OBESE AND NEED HELP!

Options

Replies

• FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I was 340 at my highest and am 290 now. Having made some changes it seems easier now but at the beginning it was so daunting that I could barely start. Now I delay breakfast and just have light food through the day so I can have a big dinner and treat at night (man can I eat at night). But one of the best things for me was just starting to log my food as I had no idea how much was in different foods. You will find foods that you enjoy, fill you up, and fit in your goals so logging is the key to starting.

^^^ This is good advice. You have to find what works for you, but finding low calorie filling foods that you like is great start.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I looked through a few days of your diary. I think the first change you should make is to limit yourself to eating out once a day. Eating out was my problem too, but since I'm a short woman, all it took was one meal out a day to put me far above my calorie limit. Since you're a taller guy, you have more room to fit a fast food meal in every day.

Do that for a few days, eat breakfast and a dinner full of veggies at home. See if you can keep it under your calorie limit.

Then start to move. Doesn't have to be some fancy form of exercise. Go for a walk, adding a few more minutes each day. There's a mantra that goes around MFP - eat less, move more. Usually, it really is that simple.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    Try changing one thing in your diet to a healthier option.

Example: I love candy. I switched from candy bars to protein bars among other things.

BekaBooluvsu is right. Obviously, a drastic change does need to be made but steps at a time. Like she said, switch more unhealthful foods in your everyday diet to more healthful options.

I would also recommend never eating after a certain time of night (eg, I stop eating at 8pm everyday) because any food in your stomach while youre sleeping will never be used for energy, so it's a waste.

And drink SO much water. Go for 3L OF WATER a day. Nothing with caffeine or alcohol counts, but you should also stay away from excess cordials, milk, soft drinks, etc.

Then work towards a big breakfast, and then progressively smaller meals throughout the day. This helps with the wasted calories you sleep on, as well as helping reduce night time bingeing.

But you've joined here, and you've expressed a will to change, so as long as you stay strong it will work for you!! No doubt!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't kno how much protein you are getting as I can't see that in your diary - but I would concentrate on eating %35-40% of your calories from protein and add in rich fiber sources. Your fiber is REALLY low- fiber is not only good for you, but it also helps you feel full longer (as does protein). Since that seems to be an issue for you- that would be where I would start. If you replaced one meal a day with a good sized amount of chicken breast or a grilled steak, some brown rice, and some veggies at home, it would make a big impact. Good Luck!! Yuo can totally do this :smile:
  • texas1221
    Options
    First off congrats for starting an account here and being honest on your food diary. Myself, when I track my food and see how many calories i'm consuming I'm allot more hesitant to eat that burger/fries because I know I'm going to have to input those calories. So keep inputting your foods.

Start off easy:
    no sugar
    no fried foods
    No white carbs-flour products
    Then as you start to lose weight you wil learn more and more about eating whole non-processed foods.

Also, on any social media site you are on....instagram, twitter, facebook etc......follow fitness-minded people. seeing positive posts, workout posts, healthy eating posts all day in your news feed keeps you in that frame of mind. Surround yourself by individuals that lead a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck. You cany totally do this.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Start off easy:
    no sugar
    no fried foods
    Then as you start to lose weight you wil learn more and more about eating whole non-processed foods.

That's a pretty scary and hard thing to tell someone who eats only processed meals from restaurants. How is that easy? Heck, why is it necessary? I eat all of those things and lose weight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    All you need is a caloric deficit to get you started.

No need to torture yourself giving up the foods you love and that's the truth.

:drinker:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Try changing one thing in your diet to a healthier option.

Example: I love candy. I switched from candy bars to protein bars among other things.

BekaBooluvsu is right. Obviously, a drastic change does need to be made but steps at a time. Like she said, switch more unhealthful foods in your everyday diet to more healthful options.

I would also recommend never eating after a certain time of night (eg, I stop eating at 8pm everyday) because any food in your stomach while youre sleeping will never be used for energy, so it's a waste.

