What's some different, delicious ways to cook veges?

Options
How do you cook your veges? What seasonings do you use? :)

Replies

• madeleine123
    Options
    I love steaming carrots and green beans by the bucket load, and then tossing them lightly through honey! DELICIOUS!
    Works really well with broccoli actually! :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love veges tossed with a bit of sesame oil (a tiny bit goes a long way), with garlic and chilli.

Honey and flaked almonds are great with beans and carrots, brussel sprouts are amazing roasted with a little olive oil, salt and cracked pepper, dukka can be so varied and is awesome on just about anything, cauliflower soaks up flavour really well and is good sprinkled with a whole variety of spice blends...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I steam most of mine.

The other night I pan fried a quarter of a cabbage in a knob of butter. OMG - delicious!!

Cauliflower is great if you cut up into florets, toss in olive oil and garlic and roast in the oven with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.
  • 1reneeski
    1reneeski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been buying the Green Giant steamers, or pictsweet ones. Whatever is on sale really. I wait until they are on sale for $1 or less, lol. Very yummy!

When i don't have those in the freezer, I steam mine. I steam them (rice too), then I put either lemon juice on them, or just creole seasoning. Sometimes I use Parkay Spray butter. Love them!

Have fun!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am lazy. I broil my veggies. Almost everything is yummy tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil, sprinkled with a little sea salt and broiled. Some things have their yumminess increased by squeezing on a little fresh lemon juice too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Any veggie roasted in the oven with EVOO & fresh ground sea salt (I like The Alder smoked salt and the Lemon Lavender salt from Epicure) and pepper. Also any veggie in chunks in a specially designed roasting pan for the BBQ grill that has little holes in it.

For those of us in Canada: all the Epicure spice combos (I especially love Berber, and Harissa, Cajun, and Jamaican Jerk - no salt or gluten, just spices)
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I roast practically everything :) everything can be roasted with seasoning and olive oil (I generally go without oil but that is my preference) love roasted brussel sprouts, tomatoes, broccoli etc - got some corn in the cob in the husk, those went in the oven as well
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Roasted, steamed with some onion powder, salt and pepper, in fried rice, in ratatouille, mashed...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I grill them on the BBQ in a foil container with a little olive oil with various spices, roast them in the oven with olive oil and various spices, I boil them, steam them add butter, I cook carrots in butter so that they get a glaze.

Play with different oils and spices.
  • Irishb118
    Irishb118 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found that I love roasted veggies and almost any vegetable roasts nicely. Suprisingly roasted radishes are so delicious! Changes the flavor of them completely. I cut my veggies up throw them in a bowl with a tiny bit of olive oil to coat then spread themn out on a cookie sheet and sprinkle sea salt and ground black pepper on them (sometimes mix in a little fresh garlic!) and then roast. when almost done I sprinkle a little bit of fresh param on them and they are amazing!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bacon- sautee in bacon.

it is the bestest.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    1 part OO, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part balsamic vinegar - pour over asparagus. Sprinkle spices on top (Garlic and dill are yummy - but whatever you are in the mood for). Bake at 350 for 10 mins, turn them over, bake another 10 mins... Viola! Better than candy!

I sauted some zuchinni with onions and garlic the other day... omg... I let the onions get a little caramelized and then tossed in the zuccs. OMG. To die for. (Hmmm... maybe I will do that tonight)

Kale chips.

Radishes roated in the oven with a little OO and salt and pepper - they come out tasting almost like potatoes. Yum!
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you all put your roasted veggies under the broiler, or set the oven to a certain temperature? Also, for how long? (Sorry to be daft, it's just with the price of veggies going up and up, I don't want to ruin them....) Thanks!