diary is open feel free to browse it ….

what is your calorie target for the day?
  • jamiesokd
    Options

My target is 1750, this is what Mfp has given me, and what sites like the scooby one suggest.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My target is 1750, this is what Mfp has given me, and what sites like the scooby one suggest.

OK - I eat about 2200 a day and I have no problem fitting in the foods I want, staying in a deficit, and hitting my macros..

a 5 oz filet mignon is about 400 calories so have that with some vegetables sautéed in oil and you are looking at like 500 calories for dinner….or you can have a NY strip …or some chicken breasts, pork chops etc..

if you divide there meals into 500 each and then leave 250 for treats and what not you should be able to hit all your targets..