And drink SO much water. Go for 3L OF WATER a day. Nothing with caffeine or alcohol counts, but you should also stay away from excess cordials, milk, soft drinks, etc.

Then work towards a big breakfast, and then progressively smaller meals throughout the day. This helps with the wasted calories you sleep on, as well as helping reduce night time bingeing.

But you've joined here, and you've expressed a will to change, so as long as you stay strong it will work for you!! No doubt!

Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. Please OP only restrict yourself in this manner if you find that it somehow works for you. Your body does not know what time it is. Excess calories eaten will get stored. The body will dip into its on stores if you're in a deficit. End of.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would say this ..for now, just eat the foods you like, but less of them and try to incorporate some healthier items. 'healthy' does not have to be bad ..tonight I had grilled chicken breast with some barbecue sauce on them and some brown rice with vegetables and it was good..you can also have steak, pork, ice cream, pizza, etc..

Just eat in a deficit, and try not to restrict anything….as you start to lose weight you will learn how to incorporate healthier items...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi

I can only be honest with you because you have asked for help and there's no easy way to put it to you

You need to stop eating out
    You need to eat less, a lot less
    You need to eat real fresh food
    You need to start with eating a decent breakfast
    You need to examine and deal with the reasons why you eat what you eat and how much you eat
    You do need to do something drastic
    You need to seek medical advice about how you might achieve all this in a healthy way

actually, you can do none of this and lose weight..

weight loss is about calorie deficit….eat less then you burn and you will lose weight...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    First off congrats for starting an account here and being honest on your food diary. Myself, when I track my food and see how many calories i'm consuming I'm allot more hesitant to eat that burger/fries because I know I'm going to have to input those calories. So keep inputting your foods.

Start off easy:
    no sugar
    no fried foods

Also, on any social media site you are on....instagram, twitter, facebook etc......follow fitness-minded people. seeing positive posts, workout posts, healthy eating posts all day in your news feed keeps you in that frame of mind. Surround yourself by individuals that lead a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck. You cany totally do this.

no sugar????? no white carbs???? oh the bro science….I eat all those things and have lost fifty pounds and gotten to 12% body fat….
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and keep making good choices. Whatever you do remember never to give up. Those who succeed at anything never give up!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    All you need is a caloric deficit to get you started.

No need to torture yourself giving up the foods you love and that's the truth.

:drinker:
    This!
  • brstilson
    Options
    It's awesome you're here! You've started quite a journey.

I found it really hard to adjust to my diet, and to be honest I don't always follow it to the letter. But, most people don't follow a strict diet. Splurging once in a while is normal. The problem is, in my case, splurging became an everyday occurrence. Tracking my food intake on this site was an incredible boost to me, because it is far, far easier to forget what you've eaten when you can't keep a record of it. Think about what you ate yesterday. Can you remember every single food item in every detail or can you remember a few key items and the rest is kind of a blur? How about everything you've eaten in the last week?

It is SO easy to forget what you eat. That's why tracking it is SO important! Once I got a realistic view of my food intake, I got a very sobering view of my diet. For example, the first day I started this, my lunch was McDonalds. Two McDoubles, a small fry, and a small coke. Well, that lunch was 1,300 calories. Almost all the food I could eat the entire day! And did that lunch fill me up? Did it satisfy me until dinner time? Heck no! I was hungry by 3. What a waste!

So, I started gravitating towards foods that kept me full longer. Soups helped (but watch the sodium!), because that warm liquid in my stomach for some reason quenches my hunger like nothing else does. But by far the biggest boon to my success so far (31 pounds in four months), is eating a very protein-rich breakfast. At first, I was just eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning, thinking this was a good idea for me. But my stomach would be torturing me by 10 am. It wasn't enough. Too many carbs. They burn off quickly and leave you wanting more. Now, I have turkey/canadian bacon and eggs almost every morning. What a difference! When I do eat fast food, I go to Wendys and get a Caesar Side Salad and Chili. So much more food, so much more satisfying, yet fewer calories than a burger. When I eat a proper high-protein, low carb breakfast and lunch, I have much better control over myself at dinner time, which is the crucial time for weight loss IMO.

