New and Pregnant!

Options
Hello there! I am wondering if there is anyone out there in my same position! I am 22 weeks pregnant and gained a whopping 60 lbs. with my first child. I am trying to keep that from happening this time and am fighting hard to squeeze in 30 min. walks daily between a work/ home life balance. I find it almost impossible to get to the gym anymore and have a terrible sweet tooth. I am beginning to log my food on MYFITNESSPAL which I hope will deter me from a crazy weight gain again. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• ZumbaMami
    Options
    I also gained 60+ lbs with my first baby...it was hard! I was also diagnosed with BED...(Binge Eating Disorder) and gained a lot more. I find whenever I want something sweet I grab an apple because they are so sweet....add some peanut butter for the protein you need. I have a little way to go to get to where I want to be, but MFP is helping...best of luck!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs. for each of my 3 pregnancies! I would recommend walking....I did a lot of walking during my pregnancies, and I think it helped me to get rid of the weight afterward, and during the delivery! (But definitely check with your Doctor before adding anything new to your fitness program right now!)
  • nilisabel
    Options
    check with your doctor and ask him/her about the change in insulin around those weeks of pregnancy and why hyperglycemia is so bad for the baby. Your doctor can help you with this.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hate to be noisy and you don't have to answer are you currently over weight? With my son I was ( 236) and I actually lost 30 pounds pregnant( it is not frowned not by dr's for overweight women to lose during preganncy). You need to figure out your BMR and add 500, I would not follow the calorie count of MFP, find your BMR mine is 2300 ( I eat 1300, but you need that 2300) plus another 500, and you will likely still find yourself losing. Good luck! I am not discouraging calorie counting btw, especially when you are pregnant you really forget how much or what we are putting into our bodies!
  • kaitlyn1818
    Options
    Just hope to gain 1 pound a week. That's what is the recommended so I started doing that because I wasn't gaining the one pound a week. I was only gaining like 2 pounds a month. If you shoot to only gain one pound a week then you'll stay in the 25-30 pounds extra range...and stretch marks won't really be that much of an issue. Just watch you're nutrients levels and don't over eat.. pretty simple.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    I was 190 before I got pregnant with my son, I gained a ton while i was pregnant. I didn't even have a chance to lose it all before I got pregnant again with my daughter. (They are 14 months apart). I gained a lot while pregnant with her to. Which i don't quite understand as for the first 5 months i could hardly keep anything down.

I still haven't lost all the weight from my previous pregnancies, and am now 17weeks along with baby #3. At my first appointment in Nov i weighed in at 243, in dec i was 240 and i'm now 237. i'm not trying to lose weight, but i'm also eating a lot better so i don't gain like crazy again. i've been eating healthy (when i can eat....still horrible sickness) and walking. i don't drive so me and the kids walk everywhere.

My doctor told me that because I am heavier that it's ok for me to lose or maintain, but not to diet. she said just eat right and exercise. my back is screwed up and i get weird pains while pregnant so the only exercise that doesn't hurt is walking lol!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You don't have to try and lose weight just try and eat healthier for you and baby...and good for you, you can keep it up through your preganncy it will be easier when you deliver!
  • kaitlyn1818
    Options
    I was watching this tv program and this lady was loosing weight during pregnancy and her doctor fully recommended that. She just ate a 2100 calorie diet only (which is what I eat, however I struggle to eat that much) and did a moderate exercise program and the baby came out very healthy. It's all in the eating and exercising habits. Loosing weight isn't hard. Establishing the habits is the hard part. Once you establish the habits your body pretty much does the rest for you.