Running and Frustrated!

Options
I am doing the equivalent to the C25K program on RunKeeper, which I started at the beginning of April. As of this morning, I am up 2 lbs. I understand that I should be gaining muscle, but should I still have gained 2 lbs? I have actually been working out more than the program requires. I am watching my calories and aiming for a 1 lb a week loss, but still no success in losing. I feel much healthier, but I want to lose the weight so my outside matches how I feel physically. Is there anyone who has any advice on this?
Thanks in advance! :explode:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's much more likely to be water weight than new muscle growth. Our bodies flood sore muscles with extra fluid to help cushion and repair them. This can lead to a slight gain on the scale, but it's a temporary one. Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out any excess and you should see the scale move in the right direction soon.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    naw you are not gaining muscle...you are retaining water and glycogen.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I knew that couldn't make sense, but everyone was telling me that I was adding muscle.
  • knitcandi
    knitcandi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I run too and I try not to weigh myself more than once a week. My long runs tend to make me puffy (swell) so even though I've burned 1,000 calories I will weigh a little more the next day. Trying to only weigh once a week saves me a lot of frustration! Congrats on your plan!
  • katseguin
    katseguin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    yep, what they said! Water retention for muscle repair. It's temporary. Keep going!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As long as you're logging accurately, it's almost certainly fluid retention. I doubt that it's glycogen storage, since you would need to be eating close to maintenance to increase your glycogen--unless you're unconsciously moving less when you're not running than you used to.
  • sprawn59
    sprawn59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in total agreement with the other posts. Fluid retention is the only explanation for what you are experiencing. It will eventually cease and you will begin to see the results you seek. Just do not give up!
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ditto what everyone else said I experience the same thing gain 1 to 2 lbs. after running long distance an then after awhile it returns an goes down
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you all... makes me feel much better! I didn't plan on giving up... just thought I was doing something wrong.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add. Great response above covered it! Keep on running!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I too agree with everyone on the water weight! When I ran my half over the weekend my fingers looked like bratwurst when I finished. Keep on keeping on! Great job!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    After spending 2013 making 5-6 trips a week to the gym (mostly lifting and intervals on the treadmill), this year I'm getting into running. I did change from a high protein diet intended to build muscle to eating more carbs (try to keep them mostly healthy). I lost 78 pounds last year (some before joining MFP), and now have gained about 8 of them back. But the runs are getting longer and easier and the pants and shorts I bought at the end of 2013 (went from 40 to 32 inches) don't feel any tighter so I'm not that worried. As long as I constantly FEEL fitter while running, I'm happy.