Also, keep in mind the rewards. Today, I pulled down off the shelf and wore a button-down shirt that I have not been able to wear for 2 years. And I looked GREAT in it! I feel great almost every day! I don't have to choose between shirts I'm either swimming in (and thus look fatter) or bursting at the seams (and thus look fatter). Four months ago, I couldn't imagine feeling this way. And that's really the thing. Sometimes, in fact most of the time, it is actually easier to stay miserable. Why? Because even though being miserable feels awful, it requires no effort and no work. It's comfortable and easy to be miserable. Happiness takes work and effort. There is simply no way around this. Happiness is never easy, but it is worth it. Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.

Best of luck!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    About breakfast:

I'm not a breakfast person either. I forced myself to eat breakfast for awhile and all it really did was make me sluggish and waste time in the morning. I went back to my normal lunch, dinner and snacks routine and it works just fine.

I still eat in the morning if I want to... just don't really want to. No need to force yourself to do anything.

About your diet:

There's nothing wrong with eating out or eating fast food, I do so on a nearly daily basis, but eating all your meals out makes it hard to manage a calorie deficit (not to mention your wallet).

Since you pretty much eat two meals per day, why not eat one out and cook one?

Good luck.
  • EvanElric
    EvanElric Posts: 34
    Options
    Yeah, there's no need to drastically change over night. Just stay within the calories MFP recommends for you to lose weight.. You could probs eat 3000 cals a day and lose, so eat deep fried or sugary foods if that's what you want.. Do whatever is easiest for you to stick to. Good luck :)
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    "Forcing" yourself to eat better is setting yourself up for failure; you'll feel deprived and bitter. When I finally changed my lifestyle it's because I did a lot of thinking first and was finally honest with myself. I put my goals out there, I realized where my health and future were heading if I didn't change, I finally understood that food is just fuel and I needed to cut my emotional ties with it. I learned to like vegetables and to make satisfying, filling meals that didn't include bread, pasta, grains or sugar (for medical reasons). You don't have to do that though - you can start by learning portion control. Eat everything you like now but learn what 1 serving is, especially at restaurants. If you find you go overboard when you go out to eat, make a majority of meals at home. Substitute vegetables for fries sometimes, get grilled chicken instead of fried, brown rice instead of white. These little changes will add up over time.

The most motivating thought for me is that I didn't get fat in one month so I'm not going to lose the weight in one month either. There is a learning curve and it is a process. If you wake up every day trying to do your best, you'll see results.

Well said . Sorry but there do need to be drastic changes - nothing is going to change if you keep on doing the same old thing and expecting different results. Start gently though - educate yourself about what is really in that food, do some research about the effect those things have on your body - your hormones, your mental health as well as your physical health. The first and most important step is changing your mindset.
    www.marksdailyapple.com is a great place to start as is http://whole30.com/ Lots of very good advice, they are not asking you to buy anything and there's some great motivating success stories too. Also check out the Success Stories in the community here, super inspiring!
    Feel free to add me if you want support, best of luck for your journey :-)
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Hi

I can only be honest with you because you have asked for help and there's no easy way to put it to you

You need to stop eating out No
    You need to eat less, a lot less
    You need to eat real fresh food No
    You need to start with eating a decent breakfast No
    You need to examine and deal with the reasons why you eat what you eat and how much you eat
    You do need to do something drastic No
    You need to seek medical advice about how you might achieve all this in a healthy way
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Here are some links with really good information that will help you get started. Take the time to read them and all the links in them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Good luck and you can do this. It takes time and patience along with a little help along the way.
  • kerryquinn
    Options
    Nothing more to offer in terms of advice, but I think it's really awesome that your logging in and accounting for everything you're eating. Sometimes the first step is just facing how many calories you're consuming. One thing I didn't notice in your diary was any exercise deductions: so it's time to get moving now. Even just a bit of walking. Log it in. Sometimes when I see how hard I have to work to earn those calories from junk food, it makes me make a different choice when I'm eating. Good luck to you!