Help ... Ideas please

Options
Nt2Badhuh
Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
OK so I just answered another users post and my answer got me thinking. OK so first here is the dilemma. I have 2 jobs,an internship,i volunteer and i'm a full time student so I am being quite literal when I say I have NO days off.. I have tried to get rid of most fast food but in order to do that and make my goals, I have been eating the same 10 items.... canned soup, pretzels and occasionally ill get a frozen dinner in there if it happens to be a rare day where I have a fridge available. So I am just curious if you guys can think of anything to get me out of my rut that will be able to survive without a fridge with VERYYYY little prep time....

oh and also i'm a student so be aware of that budget wise. lol

okay now GO..... lol

my diary is open so you can see what i have been doing... IGNORE FRIDAY I HAD A VERRRYYY BAD DAY lol

Replies

• asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Add in some fruits and veggies and maybe snack less on pretzels. Those few things you listed are all high in sodium!

Sandwiches or wraps are easy to make. Can you pack a lunch/dinner in a lunch bag? Add a few ice packs and you're good to go!

I can make my lunch+snacks for the next day in about 5-10 mins. I'm very guilty of eating the same stuff for lunch each day but I like what I eat! I usually pack a sandwich (turkey, spinach, lite mayo), baby carrots and yogurt or fruit for lunch. Snacks vary a bit but I like to pack a fruit (apple, banana or clementines), string cheese, nature valley protein bars, etc.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend going to get a portable cooler. You can find them at most grocery stores, and of course bigger chain stores like walmart, albertsons, etc. They come in various sizes, typically geared around how many 6 packs they can hold :)

The nicer ones have a pocket above that stays cool, but dry. Awesome for certain types of foods that you don't want taking a bath.

But if that's not an option:
    Mixed nuts
    Jerky
    Dry roasted edamamme
    Citrus fruits
    Apples/pears
    Dried fruit
    Quaker multigrain quakes
    Protein bars
    Homemade oatmeal protein bars
    Peanut butter & banana
    Granola
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    yeah sandwiches in my past experience have not held up in the very hot climate I live in and I know fruits and veggies would not last all day.

yeah everything I eat right now has SOOOOO much sodium but they are also things that can sit out for 8+ hours without turning brown or tasting gross.

I hadn't thought about ice packs...if you think they'll hold up in Arizona I guess it'd be worth the try
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    I would highly recommend going to get a portable cooler. You can find them at most grocery stores, and of course bigger chain stores like walmart, albertsons, etc. They come in various sizes, typically geared around how many 6 packs they can hold :)

The nicer ones have a pocket above that stays cool, but dry. Awesome for certain types of foods that you don't want taking a bath.

But if that's not an option:
    Mixed nuts
    Jerky
    Dry roasted edamamme
    Citrus fruits
    Apples/pears
    Dried fruit
    Quaker multigrain quakes
    Protein bars
    Homemade oatmeal protein bars
    Peanut butter & banana
    Granola

thank you... I love jerky and THANKS I DONT KNOW HOW I FORGOT ABOUT SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS AN ORANGE.... wow * slow moment* I can't do nuts though but I appreciate the ideas
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I both work A LOT. We chop vegetables for salads, and pre wrap (and freeze) burritos for the week. You just gotta get creative. Think outside the mealtime box. Good luck!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like the Starkist Tuna Creations. They come in a variety of flavors and the pouches are easy to take anywhere.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Options
    Thankies...guys I think the pre preparing thing will work more if i get one of those cooler things.... hmmm Making the food isnt the problem sometimes its making something that can sit outside a fridge for hours while I work so that cooler thing might be something I really have to investigate....

and also I have been thinking about tuna more too so that is a good idea.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I pack my pre sliced apple in a sandwich bag and take it to work in my lunch bag. Not even trying to keep it cool or anything. A fruit will last outside the fridge for days and won't necessarily get nasty. The sandwich bag just helps me pack it and if you're concerned about the smell it won't let it get out :). I bet apples, grapes, pears, bananas etc would do get as well, sandwich bag or no
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'd get a cooler thing and pack real, cooked food. Leftovers are good. Cook enough to have lunch the next day. With your busy schedule you're going to need good food to keep going!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    First off, I have good weeks and some not so good. I work 12.5 hour shifts with a 3 hour commute. I fully understand that time is a problem. I have individual packs of lightly salted edamame, seaweed snacks and mini bags of popcorn. Boiled eggs are quick. Heck, I have taken a can of drained chickpeas and thrown in a little chili powder and cumin powder for quick food. Pieces of fruit like apples and bananas are always an easy option for me. I like to make large a large stir fry and split it up over several days. Eating left overs makes it so you don't have to count calories again (just copy the calories from the previous day). A frozen water bottle will keep your food cold
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thankies...guys I think the pre preparing thing will work more if i get one of those cooler things.... hmmm Making the food isnt the problem sometimes its making something that can sit outside a fridge for hours while I work so that cooler thing might be something I really have to investigate....

and also I have been thinking about tuna more too so that is a good idea.
    We also have tupperware type containers with built in ice. I just freeze it overnight and it's good to go.